BPD and CrazyMeds

effexor has some good results clinically, actually:

Venlafaxine in the treatment of borderline personality disorder.

The data presented in this article indicate that venlafaxine is effective in treating borderline personality disorder (BPD) as an initial intervention and may benefit many individuals for whom fluoxetine or sertraline treatment has failed.
i had a doctor who was really all about zyprexa, and it seems like it does have clinical results (i just had a bad experience with zyprexa so i wasn't willing to give it a go.... there are studies on other APs, here is on on abilify, if zyprexa isn't somewhere you want to go.)

Here's a study on zyprexa alone, zyprexa with prozac and prozac alone.

A preliminary, randomized trial of fluoxetine, olanzapine, and the olanzapine-fluoxetine combination in women with borderline personality disorder.

Using random-effects regression modeling of panel data of change-from-baseline scores and controlling for time, olanzapine monotherapy and OFC were associated with a significantly greater rate of improvement over time than fluoxetine on both outcome measures. However, it should be noted that fluoxetine treatment led to a substantial reduction in impulsive aggression and severity of depression. Weight gain was relatively modest in all 3 groups but significantly greater in the olanzapine-treated group than in the groups treated with fluoxetine alone or OFC. CONCLUSION: All 3 compounds studied appear to be safe and effective agents in the treatment of women with borderline personality disorder, significantly ameliorating the chronic dysphoria and impulsive aggression common among borderline patients. However, olanzapine monotherapy and OFC seem to be superior to fluoxetine monotherapy in treating both of these dimensions of borderline psychopathology.
(bolds and underlines are mine, OFC is prozac and zyprexa

And here's something on topamax

Topiramate treatment for women with borderline personality disorder: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study.

According to the intent-to-treat principle, significant changes (all P bolds and italics mine

Good results have also been shown with lamictal:

Lamotrigine as a promising approach to borderline personality: an open case series without concurrent DSM-IV major mood disorder.

Of BPD patients who completed the trial, 50% achieved sustained remission from their personality disorder with lamotrigine monotherapy. The dramatic nature of the response in patients refractory to all previous medication trials and maintenance of a robust response over 1 year, argue against a placebo effect. Controlled systematic investigation of lamotrigine in BPD is indicated.
and

Lamotrigine treatment of aggression in female borderline-patients: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study.

Lamotrigine appears to be a safe and effective agent in the treatment of anger in women with criteria-defined BPD as defined by SCID criteria.

meds like lamictal, zyprexa, topamax and ability can be added on to effexor.

i hope this helped. i tend to give people studies. (sorry i didn't summarize the abilify, let me know if the link didn't work.) let me know if you have any questions.

the only thing i've ever read that isn't good for BPD is that benzos can decrease impulse control, which is a bad thing. (of course, i took klonopin all through my treatment (DBT... which is amazing and i hope you're in or can get in, i'm all about DBT as it really is amazing and can completley change your life) for borderline, so....)**

lemme know if you have any questions.

good luck!

penny

** really, see if you can get into a DBT program in your area. it helped me enough that i no longer dx BPD (though i'm still crazy, heh) and i find myself using skills from DBT each and every day.

My magic bullet was:

Wellbutrin XL 300mg

Celexa 40mg

Zyprexa 1.25mg

But I gained 20 lbs even on that little bit of Zyprexa, so we're in the process of switching me to Geodon. Now that we're up to 80mg / night, things seem to be as good as they were on the Zyprexa.

im on a mood stabiliser (although you wouldnt know it at the moment)

- epilim (sodium valproate)

and i am on an atypical anti-psychotic

-solian

i have tried anti depressants and they did nothing but make me fat i tried close to 13 different types of them before i came to this conclusion.

i think everyone is different though and different meds work for different people. i have tried some of the meds others have listed here and they did nothing for me but work wonders for them.

good luck

My magic bullet was:

Wellbutrin XL 300mg

Celexa 40mg

Zyprexa 1.25mg

But I gained 20 lbs even on that little bit of Zyprexa, so we're in the process of switching me to Geodon. Now that we're up to 80mg / night, things seem to be as good as they were on the Zyprexa.

I take it back. Geodon made me hypomanic. Not good. Back to Zyprexa for me. Hopefully I won't gain anymore weight.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm on Depakote, which has helped a lot, and Risperdal for my psychotic symptoms, though it has a mood stabilising effect. I am also on Lofepramine but I am not sure it does anything for me.

I am thriving on Prozac and Zyprexa. The Prozac stops the depression and suicidal thoughts and impulses along with all the typical borderline traits, The Zyprexa stops all the psychotic weirdness. I love my drugs. I feel energised, confident, focused and capable again after 5 years of fucking unholy torture. I never thought I would be back to normal again and I was scared of Zyprexa and AAPs for the longest time, if I had taken it years ago a lot of unpleasantness in my life - hospitalisations and suicide attempts - might have been averted. Oh and staying sober helps too.

I love my drugs!

I must be the only person here on an AP/AAP that doesn't feel flat and tired and bored, I feel the opposite - like what I imagine ritalin does for an ADD person.

The drugs have revolutionised my life and I'm going to continue boring you all to death with singing their praises! ;)

I was diagnosed with BPD a couple of years ago. I have tried several different types of drugs. Lithium definately helped but I've been taken off it now. I'm currently on:

Anti-depressant: Citalopram (40mg)

Anti-psychotic: Quetiapine (75mg)

They really seem to be helping at the moment. Hope they continue to do so.

I swear to God, Blackbird, you are most definitely getting a cut from Zyprexa. So just how much are they paying you, girl?

Hey, I think we are heading that direction so I'm only teasing you. I'm tired of playing around with this mess.

DMF

I am thriving on Prozac and Zyprexa. The Prozac stops the depression and suicidal thoughts and impulses along with all the typical borderline traits, The Zyprexa stops all the psychotic weirdness. I love my drugs. I feel energised, confident, focused and capable again after 5 years of fucking unholy torture. I never thought I would be back to normal again and I was scared of Zyprexa and AAPs for the longest time, if I had taken it years ago a lot of unpleasantness in my life - hospitalisations and suicide attempts - might have been averted. Oh and staying sober helps too.

I love my drugs!

I must be the only person here on an AP/AAP that doesn't feel flat and tired and bored, I feel the opposite - like what I imagine ritalin does for an ADD person.

The drugs have revolutionised my life and I'm going to continue boring you all to death with singing their praises! ;)

Archived