how come the head honchos cant be ignored? i mean, they could always pm a member with important information no? but what say if one of them for whatever reasons, sets us off, triggers us, makes us wanna rip heads offa barbies and spit fire and whatnot? i mean, everyone always says, if someone bugs you, hit the ignore feature, but but but ... then ... it doesn't work on the big shots. <blink>

is there a hack for this or something? ;)

I think the simplest answer is that we don't know who you are ignoring and who you are not ignoring, and thus would not know who to pm with info and who not to.

Not to mention the fact that mods/admins sometimes make board-wide messages, and it makes no sense to have to PM them to people who have the mods and admins blocked.

I think of the ignore function as a major privilege. You do not have the ability to press "ignore" on someone in real life, you have to deal with whatever issues you have with that person and somehow manage a way to co-exist (or not). Although we try to give fair warning and options to deal with triggering, our site policy is still fundamentally that your triggers are your responsibility. We do what we can to help you avoid being triggered, but once you realize something is going to trigger you, it is your responsibility to stop reading. That's the way the world works, really.

Because the mods/admins will sometimes need to make messages which supercede an ignore, and it isn't easy (if possible- I've poked around the admin panel and not found a way to do this) to tell who has who on ignore at what time, it just makes sense to make mods/admins "un-ignorable."

Most of you have been students of some kind at some point in your lives- I'm sure you know how to skim if need be. ;)

but what say if one of them for whatever reasons, sets us off, triggers us, makes us wanna rip heads offa barbies and spit fire and whatnot?

You talk about ripping head off Barbie and spitting fire as if these are *bad* things! *snif*

I've never taken the time to identify what would be set where specifically, but it's not a simple programming issue to do

it right. Setting up a function that sends a message out, blowing past all the blocks isn't the hard part - just add

some code that removes all blocks everywhere... It's a bit harder to remove the blocks, save a listing, send the message,

and then restore all the blocks, and do it all reliably. There's too many places that could go woefully wrong. ;)

But let's go back to the spitting fire part!

In this version of IPB, a user who has their PMs turned off can not be PMed by a mod. If the user is ignoring that mod, and the mod can not speak to them publicly, there is the risk that someone could end up suspended or banned without having been first warned. I find that unacceptable.

There is a hack to get around this, that makes PMs from mods always go through even if the user has disabled PMs or their mailbox is full. My brains have just been too mushy lately to do the work required to implement it.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh kayyyyyyyyyyyyy thanks. the explainy parts make sense, but i am still gonna go pout in my mary janes just cuz that's what i do.

<kicks the dirt> sometimes i just hate being a mere plebe.

<wanders off to spit fire and find my super powers cape>

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh kayyyyyyyyyyyyy thanks. the explainy parts make sense, but i am still gonna go pout in my mary janes just cuz that's what i do.

<kicks the dirt> sometimes i just hate being a mere plebe.

<wanders off to spit fire and find my super powers cape>

Well, yanno, I posted on Aly's thread, I have a penchant for beating the bodies off of barbie. To wit, hold barbie (yes lower case on purple-ous) by her long beautiful Morgan Fairchild hair and pound her onto paved surface, or I suppose a desktop would work, until her whole body goes spiraling into the street, or the boss' coffee.

:)

Pinky, wanna go to law school wit me? We would be hellish partners advocating for the underdogs, of which, erm, I am one BTW. And a plebe, peon, rank and filer, whatever and happy to be so. The lower you are on the scale the easier the fall when the whole fucking world blows up, which shouldn't be too long now.

Love your fighting spirit, girl, it makes me exhausted to just read your posts, how well thought out and analyzed they are, and I'm not joking. And I'm also glad to not be on the business end of them these days. My brain is also rather oatmeal-ish in texture and certainly firing more like a civil war cannon than an AK. But it works for me.

This is NOT advice, god forbid, but what I was taught at home, in the streets and elsewhere, is to chose my battles wisely. This is what I taught Big E when he insisted on being Ed Wood in 11th grade and wear very pretty skirts of mine to school in protest of the dress code. That was the last year for THAT principal.

Anyway, I've gone far afield as per usual. This is your brain on ADD with no drugs.

Love,

S8+1

ETA: fixed fookin' tpyos, I wish the board would disable the gremlins that put tpyos in my posts while they are posting... ;)

Archived