People Who Don't ID Me Suck

Loon-A-TiK

hiya- some light-hearted suckage here-

people who don't ID me when i buy alcohol suck. they suck for a few different reasons:

1. underage people could be just older looking and buy alcohol

2. i have a vanity issue and need to be reassured that i look within the 21-range still

3. i have a vanity issue and need to be reassured...

this just isn't fair. every month it seems it is slimmer and slimmer (the amount of times i'm carded). i've been to the state liquor store and i wasn't carded.

good god, do i look that old? i'm only 28 over here!

it comes down to this- they just suck. ;)

Loon,

It completely, COMPLETELY depends on the person and the amount that they give a shit. I guarantee it.

I still get carded buying cigarettes a lot of the time. But I still don't get carded buying alcohol a lot. And I'm 22 years old and obviously look like I should be carded. I don't know why this is, but I definitely get carded more buying cigarettes than alcohol.

So it's not you! It's them! They're probably not even looking at you half the time. ;)

becca- yeah, that's true, i can buy cigs for my mom and get carded, but buy alcohol and not get carded. happens all the time.

wz- how tall are you? you must tower over the poor clerks! at 16 they should have at least tried to card you!lol

my best friend is telling me it depends on if the cashier cares, not if i'm an old geezer.

I ALWAYS get carded and it is a pain in the ass. Especially when my ADD self has left my drivers license in the car,under the seat, in the glovebox etc.. and they won't sell me my booze til I find it. Drives me nuts. I'd like the non-Id'ing thing better I think. My husband NEVER gets carded in twelve years of marriage and he's three years younger than me. I hate it especially when I'm in restaurants or clubs and I've "switched purses" and may have forgotten. I try like hell not to but that's usually when they get me. I am 38 and was almost not allowed into stupid pain in the ass Ruby Skye last weekend (a nightclub in S.F.) because the poopie head doorguy wouldn't believe what I was telling him. Finally there were so many of us bugging him that he just kind of gave in. assmunches. sigh...

I just remembered something funny. my mom and dad used to regularly go through the same thing (even at 75 people think my Dad is 50) my Mom was in a store buying booze for my Dad's birthday and they gave her crap about her age she lifted me and my brother in the air (she was holding our hands) said she had an eight year old(me) and a five year old and did they want to ask any more damn questions(she would have been 36 by then) lol. They gave her her booze. That was so long ago and so funny. I'd do the same thing.

lilie

either i look old or it is my area, but this is terrible! you guys in your 30s and 40s are getting carded and not me!

maybe it is just the area, that people around here don't care.

that's me too all the way lilie- i'm always switching purses or leaving my ID somewhere, and then when i come out of the store wtih my booze (after having not been carded), THEN i'm happy that they didn't ask for my ID, or i wouldn't have my booze until i came back with the damned thing! yes, perhaps it is a good thing, because my ADD self is always forgetting the ID somewhere and i find it days later in some forgotten pocket or purse. it is like 'oh yeah, i guess i need this!'. i the meantime i've been to countless bars, restaurants, and the grocery store and never gotten asked for my ID.

i don't know about this. people must suck. it requires further study...

i'm going out now to a well-known, chain establishment that sells food and alcohol, focusing on the alcohol part. if they don't ID me there i'll have to consult a surgeon (as if i could afford it- ha!)

if i don't get IDed, then someone is going to suck, and it will be the bartender. ;)

well, i didn't get IDed in there when i ordered some strong vodka drinks, and i went to the grocery store later on (sober) and bought some parrot bay, and didn't get it again! i was even in the self-check out line and normally they make you go over and show your id. nope. she just waved me by.

i've come to the conclusion that people in my area must just be lax.

• 4 weeks later...

I will be 23 in a couple of months and I still get asked for ID - it really pisses me off, especially as I bought alcohol once whilst underage (17) and nobody batted an eyelid! Also I remember being asked which university I was at whilst I was still at school. Have I therefore paradoxically started to look younger as I've aged?!

The weirdest one though was at church (I'm not religious but I sing in the choir - ahh, hypocrisy!) and I went up to the refreshment table for a drink. The lady there asked me "Would you like coffee, or would you prefer juice?" I looked at her quizzically and replied "Er...coffee...please..." I asked her why she was offering me juice particularly and she said she thought I might prefer it (i.e. because coffee is an "adult" drink). It turned out that she thought I was about 16! I have to say I was shocked.

I really hate all these posters that say "If you're lucky enough to look under 21 you must prove that you are over 18" I've never understood why anyone would want to look under 21! I've spent the last few years desperately trying to look at least my age, so as to get away from all this ID crap, and also so I will be taken seriously and not just viewed as one of those "bloody students!"

Sorry to those of you who do want to look under 21, but I must beg to differ.

the only thing i'm glad for is that i'm not IDed (hardly) ever, so when i don't have my ID with me (it never is), i don't get asked for it so i don't get shit. people never look at me weird or bat an eye when i order drinks or buy booze. people usually tell me i look like i'm 24. i'm 28. i guess that's not bad. it's better than looking like i'm 16!

Archived