What to do when SO is having a night terror?

My SO has been having night terrors, and not having good sleep at all for the past week.

I'm a light sleeper so whenever he starts whimpering and thrashing around, I do my best to wake him up. This usually involves shaking him as hard as I can and yelling, "Robert! Robert! I'm here and I love you!" I'll keep doing this till he wakes up, thereupon he will clutch me as hard as he can (he's really strong, it takes the breath out of me).

...Is there any way to prevent these? Is there a better way to wake him up? He can't go to the doctor because he can't afford the co-pay. He was having these twice a night last week, but it's been about every other day recently.

Please tell me there's something either of us could do?

Off hand I don't know of anything YOU can do.

How does he feel about these night terrors? Are they upsetting him or is this just something he is used to having occasionally?

Is he under any unusual stress right now? Is he MI?

Does he have some trauma in his past that could be causing this?

Counseling could help if there is some stress or trauma that is the root. Just talking about the night terrors, how they make him feel and what they mean could be enough to set his mind at ease.

I'm not sure if waking him is best. Does he ever have the terrors and have them resolve without awakening? You don't want to get hurt if he comes out swinging while you are trying to rouse him. A psychologist may be able to advise you.

good luck,

a.m.

How does he feel about these night terrors? Are they upsetting him or is this just something he is used to having occasionally?

Is he under any unusual stress right now? Is he MI?

Does he have some trauma in his past that could be causing this?

Counseling could help if there is some stress or trauma that is the root. Just talking about the night terrors, how they make him feel and what they mean could be enough to set his mind at ease.

I'm not sure if waking him is best. Does he ever have the terrors and have them resolve without awakening? You don't want to get hurt if he comes out swinging while you are trying to rouse him. A psychologist may be able to advise you.

He hates the night terrors. Usually, they progress from bad stuff to worse stuff, and has said that sometimes I can wake him before the "worse" happens. They upset him a great deal, to where he won't talk about their content.

Class stress. Nothing too unusual.

He's got depression, maybe other stuff but won't leave his current therapist for one who might actually be able to help him.

He came from an abusive home - physical child abuse and domestic abuse.

He's in therapy but hasn't mentioned the terrors to his therapist, he doesn't like the subject at all.

If I don't wake him, he's in a funk all day. I mentioned it to my therapist but she said that since she doesn't know him then she doesn't know what I should do.

I had had nightmares, night terrors and sleep walking (sometimes all at the same time) all my life. My wife would find me standing in our room but I would usually wake up from my heart POUNDING the inside of my rib cage. SSRIs eliminated these to just bad/negative dreams every night.

Once I had a dream I was loading stuff onto a truck. In reality I tried to pick up my wife by her hair and pajamas. Then a truck sped straight at me and I jumped up on our headboard, breaking the sideboards of our bed. Good times good times.

Hi,

Notice the time & my insomnia.

I have night terrors on what I would call a frequent basis - at least once a week. and what I remember is either something really horrible (in dream) or something evil. I have no choice but to scream. its this weird awake-asleep state. and when I start screaming, i wake myself up as well as anyone else in the house. usually i fall back to sleep. however, there are times when family or friends will have to wake me in order to stop the screaming.

I contribute this to some dental work i had at 18. apparently i was screaming through the whole procedure - 4 wisdom teeth removal. and when i "came to" i was screaming. but i dont remember anything about the surgery. and ever since, i've had the night terrors.

thinking if i sleep during the day, i'll be ok,

december

i started having them recently and i talked to my tdoc about it. she suggested that i do mantras before i go to bed reaffirming that i am safe and secure (my terrors are pertaining to the security of my apartment) and that i should also just meditate on that secure feeling.

i started doing that and so far, knock on wood, i've only woken up one night.

maybe that would help him- just some mantras on safety or negating whatever it is he has these terrors about.

Archived