Passing out

Passing out during panic attacks isn't an uncommon thing with me. I had posted in here earlier about having trouble at stop lights. Well the worst happened, I passed out at the stoplight. I don't know how long I was out, but I woke up and pulled into a used car lot. This is getting out of control. I don't feel like I have any control anymore. I'm afraid to talk to my pdoc about it because I'm afraid he might blame it on my meds, and I really don't want him to cut them back. Anxiety has pretty much taken over now, and I don't know what to do. I'm at the end of my rope.

Also, now I'm afraid to drive. I feel like I'm handicapped. Everything seems to be stripped away from me because I can't get this under control. What do I do?

as much as you're afraid of any med change, i'd tell your pdoc. they might have a new med to add or maybe sub out some of the meds you're on so you can function.

that is so terrible that you pass out like that. be careful if you drive! try to have someoen else take you. sometimes i feel nervous about driving and take the bus (it is easy to take buses in my community).

speaking of buses, now that i have ssd, i'm entitled to ride the bus for free! woo hoo!

nevermind...

i'd just check with him or her about what can be done med-wise. and tell him or her about your fear of both med changes and of passing out while driving. i understand having anxiety when driving. i especially get freaked out in traffic when i'm afraid my foot will slip off the break or something and i'll hit the car in front of me. scary stuff for those of us with panic issues and driving!

Seeing as though typically panic attacks involve hyperventilation, the ultimate result in a major PA is to fall unconscious.

Panic attacks are frightening, crippling experiences and are not treated seriously enough in society. At the height of panic disorder, I would question one's ability to drive, just as epileptics cannot drive.

I suffer rom panic atttacks nearly every day, ususally commencing with some minor hyperventilation that gets out of control quickly. I have rarely if ever have passed out.

You need to learn the slow breathing technique - not deep breathing but slow breathing. Holding your breath and exhaling and inhaling slowly can be really helpful, as can benzos (but not really suitable for driving).

Yoga and meditation are also very helpful, and there are some good books around that help you become less affraid and more aware of the symptoms (see the sticky links on this forum page).

I called my doctor after posting earlier. He upped my klonopin to 6mg a day, with 2mg pills. I've never seen the 2mg pills before and they look alot different, of course my paranoid brain wonders if they filled my script right. Anywho, I took one and we'll see what happens.

I know I shouldn't probably be driving, the problem is I have nobody else to drive me, and there are no busses or any for of mass transit where I live, and I drive 20 min to work. It sucks not having any friends or family around.

I do yoga at the Y, I've been trying meditation but I can't ever seem to get my mind quiet enough to experience that inner peace that people say you get. I'll keep at it though, if it might help. I also do 30 min on the eliptical machine and lift weights 3 times a week. My body is in decent shape, in spite of my medical (non mental ones) issues. Mabye I should go back and try CBT again.

I'm starting to wonder if mabye the passing out issue isn't completely panic related, because it's usually happens after I start seeing static out of the corner of my eyes. When I start thinking of that I get all panicky though because I wonder if it's a sign of diabetes, which I could very well have after being high doses of zyprexa for the past 2 years. I need to have that checked, but it involves blood work. I have MAJOR needle phobia, so bad I now have some pretty serious medical conditions that could have been treated and under control a long time ago if I didn't fear the needle so much.

Well, the klonopin is working because I'm starting to go braindead. Hope they don't mind me being a zombie here at work tonight. Thanks for your replies, I'll keep plugging along and hope something helps.

I called my doctor after posting earlier. He upped my klonopin to 6mg a day, with 2mg pills. I've never seen the 2mg pills before and they look alot different, of course my paranoid brain wonders if they filled my script right. Anywho, I took one and we'll see what happens.

I know I shouldn't probably be driving, the problem is I have nobody else to drive me, and there are no busses or any for of mass transit where I live, and I drive 20 min to work. It sucks not having any friends or family around.

I do yoga at the Y, I've been trying meditation but I can't ever seem to get my mind quiet enough to experience that inner peace that people say you get. I'll keep at it though, if it might help. I also do 30 min on the eliptical machine and lift weights 3 times a week. My body is in decent shape, in spite of my medical (non mental ones) issues. Mabye I should go back and try CBT again.

I'm starting to wonder if mabye the passing out issue isn't completely panic related, because it's usually happens after I start seeing static out of the corner of my eyes. When I start thinking of that I get all panicky though because I wonder if it's a sign of diabetes, which I could very well have after being high doses of zyprexa for the past 2 years. I need to have that checked, but it involves blood work. I have MAJOR needle phobia, so bad I now have some pretty serious medical conditions that could have been treated and under control a long time ago if I didn't fear the needle so much.

Well, the klonopin is working because I'm starting to go braindead. Hope they don't mind me being a zombie here at work tonight. Thanks for your replies, I'll keep plugging along and hope something helps.

Wow! You have a needle phobia too? I have it WAAAY too bad. In fact, heres my little addition:

Two nights ago I was hanging out with some coworkers at house getogether...I have a bit of social anxiety so its a good step. We were all outside hanging out talking about random crap when one guy starts going on and on about some surgery he had....Talking about drawing blood and such in detail...I became really woozy, my blood pressure dropped to nothing, my vision distorted and froze on what I saw at that moment, and I tried with all my might to scream out 'HELP ME!', but all I could do was fall back and black out. My friends say I convulsed a little bit. When I came to I defenately wasn't ok. I thought I had a seizure. I was convinced I was going to die. I was completely white for 1-2 hours. I couldn't feel my hands or feet. I vomited a few times..I was so dizzy I felt constantly on the verge of passing out and falling over. I got a friend to drive me to the ER. Their diagnosis? Vaso-vegal response to extreme anxiety....A FUCKING PANIC ATTACK?!? I've had those before but never so bad I couldn't handle even lying on the couch with a blanket...I got perscribed Lexapro yesterday thank god. I need something.

Im open to any advice from anybody. The needle phobia is TERRIBLE. I need them to draw my blood for tests for various stuff in a couple weeks...I don't know if I will be able to go. Maybe if I eat 2mg of xanax beforehand. ;)

I got that vaso-vegal thing when I passed out last time I had my blood drawn. The sucky thing is they wouldn't draw my blood while I was passed out, they waited until I was up again to do it. As far as the anxiety goes, the 2mg klonopin seem to be doing the trick. I've also gone way out of my way to take back streets that have stop signs and not stoplights, where I'm safe to pull over to the side of the road at any time I getpanicky. Kind of a pain but it's probably the best idea besides not driving. So for now, I'll just go with that plan. My pdoc says if I quit smoking my zyprexa will work better on my anxiety. I guess smoking does something to negate the effects of zyprexa. So if I can quit that hopefully it will help the anxiety anymore..anyway, just random thoughts from a very drugged klonopin brain...

• 1 year later...
Guest Guest_christina_*

i feel your pain or fear. im bipolar and have pstd and i have aniexty but the thing is i went into a deep depression and ive been getting panice attacks 4-6 times a day and its effectign my health. i get scared and try to odistract myself but doenst help. ive been passing out and not waking up till 16-20 hrs later the next morning. im afraid something bad is about to happen. i dotn have insurance or anyone to talk to so i ignore it. but its taking a toll and im stressed out and i call in sick to my morning job. im going to quit getting up at 4am isnt helping and i know i need to take care of myself. whats happening to me? i dotn htink i can survive this. take care of my health or have money and health getting worse.,i mostly have them when im alone or thinking by myself or especially late at night. now its everywhere all day

Some things you can do to reduce anxiety about needles:

Get some emla cream by rx from your doctor. You put it on an hour before the procedure and cover with plastic. It numbs the area.

Take xanax or klonopin or valium.

Lie down while you are having blood drawn. You might need to do this in the doctor's office rather than the lab, labs draw blood with the patient sitting in a chair.

Have the doctor or nurse or tech use a tiny needle - like the kind they use for babies.

Don't look.

Practice deep breathing, don't tense your muscles, use visualization techniques, an ipod, etc.

Stay on the table for a while after you're done until you are sure that you feel fine.

Go directly to the mall and buy yourself a pair of shoes.

I'm new obviously but oh my god I am SO HAPPY that I'm not the only one! Though I'm sorry you have it too.

Thing is, it doesn't happen to me in a panic attack as I don't get those, I have generalized anxiety of sorts. But I do pass out at random times and my doctor basically said it's my brain skipping all the normal anxiety symptoms and shutting down.

My current therapist taught me that the key is in the breathing as someone already said. I don't do anything special, I just focus on the breath going in and then out, ignoring any thoughts. It's a basic form of meditation and though it takes practice, it does help.

Archived