Two questions

Hi, long time no post..

I am based in the UK and hold a UK passport, and am planning to visit the USA in the next couple of weeks. Due the recent tightening of US security, I am concearned about a couple of issues:

1. Is my passport sufficient (aside from medical and travel insurance, and money etc..) - do I need a visa? I am only going to be resident in the USA (Boston and JFK airport then maybe Florida) two weeks.

2. Will my medication travel? Will I get into the US with my medication? I rely on amisulpride, an antipsychotic not prescribed in the US. I have no idea of it's legal status there. If it is a controlled substance, will I get away with it by claiming not to take medication and hiding it in by main luggage (I gather recent security upgrades have led to a series of questions, some medical, asked to all incomers)? Of course I ask this question out of mere curiosity.

Cheers! Looking forward to visiting the US if I make it.

You need to check out what I am saying, but this is my limited understanding and some guessing....

You only need a visa if you are going to be living here or trying to get a job here. Passport and UK driver's license...maybe a notaried copy of your birth certificate in case???

As for meds, they need to be in their original prescription bottle and your name has to be on it. You might want to get a copy of the perscriptions in case...like for enough of whatever you take to last 2 weeks just in case your pills get jacked by customs.

Anyone else here have some solid information???

The UK participates in the visa waiver program. If your passport was issued during the correct dates and is machine readable you don't need a visa. Otherwise you need to get a visa. Please check the details.

Here is the US State Department info page on travel visas: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/temp/temp_1305.html

A Passport is all the indentification that a person needs for international travel. That is why they were invented. You do NOT need birth certificates, as a passport already certifies your date of birth.

As far as the medications, just keep them in the original container with with label showing your name. If for some reason you need to carry them loose, having a doctor's presctription is supposed to be acceptable. Having rx's isn't a bad idea in any case. A US pharmacy probably won't accept them (prescriptions normally must be from a doctor licensed in the state), but it will make things easier getting a doctor here to give you a valid rx.

I always carry at least a week's worth of meds on my person so that if my bags get lost I have time to sort out replacements.

Good luck, enjoy your travels. a.m.

in my travels, i've been advised (and i don't know if this is the law or just advice) to carry my meds in their original bottles and to have a copy of my script with the medication. since it is hard to have meds on your person in an original bottle and in your luggage, you could either put them in a different container in your luggage but have the script with it, or save old bottles.

happy travels! i hope you enjoy your time in the lovely US.

loon

Cheers for the replies. Looks like I'll be fine then. Just now it's looking less likely that I'll go. Can't go into details or whine about it on this board - there's a certain reason you'd understand if you knew..

Archived