headaches

i have always had pretty constant headaches. they start behind my ears, almost under teh base of my skull and radiate out towards my shoulders and finally toward the top of my head. when i get them, things are more wavery and light hurts and my hallucinations are more colorful (literally, there are just more colors everywhere) and i feel nausea.

i used to take stuff for it. i don't anymore. i was killing myself with tylenol. now i use a heat pack and a racquet ball (dug right in where it hurts the most) and dark and quiet.

i've heard that headaches are common with autistics. is that true? if it is, what causes the headaches?

i can't remember more than a week without a headache as far back as my memory can go. it is always there, in varying degrees. i wish i could stop them.

the doctor i went to said i need mri and cat scans but i have no insurance. he said when i get insurance, to get it checked out. so i'm still stuck without knowing any cause.

abifae

• 2 weeks later...

Well...

There are a couple things you could do in the meantime.

Naproxen Sodium, if you tolerate it and it doesn't mess with any meds you are taking, is something else you could take. Ibuprofen is another option. But it is very easy to get into a cycle of rebound headaches so really be careful about how often you are using it.

* Pain relievers that decrease inflammation. Often called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), this group includes medications with aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen sodium.

* Pain relievers that don't decrease inflammation. The active ingredient in these medications is acetaminophen.

-Pain Medications: Guide to over-the-counter options [Mayo Clinic]

The chart here mentions possible complications, side effects, indications, length of relief.

It sounds like you might be getting headaches some of the time and migraine some of the time. Either way, your doctor really doesn't want to prescribe anything for it at all? It's sort of a big deal.

The most common among [headache disorders]– tension-type headache (TTH), migraine, cluster headache and the so-called chronic daily headache syndromes – cause substantial levels of disability. Headache has been and continues to be underestimated in scope and scale, and headache disorders remain under-recognized and under-treated throughout the world.

There can be a lot of contributing factors. The headaches themselves could be creating enough stress to induce more headaches, so if you find something that works, do use it. Physical therapy or massage could be helpful to some extent but without insurance it could add up. What you could do is call or contact any local schools who have physical therapy or massage programs and ask if their students need volunteers. It sounds funny, but they need to have a lot of hours to finish their program. Tension type headaches can really be helped by massage or muscle relaxation, but also other headaches and migraines can be helped too.

There can be various 'triggers' for headaches but it isn't always easy to figure out what they are or to avoid them. You could try keeping track of what you eat and various patterns in routine and noting if there is any connection to when you might have more headaches or more intense headaches. These could encourage headaches by just increasing the probability of you feeling 'yuck'. [or maybe not at all]

Headache/Migraine Diaries:

WebMD

-I sort of like this one because it give space for a lot of info. Seems odd to print out though.

Maxalt

-pages are for maxalt. There is a one page per day setup, but it is mostly checking things off.

Pain Care Online

-This one is actually really neat. It's online and it is really thorough- checking off boxes so it's easy to do.

Something else is sleeping- are you getting enough? You have allergies or do you feel stuffy at all at night. Just as something to try, those breathright strips might be worth giving a shot and see if it helps. Are you being disrupted, is where you sleep comfortable, blah blah blah.

These are all just little things that may help a bit.

Are any of your meds making you sensitive to light? Have you tried wearing sunglasses? Do you use styling product in your hair that might be irritating your scalp? [pulling on it- yeah. I'm serious about this one].

Are there other things going on with your health that you are neglecting?

Other than those things... I'm out of ideas, really.

I figured some other people might be able to give you some ideas on the little stuff they do that they think helps them if this were here instead. The question about headaches and the autistic spectrum is a good one though and it would be neat to try and have that topic there also.

You do sound like you might be having some migraines and some headaches also. I'm just a spaz with a computer, so let's hope you can get that insurance sometime soon.

cool! thank you for the info. and, no, the doc wouldn't prescribe meds cuz i can't afford to get them filled.

i will plough through those sites and see if i can't find any answers.

i know the main trigger for the extremely severe two weeks of pain into a full blown migraine is that my seratonin dumps and when it gets too low, i get the headache. the rest of the time, though, i have no idea where they come from.

i've tried tracking triggers, but it's so constant that i haven't been able to isolate anything. sometimes i think it's just my brain chemistry. sometimes i think i just keep all my tension really high in my neck and give myself headaches from how tight it gets.

but thank you for some starting places for answers ;)

abifae

i get those kinds of headaches too. and the ones that start in behind my ears and end up in my jaw, which is horrible. i had the cat and mri and you know what...nothing. my guuess was that is was some kind of seizure or something. always happens when im on my laptop.

Twich, what you described for me is related to my neck and pinched nerves. I injured my neck in a car accident and periodically have problems. Fortunately, I kept my soft cervical collar, and usually all it takes to decompress my neck is a few hours to a day or two of wearing the collar. Two weeks ago I had near continuous headaches starting at the back of my neck and radiating to the top. I finally realized I was spending too much time hunched over the computer. Collar on for for a couple days...solved.

You can find soft collars in larger drugstores for around $10.

a.m.

some of what you are describing sounds like tension headaches. (which may or may not be related to migranes, the jury is still out. or, rather, some docs say they are, some say they aren't.)

i got amazing relief from my tension headaches by going to a cranial sacral therapist. my cranial sacral therapist is also a physical therapist, so she'd be a lot w/o insurance, but some are chiropractors and may not cost as much. cranial sacral is VERY gentle. it's very new agey and about rhythms in the body and blah blah, but i don't think it can hurt you as it's so gentle. not deep tissue, no manipulation of bones, etc.

anyway, cranial sacral really helped with the tension headaches (actually, i haven't had one since my second session.)

another personal experience thing:

i was getting chronic migranes with no trigger that i could find. maxalt helped, but you can't take that every day, and you can't take it with certain medications.

and then i moved. and it turned out i was reacting to the off gassing from the new carpet in my apartment and the formeldehyde dust from the poorly installed insulation that was comming through the vents. once i moved into an older apartment with no carpet, no presswood, and no formeldehyde dust, my migranes went away. it took about a month for me to stop reacting to odd things like card board boxes, home depot, kinkos, scented detergents, cleaning products and perfumes. basically, i had "multiple chemical sensitivity" and it was causing migranes. carpeting, presswood, etc. can be hard to remove from your life. but things like artificial perfumes and harsh cleansing products (i only use those hippy ecover type products) are fairly easy to remove from your life, and it won't hurt anything other than the minor increase in cost for natural cleansers.

i'm not saying that either of the things that helped me apply to you.

just that they are things to think about, esp. environmental stuff like my MCS.

autistics are often more sensitive to chemicals than NTs (i.e., why some people find the feingold diet to be helpful.)

hope you find answers soon.

i think a lot of mine are tension headaches. i've been getting them since second grade, and in that span of time, the only constant has been ME. in that time, i've done elimination diets, vegetarian diets, clean living, drugged out living, etc... if the headaches never stopped, it has to just be me.

however, i get them even when i'm fairly relaxed. they are less severe, but no matter my mood, i always seem to still have a bit of a headache at the least. so i sometimes get to wondering about it.

abifae

Twich, what you described for me is related to my neck and pinched nerves. I injured my neck in a car accident and periodically have problems. Fortunately, I kept my soft cervical collar, and usually all it takes to decompress my neck is a few hours to a day or two of wearing the collar. Two weeks ago I had near continuous headaches starting at the back of my neck and radiating to the top. I finally realized I was spending too much time hunched over the computer. Collar on for for a couple days...solved.

You can find soft collars in larger drugstores for around $10.

a.m.

its not really my neck though, its my eyes. i have these tension headaches in my eyes after the computer. then it starts behind my ears and down my jaw. it also causes my face to spasm, which is weird. i dunno.

its not really my neck though, its my eyes. i have these tension headaches in my eyes after the computer. then it starts behind my ears and down my jaw. it also causes my face to spasm, which is weird. i dunno.

is your vision correct? or is the lighting okay?

other than that, i'd say rest your eyes every hour or two... turn off the screen, maybe even the lights, and just rest. of course, most jobs own't allow that kind of slacking, but i think it might help.

abifae

Are the headaches related to DID/switching? If it is physical then do all of "you" get them? Does this make any sense? Cause headaches are so common with switching and DID. But if only "you" the upfront person feels it then I'm not sure that there is anything you can do, externally, to remedy it.

i don't know! i'm also curious, and have been, about how our disorders/mood episodes somehow give us headaches and migraines.

when i'm having a really bad mood episode, the kind where i'm taking emergency meds, i always get the worst migraines. i'll throw up sometimes. no light, no sound, no touch, anything related to the senses is out. it is a horrible pain, and it takes over my whole body sometimes! it is very weird. i mentioned it to my pdoc and i took topamax for awihle (for mood stabilization and migraines), and it helped, but now i'm not on it anymore for a number of reasons.

why do these things give us headaches? maybe for you the cause is chemical or something in your environment or that you eat. food allergies are common culprits.

as for me, i only (usually) get this problem when i'm having such a bad mood episode that emergency meds need to come out and the hospital is considered. i've had them in the ER before under those bright hospital ilghts, with people drawing blood...and me throwing up...ewww

Archived