Paxil and Ultram

I take paxil and I was prescribed Ultram for menstrual pain. I looked up the interaction on a drug interaction site, and it said the Ultram could affect serotonin.

Does anyone have any info/experience with this combo?

TIA

suzy

I really hate to ask again, but I could really use some help with this. Could anyone point me in the right direction so that I could research this issue? I would really appreciate it.

suzy

Suzy, I'm sorry, I looked it up and confirmed that there is a warning for interaction.

The warning is unusual, in that it talks about ultram potentiating the SSRI, and this is not a warning I have commonly seen. Note that it is a warning and potentially more serious than the usual cautions. It may not be anything more than just being aware of the potential for an interaction, but I don't know.

Unless someone else has experience with them, I strongly recommend that you talk to your pharmacist and your prescribing doctor.

a.m.

Suzy, I'm sorry, I looked it up and confirmed that there is a warning for interaction.

The warning is unusual, in that it talks about ultram potentiating the SSRI, and this is not a warning I have commonly seen. Note that it is a warning and potentially more serious than the usual cautions. It may not be anything more than just being aware of the potential for an interaction, but I don't know.

Unless someone else has experience with them, I strongly recommend that you talk to your pharmacist and your prescribing doctor.

a.m.

Thanks, AM. I found a reference that said that serotonin syndrome was a side effect found in less than 1% of users during testing. But I would assume this was among users who were not already taking an SSRI.

I don't feel great confidence in my prescribing GP. I will ask the pharmacist.

thanks again.

suzy

I called the pharmacist (who is a also a personal friend) and she said if it were her she would not take the two drugs at the same time due to the risk of increasing the level of serotonin higher than what would be normal in just taking the paxil alone.

so there you go.

suzy

Archived