hi all, this is a sensitive issue due to the legal status, but for those who have at some time benefitted from marijuana or its ingredients (some being prescription now, like marinol and sativex) for symptoms of depression or BP, id like to know how often and what form of use (smoking, eating, a prescription inhaler, pills, etc.) has benefitted you. i am curious as to anecdotal experience of the medical benefits, not debating about who is an "addict" vs. a legit medical user. if you have any experience with benefit of the herb, please share!

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone correct me if I am wrong please? but I always thought that marijuana was bad for your brain chemicals and that it generated an un-natural imbalance that was the cause of more mental illness, and psychotic episodes, rather than helping them.

Anyone know?

Can someone correct me if I am wrong please? but I always thought that marijuana was bad for your brain chemicals and that it generated an un-natural imbalance that was the cause of more mental illness, and psychotic episodes, rather than helping them.

Anyone know?

Basically THC hits a different set of neuro systems than the ones implicated in most psychiatric illnesses,

so it can't *cause* mental illness. It's normally not going to help an existing or slowly-developing mental

illness either (As far as anxiety or pain go, some people say it helps them and hopefully they are in an

understanding jurisdiction.) Dependency, habituation, and psychological illness ... that's probably a

different situation.

My impression is that marijuana-induced psychosis is rare and temporary, but that's no comfort for

someone who gets it.

At least one ADD researcher (blanking on which of the "popular" authors) has suggested that marijuana

is NOT helpful for ADD, (paraphrasing) as it makes useless stuff wildly interesting while you're on it and

everything more boring when it wears off.

If you are on a (semi)stable med schedule, or already have to deal with psychosis, epilepsy, ED, etc.,

I'd say stay the hell away from it.

thanx all for the replies.. statis, we still use the term spliff, its so popular they sell bob marley rolling papers that are like half a foot long just to help u roll one ;)

yeah i dont think marijuana is helpful for me because i end up smoking like a 1/2 ounce a week and thats pretty goddamn ridiculous. i suppose really low doses are completely different. it has been shown to be helpful for epilepsy though (although not as a primary anticonvulsant of course!). ive seen friends who had psychosis history really flip out after smoking. that is scary

Basically THC hits a different set of neuro systems than the ones implicated in most psychiatric illnesses,

so it can't *cause* mental illness.

Wrong. It's all interconnected and mutually related. The fact cannabinoid receptors are not *directly* involved in any mental illness (in a way that, say, D2 receptors are involved in schizophrenia) doesn't mean that you can smoke cannabinoid agonists in any amounts for any period of time and get away with it.

Some symptoms of temporal epilepsy and cannabis smoking DO overlap, like short term memory lapses.

so it can't *cause* mental illness.

Wrong. It's all interconnected and mutually related. The fact cannabinoid receptors are not *directly* involved in any mental illness (in a way that, say, D2 receptors are involved in schizophrenia) doesn't mean that you can smoke cannabinoid agonists in any amounts for any period of time and get away with it.

Some symptoms of temporal epilepsy and cannabis smoking DO overlap, like short term memory lapses.

Did you catch the sentence that followed: "It's normally not going to help an existing or slowly-developing

mental illness either ..." ?

Let's face it - the same argument can be made even more directly about antihistamines. I doubt there's much question of their effects on acetylcholine/dopamine balance, but they don't *cause* Parkinson's

or ADHD. They sure don't help either one when they wear off though.

As far as "short-term memory lapse" and "impaired judgement", there's a huge list of differential diagnoses

that apply beyond TLE. Wellbutrin use comes to mind ;)

Archived