Depressed or Bipolar?

I've been treated for depression for 12 years and I still just want to die. I'm on tons of meds and haven't had a drink in 19 years.

I'm 48 and my life is over. I take care of my mum and as I have so many ailments anyway can't work. Can't even be reliable enough for volunteer work.

And I'm fat too. ;)

check out www.mentalhealth.com and see what the diagnostic criteria for BP1+2 are. if you've ever had an episode qualifying as hypo or manic in your life then you are bipolar.

on a lot of meds? maybe they could trim the tree a little and you'd feel better? maybe review with your pdoc what meds you're taking and see if you can maybe get rid of some or reduce them. i'm suggesting this as a possibility because my mom used to be on 28 different medications and is now taking 3, and feels a lot better (she has a lot of health problems).

maybe also see what meds in your cocktail could be helping with the weight and see if you can ditch or switch those! lol

loon

• 6 months later...

The only person that can really decide that is you, in coordination with a doctor, because us folk can misinterpret or misapply things but we really know what's going on, so we need the pro in there too, so with their training, and you knowing exactly what's going on, read different dx stuff, see if that fits you, then ask the doctor before applying a label to yourself that might get you scared out of your mind (it's not _really_ all that scary being bp...).

I agree with loon though, if you're really taking a lot of medications, that could be the reason why you feel like shit. Overmedication can be just as bad as no medication at all.

Archived