wellbutrin - popular I know but...

Guest montyface

Guest montyface

I know wellbutrin is poplular but how is it? I have read some people have really bad experiences with anxiety, anger, violence, etc.

what is the better form? I think they have 3 out right now? regular, extended, and like really extended?

Who takes it to counter the tired shite effect of ssri's? that is my big problem. are there other meds to take for the tired effect and no motivation feeling of ssri's?

I'm on 100mg WB SR for dysthymia and poor concentration. It's helped. Together with Synthroid, I went from an average 14 hours sleep per day to eight or nine, and I'm capable of reading pieces longer than three hundred words again. It's groovy.

Except I'm depressed again, so I don't know if the dose will be raised or if something else will be added in...

I know wellbutrin is poplular but how is it? I have read some people have really bad experiences with anxiety, anger, violence, etc.

what is the better form? I think they have 3 out right now? regular, extended, and like really extended?

Who takes it to counter the tired shite effect of ssri's? that is my big problem. are there other meds to take for the tired effect and no motivation feeling of ssri's?

I wouldn't say anger and violence. I'd say crankiness and pissiness. And most of it (not all of it) for a few weeks after raising the dose. If you're sort of ok on an SSRI now, but have too many side effects, it might be worth trying. I didn't feel all that tired on Prozac, probably because I started to get good sleep for a while, but I did get a bit blase about things. It would be hard to be more unmotivated than I already was. Adderall dealt with a lot of that, tho of course it isn't free of it's own side effects, like, for me, for a long time, emotional volatility. Not much of a problem at first given the reverse effect from Prozac. But I was taking it for ADD. Much of which expressed itself as poor motivation.

Guest montyface

well, this ought to be fun, pdoc took me off cymbalta today and moved me from 30mg of that to 10mg lexapro.

I was on cymbalta for like over 3 weeks, 2 at 30mg, 1 at 60mg, and now 3 days at 30mg, and the tiredness and blah was to much, so he said:

10mg lexapro for 2 weeks, then 20mg,

ALSO

150 mg wellbutrin sr for 2 weeks and the 300mg of wellbutrin for 2 weeks,

So I see him in a month

I am a bit worried because my anxiety sucks, but I have klonopin so I guess that will help

he says to start them both together?

I wouldn't say anger and violence. I'd say crankiness and pissiness. And most of it (not all of it) for a few weeks after raising the dose. If you're sort of ok on an SSRI now, but have too many side effects, it might be worth trying. I didn't feel all that tired on Prozac, probably because I started to get good sleep for a while, but I did get a bit blase about things. It would be hard to be more unmotivated than I already was. Adderall dealt with a lot of that, tho of course it isn't free of it's own side effects, like, for me, for a long time, emotional volatility. Not much of a problem at first given the reverse effect from Prozac. But I was taking it for ADD. Much of which expressed itself as poor motivation.

my uncle is a pharmacist and he's really good with questions like that, but off the top of my non-medically trained head i'd say that starting lex and WB together doesn't sound like a problem.

as far as how you'll react to WB? i never noticed any side effects. i can write the book on side effects of some drugs, and on others i never had any. this is one that never gave me a problem. i think i take SR but i'd have to look at the bottle, i'm not sure. i don't know if there is a better or worse in terms of duration of effectiveness.

i take it once a day, in the morning, and don't have a problem with it. i used to take it at night and had no problems, but my pdoc suggested the morning so i switched it. no big deal.

wb has helped keep my mood up out of depression land, adn other than that, i haven't noticed it doing anything else. that's how meds should be, right?

ask me about atypical antipsychotic side effects sometime. you'll absolutely die hearing some of these.

loon

I started on WB about two months ago, and at first (once the initial s/e dissipated), I seemed to be okay. Now I seem to be crashing, and a lot of that is coming out in the form of anger. "Irritation" would be a grand understatement. I can't say if the wb is to blame for that or not, but I've heard that it can be. I have a pdoc appt tomorrow, and will discuss this further. I'm taking the XL, but if I'm to stay on it, I want to switch to the SR version, merely because it's generic. I was told that the XL was simply a smoother release.

I started on WB about two months ago, and at first (once the initial s/e dissipated), I seemed to be okay. Now I seem to be crashing, and a lot of that is coming out in the form of anger. "Irritation" would be a grand understatement. I can't say if the wb is to blame for that or not, but I've heard that it can be. I have a pdoc appt tomorrow, and will discuss this further. I'm taking the XL, but if I'm to stay on it, I want to switch to the SR version, merely because it's generic. I was told that the XL was simply a smoother release.

Yes, but with that smoother release comes a smoother onset of all side effects, including agitation.

If you have no side effects on the XL, it you can usually safely switch to the SR. If you have side effects on the XL, stay there because they will be worse on the SR.

I'm on it INSTEAD of ssri's (which weren't doin' it for me). I can honestly say I feel just....normal. I take the XL form (I know nothing about which one does what; just know what I'm on). Helps my mood, definitely helps my energy and focus, and no pesky sexual side effects. That said, I don't have any history of anxiety or anger problems (I don't really do "angry" as such). VERY recently (I've been on it for almost a year now; and recently means last couple of weeks) I've been on a self-righteous socio-political rage kick, but I don't really blame the drug for that (I instead blame the british Queer as Folk). As always, mileage may vary, but it CAN work well.

I took Zyban to quit smoking (also bupropion).

It made me hypomanic for two weeks, then crashing into mixed state land and had to be taken to the hospital. It was two really happy weeks before that tho. ;)

FWIW, the PI-sheet here carries a huge warning about not taking it if you're bipolar (the SSRI's don't), whereas in US it's apparently considered to be one of the safest to not induce mania or rapid cycling.

Edit: It might work differently (I really hope) if you're "just" depressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Not that it is normal for a person to have favorite psychotropic drugs but I would say that Wellbutrin is among my favorites. The only side effect I ever had from it was weight loss/ loss of appetite. I had to go off of it because I was abusing laxatives while taking it and that would have made me more succeptable to seizures. I'm on cymbalta now and am doing great on it.

just started wellbutrin a week ago and so far dont feel much different. I take the lexapro to using 20mg each day. the welbutrin is supposed to help with the side effects of lexapro but so far it seems to not do much i wonder how long it takes to work. it is 150mg sr generic version each morning

eww effexor-- that drug made me suicidal and psychotic. I ended up ODing on it. Was told to never take it again!

Archived