Why is food so *powerful*?

I hope it's ok that I post a little venting here. I'm in an absolute panic right now. Without going into my background too much, I *am* significantly overweight, but it's only in the past few months I've realized that my chronic 2-weeks of dieting followed by 2-months of crashing and compulsive bingeing are more than just a bad habit.

I've been striving with help from my therapist to move towards "normal" eating...not dieting...not compulsively eating...not bingeing. Just eating like a normal person when possible. And working on my self esteem & depression & anxiety in the meantime, and tackling the weight when I'm at a more stable place.

Well...I just got slammed with this hysterical urge to diet, even if it's going back on Weight Watchers, to start looking up healthy recipes, starting to obsess about food again. I can't keep doing this! I have to stop thinking about dieting and calories and food and recipes. Why can't I just approach this calmly? I know I will only gain more weight if I try & diet. I'm doing ok with normal eating. I've stayed the same for the first time in a few years, and am working on making healthy changes slowly. Argh! I am so impatient & so panicked right now. And I feel like this is *so* stupid. I *have* to stop. Any ideas on how to get rid of this impulse?

Hey Tasty....

Don't have anything really helpful, just some commiseration. I am NT and have my own food issues. Been overweight for ever even though I exercise and try to eat healthy. I have noticed that if I follow the glycemic index I get fewer food cravings....the fewer blood sugar swings the better I feel.

Wish I had something more helpful to add.

i really like weight watchers. go to the meetings and don't obsess over anything, just try to pick up the healthy eating vibe. you get rewarded for losing some pounds but they will talk to you about it if you seem to be getting carried away.

weight watchers microwave meals are a good way to avoid worrying about receipes and what to eat. just pop one in the microwave. they get boring but it is a way to not obsess about what you're going to eat next.

another tip is you can plan a rotation of meals, like a week's worth of each meal, and vary your menu according to just those receipies. make sure they have variety so you get your nutrition, but that is also a good way to take your mind off of what to eat.

crash dieting isn't good, and you know that. going to weight watchers and being good about following the program will really benefit you. i gained 20-30lbs (i tried to avoid looking at the actual number for fear it would make me stop eating entirely) from Zyprexa and had to lose the weight, so i joined a gym, had my meds altered, and joined weight watchers. i'm a thin person already, i'm 5'4 and 125lbs right now (was up to around 150 i think), but i managed to lose 5lbs a week that way. i didn't obsess about it, i just did what i knew i had to do. i think the med change helped too because the zyprexa was just a monster on my weight.

i hope this goes well for you. talk to us here for encouragement and support. also, read our body image thread "what is the weight of the average american woman?", or it may be "what is your weight?", i can't remember what it is named in this thread, because there are 2 places it is mentioned. you'll get a lot of inspiration from what all of us have had to say about our bodies and our lives.

remember- exercise at least some (15 minutes a day minimum, just get moving somehow), weight watchers, and review your meds with your pdoc.

loon

I just dropped back to my fighting weight after six months of hell from seroquel but I've heard that a lot of people have success with hypnotherapy. now that I take seroquel or zyprexa prn I don't crave foods like I used to. The time I spent on topamax really made any food cravings go away too because I had serious headaches and was sick like a dog. WZ what was the name of that was it an herb you recommended? was it hoodia? chitosan? I forgot

lilie

Well, I did decide to do Weight Watchers (again), but I'm doing the online program. I'm trying to prevent myself from joining any WW or diet communities because I just feel like they are toxic to me...when I was on WW for 2 years I probably spent half of my waking hours visiting WW message boards and looking at people's success pictures. I am scared of getting obsessed with losing weight again because I wind up doing nothing but talking the talk all the time but I never really walk the walk. And it just makes me feel inhuman to do nothing but think about food and recipes and calories and points all day.

This is making me feel extra depressed. I don't know why. I stepped on the scale for the first time in a few months and I've gained 20 lbs...now weigh 257 and 5'4"...totally unhealthy. But I have no faith in myself to stop bingeing or not obsess about food and dieting constantly. I don't know how to get that faith back. I just want to crawl into bed and stay there.

But I am just going to try & stick to my points as best I can, and keep doing my 15 minutes of exercise a day. I did talk to my dr about medications...I had gone on Wellbutrin for awhile but it did nothing for me except make me irritable on top of depressed. Now I'm on Effexor but it's been such a short time so far that I don't know if it will affect my weight.

I had lost 40 pounds taking a chitosan fiber suppliment... www.chitogenics.com

They now have a version with hoodia.

I also heard a report on Fox (Dr. Manny Alverez) that some hoodia formulas are helpful.

I have NOT yet tried the Chitogenics with hoodia but I am tempted.

Archived