Agitation

Lately over the last weeks I have been getting more restless, frustrated and agitated. Nothing goes fast enough for me, it's like my brain is in overdrive. I don't think I am hypomanic like I usually am because I'm not happy, my speech isn't fast, I'm not out shopping, basically I don't have all the symptoms I usually have. If anything I'm depressed right now. However I just have this incredible feeling of agitation, I am literally jigging my legs up and down and tapping and stuff.

I can't see my pdoc till Monday, I would take more of my AP to calm me down but if I take much more than usual my jaw spasms and it's really painful. Can anyone else think of relaxation techniques or something to just bring me a bit of peace?

Lately over the last weeks I have been getting more restless, frustrated and agitated. Nothing goes fast enough for me, it's like my brain is in overdrive. I don't think I am hypomanic like I usually am because I'm not happy, my speech isn't fast, I'm not out shopping, basically I don't have all the symptoms I usually have. If anything I'm depressed right now. However I just have this incredible feeling of agitation, I am literally jigging my legs up and down and tapping and stuff.

It sounds a little like a mixed state?

I like Noemie's suggestion, as sometimes cardio does help the body speed up a bit while the brain

cools off a bit.

Depending on the moment, walking or yoga. Walking to work with the agitation until it relents, or yoga to master it and consciously create calm. Sometimes walking followed by yoga. That's about the best I can suggest. Also, climbing stairs in tall buildings (school, etc) can be an alternative to walking. If there's a time when you HAVE to be still or else consequences will be dire, try tensing specific muscle groups, then relaxing them, while trying to breathe calmness into yourself. It can help for limited periods of time.

Sounds like a mixed state. Mania/hypomani + depression. A Twofer-one.

If it has been building for 3 weeks then it isn't just a momentary blip.

How does your pdoc have you handle mania/hypomania? Do you have a plan?

It's late in the day, but if you haven't been through a mixed state before with your pdoc, then call immediately and let him know what is happening. Usually they will either adjust your meds or give you something to slow down.

Not to be scary, but mixed states can be more dangerous than either straight mania or depression, because you have the lows of depression with the energy to do something about it. If you can't get hold of your pdoc and you are not feeling safe, don't hesitate to go to the ER.

If nothing else, now you can recognize the symptoms of mixed state. This will empower you to feel more in controll and not be afraid of the unknown.

Hope you feel better, a.m.

Archived