hiya-

i noticed that you're schizoaffective and already take risperdal. doesn't the risperdal control the thoughts? has your pdoc considered raising the risperdal before adding another atypical? for me also, risperdal will make me tired around 3 hours after i take it. i don't know why there is this delayed reaction. i'm surprised that risperdal isn't doing the job, unless the dose is too low.

but maybe seroquel is what you need. to control intrusive thoughts, you'd probably need more than 200mg. i was up to 800mg at one point (i probably only needed 600, but my pdoc was very zealous). in terms of sleeping, everyone else says that the lower doses of seroquel make them tired, but for me it isn't the dose that makes me tired. i can take it at any time of the day with no problem. it is just that it makes me sleep for 15 hours a day, so i guess you could call that tired. ;)

i'd just ask your pdoc why you're on 2 atypicals and see if you can deal with just one.

loon

600 mg. of Seroquel has completely removed my dd's intrusive thoughts. As for sleep, we are finding that she has to be pretty timely in when she takes her meds because she does have nights when she is up and down a lot if she takes her dinner dose too close to ber bedtime dose.

hiya-

i noticed that you're schizoaffective and already take risperdal. doesn't the risperdal control the thoughts? has your pdoc considered raising the risperdal before adding another atypical? for me also, risperdal will make me tired around 3 hours after i take it. i don't know why there is this delayed reaction. i'm surprised that risperdal isn't doing the job, unless the dose is too low.

but maybe seroquel is what you need. to control intrusive thoughts, you'd probably need more than 200mg. i was up to 800mg at one point (i probably only needed 600, but my pdoc was very zealous). in terms of sleeping, everyone else says that the lower doses of seroquel make them tired, but for me it isn't the dose that makes me tired. i can take it at any time of the day with no problem. it is just that it makes me sleep for 15 hours a day, so i guess you could call that tired. ;)

i'd just ask your pdoc why you're on 2 atypicals and see if you can deal with just one.

loon

Though I have schizophrenia, I suffer from clinical obsessions/intrusive thoughts as well.

I personally take 1200mg/seroquel per day and find it to be very good.

1 in 4 people suffer from significant weight gain on seroquel, but that is normally only at the higher doses.

I think starting on 200mg nightly sounds very sensible and is likely to help a lot. There is a large dosage range for this med so the dose can easily be increaseed by your dr if need be.

Good luck and welcome to the world of seroquel ;)

Archived