Considering cancelling appt. with tdoc.......

I have an appt. today at 2pm. I am anxious and sick to my stomach. That seems stupid! Why on earth do I feel this way?

Here is another reason: I am depressed to the point of not getting out of bed and taking care of my young children. Why? Sigh, I don't know. What am I going to do....just stare at her?

Does this post make sense? I don't even know if it does. ;)

Hopefully you made it to your session.

Yeah sometimes it all seems so pointless and you don't even feel like forcing words out of your mouth.

About the best suggestion I have found is that when is gets to hard to talk about the meaningful stuff, that is when it helps to just talk about how hard it is to talk. Talking about how bad you feel today, can be the ice breaker that your doc can use to open things up and get the conversation flowing.

If nothing else, remember that you probably have a no-show fee, and besides, your doc still has to make payments on that swimming pool! ;)

hope you feel better.

a.m.

NJ, I hope that you've decided to keep your appointment. I know exactly how you are feeling, as I have young children too, and am still struggling with depression related issues. Last summer I lay curled in a ball on the sofa while my children foraged through the fridge by themselves and watched too damn much tv. It got us through, tho. I just switched tdocs, and while I like him, I could tell that just by our brief phone conversation, I am still extremely nervous/anxious about meeting with him. Please. You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

You are right, am. I was going to pay the fee, why not get my hour of staring at her?

Thanks for the encouragement guys, you were right! I did go to my appt. but I wish I could say I felt better. I can't stand it when I go in and paint a rosey picture because I am too tired to get into the real stuff. It takes so much less energy to lie than it takes to get down to the nitty gritty, kwim? I think she saw through it because she wants me to come back in a week.

Oh, well....I guess we will see.

N.J.

Nut Job,

My tdoc and I *celebrated* 3 years of psycho-bliss this past Monday, it's been a long and sometimes very, very painful process this time around. But in the last 6 mos. to a year, I've really made some breakthroughs, and now being stable on meds, I feel downright *well* in the head most days.

Last summer I was locked down on the suicide block, and as recently as this spring couldn't get off the couch. My kids aren't little, 18 and 10, but it still makes me feel like a big fat loser when I'm mired in the abyss and not DOING anything to get better. I've gone for more weeks without bathing in the last 5 years than I care to recall, but, for my children, I plodded on. Showing up often at tdoc's disheveled, stinky and in my pajamas, but I show up.

And yeah why lie? That's a waste of your time, if you lie you might as well stay on the couch and save your money. Believe me: they have heard it all, and you WILL get better if you have a good relationship with your therapist and you perservere honestly. It only hurts you to not be real, but it's okay to now dump your spleen in the beginning too. I've learned you have to let them earn your trust before you bring out the really dark stuff.

FWIW.

S9

Was this a first visit to a tdoc? If so, pretty normal to be nervous, and to be telling a story that's a bit edited. I'm sure the tdoc expects that.

I tend to be cheery when I visit my tdoc, but that's because I like her, and it's usually early in the week, not so long after my s.o. helps to reassemble my head each weekend.

Archived