pdoc vs. gp?

I am growing to loathe my current p/tdoc, and want to switch. Problem is, I'm having trouble finding one that's even taking new patients, or the wait list is a year (seriously). I'm very willing to simply get a pdoc, and deal with the therapy part at another office. When my last breakdown occurred last year, I initially went to my gp, and he started me on zoloft and xanax. I then told him I was going to a pdoc, and didn't see him again. Now I'm wondering about going back, I know he wouldn't have a problem prescribing me the drugs, he's very easygoing about that - almost a little too easygoing, he said never be afraid to ask for benzos. Yikes.

Has anyone ever switched from a pdoc back to a gp? Or is there something I'm missing here that doesn't make sense? I have a 3 month supply of all my meds, with the exception of xanax, so I have a little leeway of time to figure out what's best. Any general advice?

I saw my GP for years for GAD, insomnia and the odd depressive episode. When things started looking BP she told me she did not feel qualified to treat me. However, she is fully expecting that when the meds are sorted out that I will see her for maintenance, blood work, etc.

I guess it would depend on the comfort level of your GP in treating the BP dx.

I am growing to loathe my current p/tdoc, and want to switch. Problem is, I'm having trouble finding one that's even taking new patients, or the wait list is a year (seriously). I'm very willing to simply get a pdoc, and deal with the therapy part at another office. When my last breakdown occurred last year, I initially went to my gp, and he started me on zoloft and xanax. I then told him I was going to a pdoc, and didn't see him again. Now I'm wondering about going back, I know he wouldn't have a problem prescribing me the drugs, he's very easygoing about that - almost a little too easygoing, he said never be afraid to ask for benzos. Yikes.

Has anyone ever switched from a pdoc back to a gp? Or is there something I'm missing here that doesn't make sense? I have a 3 month supply of all my meds, with the exception of xanax, so I have a little leeway of time to figure out what's best. Any general advice?

with your dx, you need a pdoc

I agree with VE.

Here are a couple options:

1. Have you addressed you concerns with your pdoc and tried to work through them? Is there any chance of resolving the issues?

2. Consider seeing someone else for therapy and keep the pdoc for meds. While there are advantages to haveing a one-stop-doc, most people see two pro's, and there are advantages to that. It tends to keep your emotional and therapy issues separate from medication decisions, perhaps making them more logical.

3. Get on the waiting list for another pdoc and shift when available.

a.m.

Okay, what you're all saying is what I feared... that this is too much for a GP to handle. I can see that.

Have you addressed you concerns with your pdoc and tried to work through them? Is there any chance of resolving the issues?
This is part of what I'm having trouble with, is that I am finding it extremely difficult to open up with him. I'm just not comfortable, and he really hasn't gone out of his way to help with that. The whole thing feels too authoritarian, plus he's an idiot.

Consider seeing someone else for therapy and keep the pdoc for meds.

That would be my last alternative, as I think it would be even more awkward. And I don't like his attitude with the meds, either. He's not willing to try out options, and his lack of information is appalling. He doesn't believe in side effects apparently, nor (again, apparently) does he believe in withdrawal symptoms. He told me to drop celexa and risperdal cold turkey (because I was complaining once again about the ever-tiresome hand tremors, and I thought my head would explode while I was living over a trash can with dry heaves. I knew better than to do that so quickly, but for some dumb reason I trusted him. Couldn't take it so I went back on them voluntarily. Um, he doesn't know that yet.

Get on the waiting list for another pdoc and shift when available.

That's what I'm trying to do, if I can even get on a waiting list. I'd really prefer a woman, but at this point, my options are narrowing rapidly.

because...

your pdoc is a true idiot who is willing to endanger you and risk your health due to his own incompetence and obvious ego issues

your options are very limited, if not entirely restricted, due to availability of pdocs in your area

i'm going to break with public opinion and say that while only a pdoc is really teh one who should be treating BP1, if there are no other options or that other option is obviously a very bad one, where do you go?

you need to get treated by someone. you know this. i think, just my opinion, you should talk to your gp about what's going on and ask him if he knows anyone or can help you get in anywhere sooner. ask for help and favors. if this is impossible, ask if he is willing to treat you. it could be that you are on a waiting list to see a pdoc and your gp just gives you your current meds and adjustments when necessary, or maybe he can call a pdoc friend sometimes for advice on what to give you .

my uncle is a pharmacist and the amount he knows (maybe because he takes a personal interest in the subject due to me, i'm not sure) about pmeds is huge. i ask his opinion before every visit with my pnurse just to cross-reference the two.

i don't think that just because someone is a gp that he or she is incapable of getting you through a tough period. i think it would require him to be willing to try to find you resources outside of what he can provide, like what i said, pick up the phone for a quick consultation here and there wtih a pdoc friend. anything is better than being subjected to someone who obviously is either too stupid or infatuated with himself to give you ethical care.

i think what happened to you is unethical and makes pdocs look incompetent, which they aren't in general. it just gives them a bad name and it is unfortunate. stuff like that is a reminder that we need to be the guardians of our own health care.

your gp, if he is able, should be able to help you get in to see someone sooner than the waiting list would allow. if not, then if he is able, they can work wtih you and pdoc friends to at least keep you stable until help can be had. this isn't what should be done, but if you're facing this or a baffoon or no treatment, this is the best option in my opinion.

my gp is kinda bad when it comes to mental health issues, but with me doing my homework and consulting my uncle too, he successfully treated me for 4 years. sure, my progress wasn't what it has been lately, but the drugs weren't there either. i was on lithium and paxil for 4 years in college and i stayed kinda sane. i managed to get my degree. my gp was treating me. we all put our heads together and came out alive.

i think you'll have a higher chance of success with a gp at this point than wtih that dumbass you're seeing now. spit! i have zero respect.

so i'm someone who was treated by my gp and went to a pdoc who sucked and back to my gp, who kept me stable until i got a new pdoc. i'm alive and have bp1. i wouldn't say i got so far in my treatment, but he didn't do anything that killed me or put me in the hospital. i think ripping you off your meds like your pdoc did is far worse than what your gp could do to you!

loon

Thank you, Loon for your long reply. I now feel embarrassed that I took up so much of your time! An update: The local pdoc I had hoped for refused to schedule me, saying that I needed in-house therapy as well, and she didn't offer that. They gave me a suggestion for councelling services, and I just had one call me back. I spoke with the therapist, (god, he sounded nice), and I'll be seeing him next week. I'm so excited I could throw up (seriously, no sarcasm). But, it will take several tdoc visits before I am referred to the in-house pdoc (I can't see him/her without that referral), so I don't know how long that is. I do not want to go back to first dr, so if necessary, I'll ask my gp to see if just one time he can handle the meds, IF it becomes necessary. Hopefully it won't be, and none of this will be an issue. I just do NOT want to go back to the idiot dr. Keeping fingers crossed.

Archived