Update: The preliminary results are in

So I got a preliminary report for the boy's doc so he could get on meds. The full report will be finished tomorrow and they will fax it to his school so we can get him started with the IEP.

The Scales of Independent Behavior yeilded scores that ranged from Limited to Age Appropriate, with elevated scores found for Serious Maladaptive Social Indicies.

Low Average for Processing Speed in the Intelligence Scales

Conners' Continuous Performance test indicated a likely attention deficit disorder with mean scores of 64 (normal controls score an average of 35)

High Average to Average scores for Reading, Math Calculations, Math reasoning, and Basic Writing skills.

I'm not sure what all that means. I think I was right in worrying about him socially.

The doc prescribed Adderall 5mg. He starts taking it Saturday. Pharmacist said the results should be immediate.

I'll know more when the full report comes out.

Thanks to all who offered their support and advice.

Croix

my take:

- He's not stupid, far from it

- He takes a little time to figure it out

- He has trouble paying attention

- He has trouble with social interaction

definitely not a damning report. The school ought to be satisfied that they can develop a program for him.

good luck,

a.m.

Thanks AM, I'm going to the school today, and hopefully that report will be enough.

Velvis, That would explain alot of things that I thought were associated with my anxiety problems. I just don't have the energy to delve into all that right now. I just want to help my kid.

Croix

Croix,

Like A.M., said, it sounds pretty manageable overall, really! Things always look worse in writing, at least to me and especially when I'm reading about MY kids. And then add that inherent guilt that we have, thanks to whatever....well, I dunno, I just want to offer my support to Mom. He'll be alright. He really will, because you love him so much and so does his daddy, and that's what matters most of all. For real.

Love,

S9

I don't know what form the Adderall will be in, but if it's in a snappable pill, you might start with half a pill for the first dose. The stuff feels more extreme at first. But it may help a LOT, so don't let me scare you off.

Archived