memory dysfunction

It is a well know fact, that epilepsy (and temporal lobe epilepsy in particular) is associated with severe, sometimes progressive memory dysfunction (random study, chosen out of dozens of various studies about memory in epilepsy). However, I haven't found much about anything to prevent or reverse the dysfunction.

Did any of you get anything prescribed specifically for memory function? Antioxidants, anticholinesterases, nootropics, calcium channel blockers (including CCB anticonvulsants, like Dilantin)? Did it help? Any non-drug treatments, computer-based training?

I'm curious about everyone's experience in that area.

It is a well know fact, that epilepsy (and temporal lobe epilepsy in particular) is associated with severe, sometimes progressive memory dysfunction (random study, chosen out of dozens of various studies about memory in epilepsy). However, I haven't found much about anything to prevent or reverse the dysfunction.

Did any of you get anything prescribed specifically for memory function? Antioxidants, anticholinesterases, nootropics, calcium channel blockers (including CCB anticonvulsants, like Dilantin)? Did it help? Any non-drug treatments, computer-based training?

I'm curious about everyone's experience in that area.

It sucks doesn't it.

Unfortunately the meds also don't help memory dysfunction. Anti convulsants have a negative effect on memory, different meds effect different kinds of memory. But memory loss is one of the side effects of meds that gradually wears off over time while memory loss from illness, whether MI or neuro stuff gets gradually worse over time.

As far as I'm aware there isn't much you can do to get your memory back once it's gone due to seizure disorders but the meds stop it getting any worse after the side effects have worn off a bit.

I'm also schizophrenic, which also rots my memory, so I'm getting rather stoopid in my old age (experiencing old age at 27) ;)

But somewhere between an anti psychotic an anti depressant and an anti convulsant my stoopidness is plateauing (sp).

Glad it's helping (even if not completely). Luckily the area of cognitive dysfunction in schizophrenia is rather extensively explored, so maybe some newer med not yet on the market will help even more.

I've got an article about improving memory in epilepsy, and the bottom line is: first of all, one needs good anticonvulsants without cognitive side effects (lamotrigine is a good example), also, depression - if present - should be under control (depression screws memory). If that doesn't help, one can use acetylcholinesterase inhibitors (meds for Alzheimer's, alas, they can make epilepsy worse) or stimulants (particularly methylphenidate, which was tested in epilepsy, with encouraging results).

Archived