I have a lot of problems that seem to me to be caused by some sort of personality disorder. I'm seeing a pdoc and tdoc, trying to sort them out, but it is a slow process. I made a list that probably covers most of the problems I have. I'm going to post it here, and, just for fun, you can read it and tell me what you think my problem(s), or dx, might turn out to be. I don't think there are any doctors on here, so this is just for the fun of it, and maybe I'll learn something. I think there are some pretty smart people around here who have some understanding of these types of problem and might have some kind of idea what all of this adds up to. So here goes.

I hate almost all people almost all the time. I can remember times when I think people are pretty good, but they are few and short-lived. I love my children and my father. I feel some

Unguarded Moment,

Know that nothing I say here is at all diagnostic. Do not let it change your behaviors. Do not let it change your opinions of your behaviors. ANY diagnosis is just a tool to help your doctors find the right treatment plan for you. Sometimes people fit the DSM to a t, sometimes they have bits and pieces of multiple diagnosis. What is important is that you are completly comfortable and trusting of your treatment team.

Research is always good. It is always good to try and understand yourself so that you can work with your team. However, never get so attached to a diagnosis that if you are wrong, you refuse to believe your doctor. We can all read 1000 self help books, but we are not doctors.

I think it would be better for you to look at a list of symptoms and pick those with which you identify, and then i'll tell you which personality disorder they belong to. (Because so many disorders are stigmatized I just want you to look at the symptoms and be honest. if you don't want to tell in public which symptoms you identified with, please PM me.)

(oh, and i highlighted some things i thought applied to you, but you know you better than anyne. i only picked out ones from the paragraphy you wrote. you coul add more and get a clearer view. Please do not let my highlighting affect you. I could be 100% off base.

AND NOT GOOGLE CHEATING ON FINDING THIS DISORDER!!!

PD Number One

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

(1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

(2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

(3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

(4) requires excessive admiration

(5) has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

(6) is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

(8) is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her

(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Penny,

Thanks for your opinion. I know which PD this comes from. The thing is, I don't want to be this person. But I can't deny that I have suspected it within myself ever since I researched and found this information. Trying to be objective, I would say that I meet at least 5 and probably 7 of these criteria. I haven't had a chance to discuss this very much with my pdoc, but I will talk to him about it at the next opportunity. Thanks again.

J.

Unguarded Moment,

Know that nothing I say here is at all diagnostic. Do not let it change your behaviors. Do not let it change your opinions of your behaviors. ANY diagnosis is just a tool to help your doctors find the right treatment plan for you. Sometimes people fit the DSM to a t, sometimes they have bits and pieces of multiple diagnosis. What is important is that you are completly comfortable and trusting of your treatment team.

Research is always good. It is always good to try and understand yourself so that you can work with your team. However, never get so attached to a diagnosis that if you are wrong, you refuse to believe your doctor. We can all read 1000 self help books, but we are not doctors.

I think it would be better for you to look at a list of symptoms and pick those with which you identify, and then i'll tell you which personality disorder they belong to. (Because so many disorders are stigmatized I just want you to look at the symptoms and be honest. if you don't want to tell in public which symptoms you identified with, please PM me.)

(oh, and i highlighted some things i thought applied to you, but you know you better than anyne. i only picked out ones from the paragraphy you wrote. you coul add more and get a clearer view. Please do not let my highlighting affect you. I could be 100% off base.

AND NOT GOOGLE CHEATING ON FINDING THIS DISORDER!!!

PD Number One

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

(1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

(2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

(3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

(4) requires excessive admiration

(5) has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

(6) is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

(8) is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her

(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Penny,

Thanks for your opinion. I know which PD this comes from. The thing is, I don't want to be this person. But I can't deny that I have suspected it within myself ever since I researched and found this information. Trying to be objective, I would say that I meet at least 5 and probably 7 of these criteria. I haven't had a chance to discuss this very much with my pdoc, but I will talk to him about it at the next opportunity. Thanks again.

J.

if you do have npd, you can work on these behaviors with a good therapist. it would have to be someone you really trust and who is experienced with npd, and it will be a lot of work, but you can make changes.

best to you,

penny

Archived