OMG they are sending a rehab consultant

I'm having a panic attack and I can barely breathe right now. My company insurance company is sending a rehabilitation consultant to my apartment on monday afternoon (I am on long term disability). What am I to expect with this meeting? I am in no state to go back to work anytime soon. Help me please. Aside from hiding my boyfriends weed how else do I prepare for this meeting? I'm losing it right now. How am I supposed to act? I'm scared. ;)

Hiding anything illegal or blatantly morally questionable might be a Very Good Idea.

I would *think* (hope?) the idea would be to find out if there's ANYTHING you could handle yet as far

as employment goes. Make sure you've kept up with your med schedule - being stable/calm enough

to answer the door is helpful.

Having the place look like a pigsty would leave a bad impression regardless of professional reality.

Spotless would probably give the impression that you're functional enough to go back to work.

Beyond generalities in this ... ;) << ME

I'm having a panic attack and I can barely breathe right now. My company insurance company is sending a rehabilitation consultant to my apartment on monday afternoon (I am on long term disability). What am I to expect with this meeting? I am in no state to go back to work anytime soon. Help me please. Aside from hiding my boyfriends weed how else do I prepare for this meeting? I'm losing it right now. How am I supposed to act? I'm scared. ;)

Honestly, I'm not sure what they do. But, you should be able to ask questions and get straight answers about it.

-Why are they visiting you? You should get a decent answer.

- Do you need to give them anything? From your doctors? Info on prescriptions? Documentation of anykind?

-Are they going to ask you questions about your health and want to know what sort of treatment you are having or what your expenses are?

Just some ideas I have right now.

I don't know your insurance company, but I imagine that a lot of them are similar and they do need to do reviews/checkups to make sure that you do infact need to be on disability.

I would strongly suggest having someone else there for support if at all possible. If you can't, and you feel that you should, maybe you could call the insurance company and tell them that whatever other day is convenient for you and Monday isn't. There shouldn't be a problem rescheduling.

This is just all stuff from the top of my head. I really don't have experience with this specifically but it's stuff that I would do.

I'll see if I can find actual information, but I don't know if I will be able to. If they informed you today or within the last couple days, it is sort of short notice [I think].

I do think you should call if you are able to and pump them for info. Also, write down notes on what has been going on since you were granted disability [or in the last 6 months? I don't know how long it has been].

What you have seen your doctor for and a summary of your current health? I'm not really sure, but I guess just be aware that they will ask you some questions.

Err...

I'm going to stop with the babbling.

There is NOTHING about my position that I am capable of dealing with right now. I would rather die honestly than return to work right now.

I am in a depressive episode as per my pdoc (and I concurr). But I don't sit around crying all day. How do I look depressed? Should I be dishevelled?

Should the apt be a mess to leave a bad impression?

Fuck.

Thanks for trying Nulltrooper but I'm still really unsure about this.

Thanks Luna,

I did pump them alot. They are coming to see when I can return to work and what the insurance company can do to facilitate my return to work sooner.

I asked if they need anything from my pdoc and they said they will be in touch with him. I see him before i see her monday. I can't think of anyone that can be here with me and I think I would rather get it over with because I know i won't sleep until i do.

I just wonder what they expect to learn by seeing me in person. They already have all the information they need and I think we discussed everything over the phone. They want me in therapy and I agreed. They know I am depressed. They know i am being treated and still working through med adjustments.

There must be an agenda, something that in person they expect to see.

Thanks Luna,

I did pump them alot. They are coming to see when I can return to work and what the insurance company can do to facilitate my return to work sooner.

I asked if they need anything from my pdoc and they said they will be in touch with him. I see him before i see her monday. I can't think of anyone that can be here with me and I think I would rather get it over with because I know i won't sleep until i do.

I just wonder what they expect to learn by seeing me in person. They already have all the information they need and I think we discussed everything over the phone. They want me in therapy and I agreed. They know I am depressed. They know i am being treated and still working through med adjustments.

There must be an agenda, something that in person they expect to see.

Dee, are you off work for psych reason only?

God that would NEVER happen here, well maybe, I don't know. Judging from what we've been talking about and your general mood and ill health lately I wouldn't worry about it (not to minimize your freakout.) I don't think you have to *look* any kind of way, you are depressed as shit, just let it all hang out. Tell them what you tell us, that you can't breathe even thinking about going to the market. I don't know sweetie these are all just suggestions, I would be freaked out too, so violating, to have them in your HOME, that almost seems illegal or should be. Why can't you meet with them at there place. These are all just thoughts I'm having.

I just can't fathom that. I am feeling anxious just thinking about it. Not much help from me, I'll freak out with you. But don't take this the wrong way, I agree with you that you are in no condition to work, not just because your a wing nut, but your other health stuff. Your back and whatelse? Yanno?

Stay close, I'm in for the night if that helps, I'll be off and on ze veb.

It'll be okay. And yes, ditch bf's stash for the afternoon, though I doubt they are coming with law officers who can search your effects. Obviously they just want to see you and how you function in your "native habitat", and you have not been functioning well and pdoc agrees, no problem right? Probably just a routine review. I expect I will get them. I get forms to sign from my LTD, I'm on both I have a work LTD, but I'm also on SSDI and the LTD is in place as long as the SSDI is on and the docs say my back is fucked for life so...

Jeez, I wish we could come be with you.

Hang in there sweetie, do you have benzos?

Love,

S9

Thanks S9. Chewing the Vs helped and I made a nice licorice tea.

Yes I am off for psych reasons only. It won't last forever, but I'm not stable yet and pdoc wants me stable for a couple of months before I go back to work. I see him monday morning and chances are there will be another med adjustment. The addition 300 mg of seroquel helps but it's still not enough. Maybe one of my other meds needs a changing. We'll see.

So I guess I will just be honest and agree to whatever therapy they want me in and emphasize that I am depressed. Hopefully if I smoke enough and the animals are jumping all over her, she will leave quickly.

Thanks Luna,

Luna and S9 pretty much explain what's going on. The person is coming to see and talk to you. Unless you

are a great actress or the ins. company sends an idiot, pretending to be sicker than you are ain't going

to work.

Trying to make the apartment look worse will be obvious to an experienced field person. But hey,

if you can walk in without seeing vermin, don't smell or see anything dead***, the plumbing works,

and the consultant can't tell from the living room contents what you ate three days ago then

everything is fine as it is.

OK, so my description of "acceptable" might fall into "practically catatonic" when compared to mutants

like Martha Stewart. But at least the person will stick around long enough to give you a chance at a fair

evaluation.

Not to dump on you, but I think you really need someone with you for the interview for support.

***Incense == BAD, it signals to many people that something illegal was recently smoked even if it wasn't.

i agree with S9 that you should let it hang out baby! don't be shy to show your depressed, down and out self. this isn't a popularity contest, it is them seeing if you're depressed enough to be off of work. for whatever money-hungry reason, they have to do this intrusive business.

what to do?

just do what you'd do if it was a friend coming over. you may want to talk about your problems wtih her like she's your therapist (scare her a bit), don't be afraid to cry, and do smoke a lot. especially for non-smokers, smoking is very annoying at times. if someone smokes a lot around me (unless it is a club), i'll usually try to leave ASAP. (sorry mom!).

she'll discover that you're disabled. gee, i'm glad no one had to examine me to determine that i'm bipolar. chances are that seeing me on meds they'd think i'm at least mostly fine...but still can't work...they're money-grubbing assholes.

loon

Ha, I probably would burn incense. Thanks for that tip and thanks all of you for your support.

I honestly have no one that can be here. My bf will be working and he would probably just be a nervous wreck anyways. I have no family here, they are all in other cities.

I guess I will just be myself based on what you guys are saying. I probably will cry because I can't handle stress.

I would say, just be yourself.

Don't go overly medicating; if you are little jittery, emotional, that is probably more normal and realistic. Make sure the kitchen and bath are sanitary, but I wouldn't go on a cleaning spree otherwise.

Putting up a false front of perfection for the rehab person is like doing it for your pdoc.

You'll do fine.

a.m.

Something is screaming at me that you ought to have legal representation present at this meeting. Insurance companies want to sound nice and say things like "We want to do what we can to facilitate you getting better." What they mean is "We want to find any possible reason not to pay for you anymore."

Something is screaming at me that you ought to have legal representation present at this meeting. Insurance companies want to sound nice and say things like "We want to do what we can to facilitate you getting better." What they mean is "We want to find any possible reason not to pay for you anymore."

I totally agree with this. I would not let them in the apartment unless they show you the documentation in your disability policy that says that they may visit you at home. I would tell them that they need to provide evidence that this is part of the disability insurance, and I personally would also say that I would like a copy of the entire policy, including the home visit part, to let my lawyer review it, before I'd allow them in.

My dh is a lawyer and he has taught me to ALWAYS get everything in writing before anything is done.

(as a side note, he currently works for medical insurance companies, trying to find scam doctors who double charge, charge for non-existent clients, etc)

No one I know who is on ssdi, or any private disability has ever had anyone visit their home, and I have known many people who receive these benefits.

Additionally, I think you and pdoc should argue the stress of the visit has hindered your progress towards recovery - becuase clearly IT HAS!

good luck. I'll be thinking of you.

suzy

Wow SG, as usual, your sharp as a tack. Dee, at a minimum make sure she (or you) are recording the meeting.

Also, wanted to bring this back to front page for Friday's morning viewers who mighta missed in yesterday. Might as well do one good deed being up at the buttcrack o dawn.

S9

ETA: fcuk tpyos

I don't know guys. In Canada we don't usually come forth with lawyers unless it's absolutely necessary. I actually spoke with my lawyer about this disability stuff awhile back and he said I dont need a lawyer unless I get cut off.

This might actually be in response to something my pdoc wrote on my LTD form awhile back. He put down that I "may" be able to be evaluated for return to work in fall/winter but might have to see an "occupational therapist". A "rehabilitation consultant" sounds similar.

I am seeing pdoc before I see her and I will ask him about this. Maybe he can give me some tips on what to expect.

Presenting a life of living in the bed would help your case. if they see you taking care of dogs and such they may use it against you. A dim apartment and old clothes/pjs

I don't know about Canada, but (way) down here there's a news item every few weeks about some dotty

old lady or man with like 20 cats and dogs. This is usually accompanied with the house being condemned,

the homeowner fined for inhumane treatment of pets, etc., and being carted off to some public assistance

nursing facility and never being heard from again. It's often led as "... another House of Filth item today ..."

If you don't feel that you need to go as far as legal representation, do record the session at least, and do have someone else present. You must tell everyone involved that the session is being recorded, and you must have their consent. If they ask why, you can say that it's because you are feeling anxious about the meeting, which is true, and you want to be able to review the tape later so you can make sure you haven't left anything out. I would imagine you'll have this person's phone number with instructions to "call if you think of anything else." You can also say that you want to review the session with your therapist later so he/ she can hear you describing your symptoms in response to different questions.

The other suggestion I have is to be brief. Answer the question and then stop talking. If it's an open ended question like "How does this disability affect your life?" Make them be more specific. In fact, if you can pull it off, the more things you can answer yes or no to, the better. It is OKAY to sound dumb! You have a good excuse for it with the meds anyway. ;) Saying things like "I'm not sure what you mean." "Could you be more specific?" and "Can you give me examples of what you're looking for?" will give you cues to shorten your answers. They are looking for you to ramble on about how horrible everything is. They are looking for you to give something away that will help them push you back out into work, ready or not. Don't give it to them.

Couple other things worth mentioning.

~ Set an alarm clock to go off in the middle of the meeting. In another room. Then just excuse yourself, go turn the alarm clock off, maybe take some deep breaths and recollect your thoughts, and go back. If the person asks where you went, you can say you had to call someone to wake them up for work or something.

~ Have something to drink during the entire meeting. Set it down after you take each drink, and pick it up and take a drink before you start to speak. Every time. This will slow you down a little and give you a moment to think before you speak.

~Prior to the meeting, cook something that smells bad and lingers. Better yet, burn it a little. Liver, fish... something like that. This can work for you a few ways. First, you can tell the person that your doctor said to make sure you're eating well, and you are trying to follow that by eating stuff that's good for you. Second, it gives a good reason for the friend to be there. They get to be the one that was burning the lunch, and that's probably why they came over. To help you make lunch. :) And lastly, if your house reeks, the interviewer is not going to want to stick around any longer than necessary.

~ The last one I have for you is important. You are not a doctor. Remember that. You do not diagnose yourself. You do not make assumptions about when you can go back to work. You do not guess when you will be stable on meds. If you are asked anything relating to things that are in a doctor's field, broken record that to death. "I'm not a doctor. I don't know." "You'd have to talk to my doctor to find that out." This is not being a smartass. If you went into court, and you started answering questions that had to do with determining diagnoses, medications and the like, the other lawyer would object. You are not a doctor, and you have no training or experience to justify acting like one. So don't. Even if it seems like the person wants you to... Especially if it seems like the person wants you to.

Good luck to you!

Serra

(I'm not a lawyer, but I play one with the kids in my neighborhood)

Wow, what alot of great advice. Thank you. Serra have you been through this yourself?

I can record the visit but I still don't think I can arrange for anyone else to be present.

I have no one to ask.

I feel like I am studying for an exam. :embarassed:

Not exactly, but similar situations. And I have been screwed over by insurance companies in the past. I also have a strange memory that can remember lots of things about random subjects for which I usually have no use. Advice I've heard for dealing with these situations is one of those things.

Archived