Lamictal and the Pill- Again

hiya-

i'm going to ask my pdoc this when i see him next (as i doubt my pnurse will know the answer), but do any of you know if since i'm not taking estrogen birth control anymore if i need to keep taking double the amount of lamictal? i take 400mg a day to make it the equivilent of 200mg because of my birth control, and i was never exactly clear on why the birth control contributed that way to the lamictal processing or if it had anything to do with the estrogen in my pills.

now i'm taking pills with no estrogen. do i still need double the lamictal?

hiya-

i'm going to ask my pdoc this when i see him next (as i doubt my pnurse will know the answer), but do any of you know if since i'm not taking estrogen birth control anymore if i need to keep taking double the amount of lamictal? i take 400mg a day to make it the equivilent of 200mg because of my birth control, and i was never exactly clear on why the birth control contributed that way to the lamictal processing or if it had anything to do with the estrogen in my pills.

now i'm taking pills with no estrogen. do i still need double the lamictal?

Which pills, specificly?

The MD who rxed either one should be able to answer that question, as should a pharmacist.

i just put in a call to my uncle, a pharmacist. he'll get back to me when he gets the message.

my gyn (who should know this stuff) is a planned parenthood nurse. she didn't even know that the pill and ACs don't mix. they're the ones who gave me the regular pills in the first place (last year). this nurse this time didn't tell me that i have to take these pills within a 15-minute window every single day or risk them not working. had she told me that i would have chosen depo. so i don't trust her to know.

tomorrow i'll put in a call to my actual pdoc and see if he can tell me.

RANT about bad gyn care!

Micronor, a progesterone pill. i don't know if because there's no estrogen if that means i don't have to double my lamictal anymore. i put in a call to my pharmacist uncle and i'll call my pdoc tomorrow.

this is an interesting question

i'm going to call up the pdoc's office tomorrow and make my appointment for earlier, so i can get the official word and plan for lamictal dose transition, but my uncle said it is the estrogen that makes us need to double it. he said that without the estrogen in the pills that i do not need to double the lamictal. that raises the question on how to taper, or what dose adjustments need to be made when.

my pdoc should know. and if not, he's more idiotic than i already think he is lol

loon

Archived