Would there be an appetite suppressant that helps with symptoms from an AP?

I have my medications totally stable now but the only problem left to tweak is the huge appetitie increase from my 150 mg Seroquel at night. I will get up and eat, eat, eat. It is harming my diabetes (which I already had) immensely. We have tried every other combination and this is the only thing that works for me now.

I'm thinking maybe I could take a strong supplement or anti-appetite suppressant when I take the Seroquel, but I can't have caffeine.

Has anyone found *any* answers to this dilemma for their Zyprexa, etc?

If you find one, please let me know. I have been binge eating in a bad way. I have lost all control on Seroquel. Caffeine doesn't seem to help me. I've tried, even though I am supposed to avoid it as well.

If you have diabetes it's an even bigger problem, although I am obese and with diabetes in my family I am sure I am headed for it.

I want cake right now. I am starving all the fucking time now, not just evenings. :embarassed:

There must be a diet pill.

What about Hoodia?

http://www.chitogenics.net/store/chitogold.html

I haven't used the hoodia blend from this company but I have used one of their other formulas (and lost 40 lbs). Hubby also uses their ForceSleep.

I have seen some Hoodia formulas at Walmart too. There was a 10 day Hoodia Diet that was pretty cheap. Just make sure you check to see what else is in it....usually these formaulas have caffine.

The 40 lb loss was on the chitosan fiber...take it before you eat...absorbs some of the fat, makes you fuller faster. It worked for quite a while and then I got stuck big time. Been stuck ever since, but lost enough weight to get some energy, take dance classes, walk every day, etc... I feel a hell of a lot better.

I just bought some of the hoodia stuff (cheap stuff at Walmart) but it doesn't work if you forget to take it ;)

The one time I did, I was able to not think about food for quite a while. That was nice.

Between topamax and dexidrine I'm losing weight like crazy. Yay.

That's awesome VE!

I don't think I have a case for requesting Topamax, since I really just want a diet pill.

Does anyone know about Phentermine? I plugged Meridia into aidsmeds and it has a major interaction with Lithium, but Phentermine has no interactions with any of my meds.

I also take Topamax largely to offset the troubles with Seroquel, though it is also indicated for me because of rapid BP cycling and anxiety. Seroquel caused me to gain weight, caused my cholesterol to go up and I have a diabetes risk in my family. But hey...if weight is a genuine and pressing issue, some docs do use Topamax sparingly and it can work for some...

Hiya MY&Co-

I'm always wary of diet pills, so i've never tried one before, except for fiber supplements and Curves protein shakes, if you count those in the diet realm, though i took them for protein and not to lose weight.

i gained weight on Zyprexa, like 30lbs in less than a month, and i was watching what i ate and exercising. while i was watching what i ate, it was impossible for me to give up Dairy Queen and the local gourmet ice cream shop. my treatment center was testing my glucose levels constantly, since i was eating so bad and i have a strong history of diabetes in my family. my glucose was going up, no doubt.

my treatment team got together (there are several of them who talk about my case, but generally i see the pnurse), and decided that i needed to stop zyprexa and start topamax and a HIGH dose (450mg) of WB. i was already on 300WB. that's how i started on the topamax.

i lost my zyprexa weight and more. i watched what i ate and exercised, and of course was obsessive like i tend to be, but i got my size back down to fitting into my clothes and not going to the pdoc in my pjs (i actually did walk around in my pjs!).

i'd try the combo of WB and topa, but beware that it could make you anxious, and that's not what you want if you're taking seroquel for your nerves. but i think that caffeine or almost any diet aid would make you wired. it would do that to increase your metabolism. forget that! i'd go with some WB and topa, at least you know what is in it (or think you do!).

i tolerated the combo until i lost the weight, and then came off the higher dose of WB, and now have quit topa. it does work for me so if i need it, i can go back to it. my current meds are weight-neutral.

i hope this is at least somewhat helpful. i realize it isn't 100% what you were looing for, but it is the closest experience i have to using diet pills.

loon

They just upped my Seroquel to 800mg a day... I'm going to turn into a blob. When I'm here I try to eat a lite carb, high fiber diet and watch my portion sizes, but I binge eat badly when I dissociate heavily. I'm already bloated as all hell from the seroquel increase (I feel a big fat funk coming on), so I'm going to talk to my pharmacy lady and see if Hoodia is ok for people with failed thyroids.

Update: Just saw my pdoc and he is trying me on Topamax ("Dopamax") one hour before I take Seroquel. They give Topamax to bingers/purgers and I am a binger on Seroquel.

The new drug they were testing that someone brought up here is MERIDIA. It is often given to diabetics, and it isn't given very often because it's already known that it doesn't work very well.

Hoodia has CAFFEINE from green tea in it. If you are caffeine-sensitive like me, this certainly wouldn't work in the evenings when I get my cravings!

There isn't anymore options for me, other than to go off Seroquel, but I can't because I can't sleep without it. My doctor says that the pharma who does come up with something that works will make a bundle because that means people will be able to take Zyprexa, too. The pharmas are trying.

-side note-

the pharma companies should scramble! abilify was a total let-down in my opinion. what about all this "next generation" hype? so newer is better? sure, there aren't the cravings, but it doesn't knock out either the schizophrenic or bipolar symptoms like they hoped, especially bipolar depression. forget it, unless you're one of the lucky few. i personally got into a mixed funk on the stuff.

whatever pharma company comes up wtih a drug that is good for schizophrenic and bipolar symptoms and doesn't make you fat will make a fortune. there are drugs, like geodon, that kinda fit that mold but not really, geodon actually made me homocidal. great side effect! just what we were hoping for! lucky for us all i was in the hospital at the time. zyprexa is the best of the best for our symptoms, but causes these cravings and diabetes. ;) my risperdal makes me lactate. i had to research if the raised prolactin levels or the suicide risk without risperdal was a worse risk to my life in order to determine if i would keep taking it. note that i take it. but why make that choice? there is a compound somewhere, and they're going to find it, that will help us in so many ways. and they're going to make a butt-load of money off of it.

loon

Archived