algae-derived EPA/DHA supplement

Hi,

I got this product V-Pure which is sold by water4.net

The ingredients are 75mg EPA, 270mg DHA.

What is good about it is that it is vegetarian and vegan, the capsule is derived from potato starch, and the algae is grown organically and omega-3s are extracted with natural oils. it doesnt make me as tired as the fish oil caps, which might have to relate to the blood thinning effect of EPA which is higher in fish oil, or may relate to something else that EPA does.

So the EPA/DHA ratio is something like 1:4, but both are present. ALA is converted to EPA, and EPA is converted to DHA i think, so I'm not sure if this algae ratio can be improved by taking flax seed oil as well.

Isn't DHA useless for adults, who mostly need EPA?

And who needs vegan EPA anyway? Grow up people...

DHA is found to be necessary for most antidepressant/mood stabilizer effects in many studies (i.e. EPA alone is not sufficient, or only produces a partial response). This vegan EPA is a lot more important than you'd think not because of the vegans, but that fish stocks are dwindling in most of the world. anyways read up about it instead of just complaining.., as far as the EPA/DHA ratio thing, thats really an individual preference, i.e. YMMV. given that the brain neuron membranes are largely DHA (among other PUFAs) and your body cannot manufacture its own DHA (except from EPA by delta 4 conjugation and in small amounts from ALA in the peroxisomes and mitochondria), saying DHA is useless for adults is false.

besides, given that the cost of making this algae is much less than growing freshwater fish, and the algae is grown 100% organically in controlled conditions, i think pretty soon this might take over. algae have been used as nutritional food/supplements by the ancient chinese and native americans, and it is the direct source of the EPA/DHA in fish.

this should also be cast in a nutritional context (most diets are deficient in omega-3s) as well as mental health (EPA is more effective than DHA)... so i think this is a great advance nutritionally and has potential to help some people with their depression/bipolar.

The ingredients are 75mg EPA, 270mg DHA.

I think that says all. 75mg is very, very, very little. Like, you have 3-4 times as much in a regular fish oil capsule. THAT's why being vegan is probably the only one advantage of the product. The lack of EPA is a serious disadvantage, in my opinion.

The Penny's FAQ says about amount of 1000mg of EPA per day to get any benefits in depression. 14 capsules? Of course, the FAQ is not made by NIH and nobody has to believe it, but 75 mg is still suspiciously low.

im glad i managed to get some convo going with this thread! yeah, the low EPA is a problem, but unlike flax it does contain EPA and DHA. so it appeals to that flaxseed oil crowd.

also, fish oil has to be chemically refined to remove pollutants since these are often highly fat soluble. it looks like they extracted the algae oil here with natural stuff like oleic acid (a natural fatty acid) and there are no pollutants in the oil. thats a good thing.

im guessing this ratio is just the natural ratio of EPA/DHA in algae.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: this stuff has helped my mood a little, but also my blood pressure went from around 125/75 to consistently around 120/60 since taking this stuff for 2 months. i havent seen what has happened to the bp since starting strattera, but that of course can raise it.

Archived