Rate your State

Panz

Nami State by state ratings

When I was last in the loony bin, one of the nurses told me that Idaho was on the bottom of the barrel when it came to mental health care per capita. NAMI states that it is 49th in the nation. We only have a very few actual psychiatrists in the state, so it takes forever to get an appointment.

How does your state measure up?

As soon as I get more stable, I'm going to see what I can do to up the mental health care in my state, this is ridiculous ;)

ohio, my state, gets the highest ranking, a B. i agree that there is good mental health care in my state, especially when it comes to free services, such as the treatment center i've been going to free of charge. i was in a free state psych ward over a year ago and since that time i've gone to this center. (i got to go for free because i was unemployed). now i have ssd and still go to the center. they helped me get my disability.

the only complaint i have is that when my dad was arrested, they didn't give him his psych meds. he was bipolar 1 and really NEEDED his meds, but he was in teh can for days wtihout any of his medical or psych meds. they could really improve in access to people in prison.

I've lived in CA and NY (the unresponsive state) and the one positive thing I can say about both states is that there are a lot of psychiatrists in both states. I found 30 in a 25 miles radius covered by my health insurance when I ran a check recently. (There is pretty much no DBT in CA which blows, but that's a different matter. And the quality of psychiatrists is always an issue, no matter where you are.)

I think being inpatient sucks no matter where you are.

CA has a really lax involuntary hospitalization policy, and, having had to be involuntary in NYC (in a shit hospital, but hey) I think that it's important for states to have good provisions for helping people who are dangers to themselves.

Overall Grade:

F

Category Grades:

Infrastructure:

F

Information Access:

F

Services:

D

Recovery Supports:

F

Well this is no suprise..BTW it's SD. Sad though..it's pretty dreary in the winter especially..

Archived