BBC Series on Bipolar

This may not apply to many people, but the BBC will be concluding their two-part mini-series on living with Bipolar tonight at 9pm (UK time). It's starring Stephen Fry and last week he went through describing what his life has been like, talked to Robbie Williams, Carrie Fischer and many others about how they cope with the disorder.

It is VERY well done and any bipolar will relate in part or in whole to what is said on the program.

If anyone is interested, here is a link to the program that includes useful information and downloads along with interviews. LINK

A quicky synopsis:

Stephen Fry presented the topic of Bipolarity in a humane and sympathetic way that really touched me. I didn't actually learn anything new, but I felt much more at ease with the disease than before. He was able to show that this illness doesn't discriminate based on race, social strata, education, upbringing or sex.

There were parts that were hard to watch. In particular a part where he interviewed a family whose beautiful and talented daughter committed suicide because she refused to accept that she had an illness and seek treatment.

He spoke to a neurosurgeon who has spent time in Bethlehem as a patient (the hospital where the word Bedlem derives from). She was very certain that diet and Omega 3 are key to wellbeing and continues to work as a doctor despite her illness.

He spoke with Richard Dryfuss who has been on Lithium for over 20 years and says he couldn't live without it.

The series was filmed over a long enough period of time that we were able to see Stephen go through his own cycles from manic shopping spree to complete immobility and self-loathing. It wasn't acted, but real and anyone who is BP would certainly relate heavily.

Personally, I think it put a positive and hopeful face on BP and de-shamed much of the classic images of both the illness and the treatments. I hope enough people worldwide will get to see this in time. Perhaps we should start a campaign to encourage PBS to pick it up in America.

excuse my ignorance but what is 'Channel BitTorrent'? something i can watch while online? id really like to see that bbc special and would love if its available for free on the 'net. if so, can someone post a link. thanks.

• 3 months later...

Archived