benzos inducing mania?

Ok, this question was supposed to be about rohypnol (flunitrazepam) specifically, but since that's not so popular a medication I'll broaden the question to any similar experience with benzodiazepines. Moderators please feel free to move if you think this belongs in the NOS forum. Well, the thing is, I often notice that when I take Rohypnol to sleep, I feel a little hyper and tending to the hypomanic side the next day. This shouldn't rise many eyebrows considering that rohypnol gives me a restoring, restful sleep I never get otherwise, but this mild to moderate hypomania gets dysphoric a little too frequently. I don't experience this with Dalmane (flurazepam), which instead gives me quite a hangover, and it seems to wane away when I use Rohypnol every night for a while. Is this just me, is it a rohypnol thing, or is it just the natural continuation of what made me drug myself down into sleep anyway?

Miquel,

Hello.

I can't find a prescribing information sheet for rohypnol, since it isn't approved in the US. I check several benzos and found a couple that show paradoxical reactions, like agitation, mania, etc.

So yes it is possible for some benzos to cause such a reaction. The PI's say that if you experience these reactions you should discontinue use of the drug. I don't know whether the reaction is purely short term or whether there is the possibility for triggering a full blown manic episode, and destabilizing you long term. This is something you should discuss with your doctor.

a.m.

Archived