changed docs

I am seeing a new p-doc who said that while he believes i do have a server mood disturbance and most probably bipolar type 2. he thinks the "jury is still out" on an offical dx.

My problem.

my old doc treated me for bipolar straight away and i have been mood stabilisers since i begun therapy. i have noticed these have evened out the massive swings but left me slightly more on the depressed side of life. all my hypomanic symptoms have been heeavily suppressed. for this reason and many others, in cluding a strong family history, i believe in the intial dx that i have bipolar 2.

i am scared though that because he never witnessed these mood swings he may not renew my script for meds i know i need. i mean logically i know he would give me the meds, cause i tell him how they are the only thing that has worked so far.

do you think it would be worth writing out for him a list of all the symptoms i used to display before i started the mood stabilisers and he can cross check these with his notes on me and my records etc etc.

Thanks.

I was kinda in the same boat as your. Changing pdocs and hoping they'll do what works for you. In my experience it was a positive one, my pdoc was open to meds I wanted to try and didn't mind keeping me on the same doses of my other meds. Writing stuff down like you mentioned has helped me alot with switching pdocs. I think it paints them a better picture of what's going on. Anyway, I don't know what else to say, good luck with your new doc!

yeah, i'd say make sure, darn sure, that this new pdoc has read your history and knows why you're on what. you may want to not only write a list of symptoms, but what symptoms are helped by what medication, and maybe even jot down a wish list of stuff you'd like to improve. my pnurse always asks me what i feel crappy about and what we can work on. just make sure that when you are with the pdoc that you jsut make darn sure they understand the things you've been through so they can write appropriate scripts. you know you do not want to end up in a situation where they don't think you need certain meds!

yeah, i'd say make sure, darn sure, that this new pdoc has read your history and knows why you're on what. you may want to not only write a list of symptoms, but what symptoms are helped by what medication, and maybe even jot down a wish list of stuff you'd like to improve. my pnurse always asks me what i feel crappy about and what we can work on. just make sure that when you are with the pdoc that you jsut make darn sure they understand the things you've been through so they can write appropriate scripts. you know you do not want to end up in a situation where they don't think you need certain meds!

i couldnt agree with that more make sure all the history is read !!!

Try www.moodtracker.com--you can chart all the ups and down, and then print it out fdor him so he has that in addition to your history--the more info you can give him the better!!! Speak up--be an informed consumer of your psych care, just like you would buy a car, or any important, expensivw thing.

(Sorry for the typing-=-am at my daughter's, she likes her AC in her appt. on the "Deep Freeze " setting, andmy fingers are frozen!!)

Brrrr-----

china (NORTHERN chhina)

Archived