I had a hormone profile taken at the doctors because my menstrual cycle had ceased, my prolactin levels are through the roof. Is it likely to be the Zyprexa or Haldol? What is the treatment for hyper-prolactin levels?

I don't want to give either drug up, they are miraculous for me...

Advice is appreciated

Blackbird x

I am sorrier than you could possibly know. This is exactly what happened with my dd and Risperdal and the doctors refused to let her stay on it because of potential fertility and breast cancer issues. It's infuriating. Take care~

DMF

I had a hormone profile taken at the doctors because my menstrual cycle had ceased, my prolactin levels are through the roof. Is it likely to be the Zyprexa or Haldol? What is the treatment for hyper-prolactin levels?

I don't want to give either drug up, they are miraculous for me...

Advice is appreciated

Blackbird x

hiya blackbird-

i take risperdal now, and i've taken zyprexa in the past. both cause lactation as a symptom, and i got the lactation. i haven't studied the side-effects of zyprexa like i have those of risperdal because my pnurse and i decided i'd be taking the risperdal, but since they both mess with prolactin, i'm assuming that they have similiar side effect profiles as far as that goes. just an assumption.

i know risperdal can cause all sorts of female problems, from lactation to making you lose your period.

my prolactin levels are also through the roof.

i studied the problem of high prolactin and whether it was really a health risk, so that i could decide, based on the information i found, if i felt it was an acceptable risk to take risperdal. i found that high prolactin is loosely associated with an increase in certain cancers in lab rats, and the link in people is still being studied. it is thought to be very minimal based on the animal studies. brain cancer seems to be a worse threat, according to the studies i found once again, than any other disorder.

since i know how dangerous bipolar disorder is in terms of suicide, that an estimated 10% of bipolar patients commit suicide (including my father, and both my sister and i have tried), i feel that it is a far greater risk that i kill myself than cancer gets me. so, with this informed consent, i choose to take risperdal because i know it keeps me stable and without it i'd be in further danger of killing myself. i'm in more danger from myself than from any cancers due to my hormone levels.

that is just according to the research i found and discussed with my health care team. they agreed to let me stay on risperdal because of my arguments and that i was giving informed consent.

i did a lot of research on this because i know it is controversial and i wanted to be able to know enough to weigh the options for myself. to me, especially wtih my family history of suicide, the risk of suicide without proper treatment is HUGE compared to the risk of a cancer from risperdal. i'd take zyprexa too.

i still lactate. my pnurse took me down from 2.5 to 2 on risperdal to try to stop the lactation. i don't know if it will work or not. i'd like the lactation to stop, but if it doesn't, i accept it and the risk.

if anyone has more or different information that what i was able to find that would sway me a different way, let me know, because the more information i have, the better choice i can make. but for now risperdal is on the menu.

loon

I take Seoquel and over the last several months my period has dwindled to nothing. even though I've had terrific cramps for the last three weeks. When they did my lab at the hospital last week I was a few points low on my white bloodcell count and my pee was off from it's spacific weight...do you know if they do a hormone profile as part of basic lab work or do I need to go running to my doctor?

I don't lactate, thankfully, but this is upsetting since I take Seroquel and don't want to contemplate life without it anytime soon and they are thinking of adding Zyprexa to my cocktail some time this month...

I hope that you get help on this issue soon, it is pretty upsetting to me and you must not be having a good time with it either.

take care and blessings

Thank you for replying to me DMF, Loon and Panz.

The doctors have decided to cut out my Haldol as it is the most likely culprit. Already all my symptoms are coming back :embarassed: It sucks that we have to trade off mental health against physical discomfort.

Thanks again

Blackbird x

PS - Panz I think you have to specifically ask the docs for a hormone profile, that's what I had to do

Maybe they can replace the Haldol with something else? You've been doing so exceptionally well - this isn't fair. Maybe it's my old age...but I tend to agree with Loon. I would rather be able to "live" while I'm alive than suffer just so I can live (hope that makes sense). Of course, that's easy to say and more difficult to do. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Thank you for replying to me DMF, Loon and Panz.

The doctors have decided to cut out my Haldol as it is the most likely culprit. Already all my symptoms are coming back :embarassed: It sucks that we have to trade off mental health against physical discomfort.

Thanks again

Blackbird x

PS - Panz I think you have to specifically ask the docs for a hormone profile, that's what I had to do

I have another thought - does birth control affect this in any way? In my dd's case, she has a period every two weeks and who knows why....maybe the birth control and Trileptal interaction, maybe she just needs to be on a stronger form of birth control, maybe it's the Seroquel. In our case, I'm kind of happy she's a little irregular (but not lactating - she was like a cow that could be milked when on Risperdal - I fell so bad for her!!!) because I think that will aid in the "you definitely don't want to get pregnant" department.

so to see my actual prolactin level i need to ask for a hormone profile? i'll do that!

i don't lactate much (as if any abnormal lactation isn't too much)- just sometimes i notice it is a little wet or if i press on my breast i'll have some lactation. normally i have to make it come out.

panz- watch out for the zyprexa! i lactated on that too, but not as much as risperdal.

these drugs are amazing in what they do to your brain and body

Starting late in the convo but I will add my three and a half cents.

Yes, to get a prolactin count, you need to ask for it. It seems to me the last time I was tested was maybe a month after they put me on Risperdal the first time. It was around 70 which is high for an average test but not as high as say a nursing mother. Makes sense. It also seemed to me that my pdoc said if the level got too high, he could put me on something to surpress the lactation. But you might hafta ask.

I have noticed this time around on Riperdal (consta) that im not lactating as much as I was the first time and im still getting my period. I also noticed that I have been cycling, have been manic, and am now crashing. Maybe the risperdals not working.

Good luck to you blackbird.

Selene

• 2 weeks later...

ok... so i'm super-late to the conversation here... oh well...

i had lactation when i was on risperdal and verapamil. it's stopped since i've gone off the verapamil, but before that was an option (i was taking it for cluster headaches, so i had to wait a few months until i'd gone into remission), my doc put me on requip. and going off risperdal was certainly not an option because it was the first ap that had actually squashed all of my psychotic symptoms.

it doesn't seem like it would make sense, because the requip (and pergolide, which i took later because it was cheaper) do the exact opposite to your dopamine levels as the risperdal does. (technically, they hit different d receptors, so it's not actually the exact opposite.)

but it works. at least it did for me. and it's worth trying if everything else is working for you...

jen

Archived