formication and mania

yeah. i've had in conjunction with an agitated need to remove all my skin with a cheese grator. not an SI thing. just a crawling out of my skin thing. i've not been diagnosed as bpii, but at its worst my anxiety is whole lot like how others here have described their mixed states.

i thought it was about FORNICATION too!

i get the feeling that there is electricity on my skin, like a static, but not bugs. that would really creep me out. i'm happy i don't have that. and that i don't have to take off my skin with a cheese grator.

i get this... but i'm not dx'd bp. so... i chalk it up to anxiety. (which happens to be a rather agitated anxiety, but docs say GAD and panic, so yeah.)

anyway, yes. i get that. esp. on my legs and arms. it drives me mad. sometimes taking an extra dose of a benzo helps, sometimes it just keeps happening.

nice to know that there's a fun complicated name for it.

anyone know what do do about this?

I have had the "bugs crawling on me" thingy. Ah, yes. Special times...

Seroquel helped.

Had no idea it had a special name. I love finding out stuff like that. I kind of like calling it "bugs crawling on me" though. It's so...true.

The skin crawling sensation is probably, I would guess, a sensory overload thing while manic/hypomanic/anxious. All neurons firing at will or whatever...thoughts going randomly, senses going haywire...all that jazz. Why bugs, though? For heaven's sake, brain!

What the difference between formication and parathesia?

I'm not too sure, but I'm sure if you put the two together, you'd end up with some sort of fetish that probably does exist already.

That said, I never get the creepy-crawlies (as we call them down here) in hypomania. Formication is mostly an anxiety issue for me, and strangely, anxiety doesn't figure much into my hypomania.

However, I literally did get formication, i.e. the actual presence of fire ants on one's skin, many years back when I used to live down here. At the tender age of 7, I learned graphically what it meant to have ants in one's pants.

now forNication, OTOH, is something I don't yet have the capability to discuss yet, and will not discuss until I doubletripledoubletripledouble-check the HIV and HCV results I'm awaiting.

[PS - I was a blood transfusion receipient in 6/1984, which is in the WHO's timeline of critical HIV transmission before blood bank screening was available]

Archived