gmail went kaboom

sepia

Am I the only one here who can't get gmail to load? It was fine this afternoon, it was slow around 5:30, and now it just does. not. load. Ever. I can get to google and other google services, but gmail just shows the beachball of loading indefinitely. Anybody else?

i got gmail because of all the hype about how good it is, but it has given me nothing but trouble for the week i've had it. it just won't load! how am i supposed to write anything if it won't load?

i only use it with one person so far, because it is an experiment. i'm not sure if i'm going to use it at all or just keep my yahoo account.

they're not giving me a good first impression.

Okay, I can apparently access my gmail account from my PC, but not from my iBook, even though the two are connected over the same wireless network. The iBook suddenly stopped working at school, too. This is just weird.

I did that. Cleared page history, cache, authenticated sessions, and some other stuff. Still won't load. I also can't access the help pages. Although there is a google cache of many of them, there is none of the contact info page. So yeah. Annoyed. It's been doing weird stuff for the past thirteen days, but this, this is what bugs me most. Thanks, Loon.

Are you using safari or firefox? It doesn't like khtml based browsers a whole lot. The web is getting increasingly AJAX heavy and khtml doesn't fully support it. There might be problems with some of the features of the next major version of IPB too btw.

Are you behind a web proxy of any kind?

i usually use opera, but i thought that maybe gmail was having issues with opera, so i switched to having just 1 IE window open (a friend claimed that will help), and it still loads like crap. it takes forever! i think a part of it is my computer hardware that seriously needs to be updated, but gmail's servers are slow. and it runs in javascript, so that makes it slow too. it sucks all around. i got it to try it, and i'm seriously sticking with yahoo. they didn't give me a good impression!

To go off on a tangent several days late, WebCore/WebKit and KHTML keep getting progressively less and less close to each other as time goes by. They were almost the same when Safari was first released, but at this point, just because something does or doesn't work in one doesn't really say much about how it will behave in the other anymore. Not all of the changes from one have been incorporated into the other. A lot of them haven't been, actually, last I heard. It's just sort of silly when people talk about them as if they're more similar than they are or almost interchangeable.

Archived