Micronor Brand Progestin Only Birth Control

Hiya-

due to me taking an AC (down from 2 to 1 as of yesterday), my nurse at PPH gave me Micronor. She failed to tell me that i have to take it within a 15-minute window every day for it to be effective. i was discussing depo with her and would have chosen depo had she told me this fact. lucky for me, the clinic worker who actually handed me my pills told me this or i wouldn't have known.

does anyone else here take micronor? any stories or successes? should i march back there right now and depand a depo shot?

about depo- their guidelines say that i'm young enough (28) to still get depo, however would have to stop every couple of years and have bone density tests. fine by me. when i'm done with this micronor, if i have the patience to take the stuff at all in 15-minute windows, i'll be back at PPH getting my shot.

loon

i've never been on a "mini pill" (progesterone only) because i'm a flake and my window for my pill is "evening"

but i've heard good things about them (less breast tenderness, etc.) you just really really have to take it at the same time every day. maybe set a daily alarm on your cell phone or something?

if you want to avoid estrogen, and are worried about weight gain, there is a progesterone IUD caled mirena. (here's the remedy find rating of mirena.) i personally want to be on mirena, but it's hard to get a lot of gynos to give an IUD to a woman in her 20s.

i hope it works out for you.

try setting an alarm.

if it doesn't work, well, you can switch in a month, right?

thanks for responding penny!

i'll have to set the alarm on my phone. if that doesn't do it, then in a month i'm switching to depo. i tried the IUD and they had trouble inserting it, causing me to almost faint and almost throw up on them, so we skipped that idea. maybe if they sedate me totally i could do it! lol

• 4 weeks later...

since i now have HPV i don't know if i'd still be a candidate for the IUD. i know that if i had had an IUD i would have been much more careful sexually, as an infection can mean big trouble if you have an IUD.

i've been taking the pills during my 15-minute window every day. i hate it, but it is necessary right now. i don't have the money to go in for another office visit to get the depo shot. the office visit would be $25 and the shot $60. i'd also want to get a bone density test.

i can get these things for free or much cheaper when i get my medicaid card, which should come in nov/dec. i know planned parenthood charges medicaid, and i think medicaid pays the full price, i'm not sure. i also don't know if they pay for the shot or if it is covered. i know they'd cover a bone density test.

i need to get the depo shot. i have ADD and use my phone right now for the alarm, but i do turn off my phone at night sometimes and can't be reliable to take the pill at the right time everyday. "sometime in the morning" is when i'm used to taking it, not exactly at 10am, which is when i take it now. i just can't forget to turn off my phone, which means no going out (i turn off my phone and don't remember to turn it back on). it is probably better for my med schedule anyway, because i take them all together.

I took a progestin only pill for a few years. the reason was that i was over 35 and smoked. most docs probably would have made me choose an alternative, but for me a pregancy would be a huge crises- and probably make me suicidal so weighing the options we went with the mini pill. the alarms are good- maybe someone else could help remind you. you could associate it with sometning that happens at the same time each day- i don't maybe the start of the 11 o'clock news or something. when i finally quit smoking i went back to a combined regular pill)

dee- i'll really heavily consider your advice about depo! i was thinking that i could do it for the first injection and see how it works in my body, and if i don't like it, to not do it again.

i actually had norplant inserted in my early 20s. that's a surgery you can't easily take back! it was fine until the period that lasted for 2 months- at which point i had it removed.

the shot is only for 3 months though, right? do you think i could ride it out if it sucks, or do you think it would make me crazy right away? what about it do you think made you crazy?

The problem with Depo is it can take up to 10 months to fully leave your system. It put me into the blackest depression I have ever felt. Yes it lasts 3 months, but the side effects can go on and on. Depression is a listed side effect, quite common actually.

thanks for the heads-up dee! i don't need MORE mental health issues, and stuff that won't leave my system for 10 months is scary. i have no plans on having a baby anytime soon, but i've read that it can hamper your fertlity for quite some time too.

the problem is the stupid short half-life on these pills. i'm going to ask for a pill with a longer half-life, even if i can't buy it at PPH and have to buy it at the pharmacy. they should accept medicaid, i hope?

Archived