Is Adderall In My Cards?

Loon-A-TiK

hiya-

i've been complaining about my ADD (inattentive) forever, since even before my DX. it is dangerous, to the point where i cause traffic accidents, almost run people over at crosswalks, and am a general flake. my idea of taking meds is "sometime in the morning".

i've been told that because of my cocktail, they'd really rather not give me adderall. they'd rather me just learn to live with it. but it is at the point (and has been) where it is dangerous to myself and others.

i finally got that through to my pnurse, who made me take the evaluation again just to be sure. now he's going to talk it over with the actual pdoc, who can write a script for adderall or not.

i've already tried strattera and am on WB. neither has done anything.

do you think this will be a problematic combo? do you think they're going to come back with a script for adderall, or one of the other choices? i'm new to the world of stims and i'm sure you guys are familiar with them because you've had to deal with them.

From what I understand it is not safe to use stimulants in cases of ADD with comorbid or coexisting bp unless manic and psychotic symptoms have been stabilized for quite a while. Otherwise there is a likelihood of a worsening of psychotic symptoms. Some go so far as to say they should never be used with individuals who have ever been psychotic.

Have you tried strattera?

Strattera didn't work for me either, Loon. I ended up on a rather high dose, which I believe was a contributing factor to my belly flop in February. It was also the only medication my psychiatrist was willing to consider for treating my ADD, which he's only half-convinced I have. He prescribed me alertec (Provigil's Canadian name) just this afternoon, so we'll see if that has any affect on anything.

From my own hazy recollection of your posts, you tend to cycle several times a year, and your medications are adjusted often in order to try get the cycling to stop. Taking stims really isn't advised for bipolars who haven't stabilized. They can ramp up cycling and induce mania, and you've been there, done that, got the T-shirt, and probably don't want to go back again. Adderall is probably not a good idea.

I realize your ADD is significanly affecting your life, but I think mania's probably the greater threat. You can learn to be less of a danger to yourself and others. You can take a serious crack at developing organizational strategies that will actually help you keep on track. You can condition yourself to always do X in X manner, or at Y time, so that certain essential things come automatically. (Conditioning can take quite a while, but it *works.*) Try non-chemical ways of managing your ADD until your bipolar disorder is adequately controlled, then *maybe* you can safely add a stimulant.

On the topic of stabilizing your bipolar, could adopting an extremely regimented approach like this one possibly help you become and remain stable? It seems like the sort of thing most people haven't tried, but it's perhaps useful.

hiya-

thanks lmnop!

yes, i cycle pretty quickly and have had my meds changed fairly often. this summer i didn't cycle and it was an amazing thing- i haven't cycled since early spring!

this is probably too often/not stable enough for them to consider adderall.

i just have to have airbags, good car insurance, and pay extra-extra good attention when i drive, and take the bus when i can now that i get free bus passes (ssd gets me free bus passes- good for something!). i'm afraid i'm going to hurt someone. but if i'm not stable that someoen could likely be myself- so probably no way to treat the ADD.

maybe i'll ask to try strattera again. maybe i just need a higher dose or something. it didn't work last spring, but maybe it will now. i'll ask again!

The only difference I can see in our "cocktails" is that you take Respiridil, which I can't take (I take tegretol)

I have had WONDERFul look with Adderral, just need the doc to up it tomorrow. If you are truly ADD, it will not make you manic, or speedy--it will just helpyou focus and be motivated.

Are you still haveing the psychotic ideations? I take Wellbutrin and Zoloft, tried the Strattera, nada, I have a super high tolerance for stimulants and benzos so its kinda probolamatic.

But I sure would ask about it--for ADD, for me, its been wonderful.

Good luck!!

china

thanks china- my doctors are talking about it and trying to decide what to do. it sounded like they were going to start small and see where they would go from there, to see how i tolerate it.

no psychosis for quite some time, no manias since feb, and no depressions.

I'm a happy camper--convinced my [doc today thatmy tolerance for stimulants is way beyond most folks--he took my blood pressure, listened to my tales of self-medication, and promptly bumped the Adderall up to 30 mg. twce a day.

HOWEVER--word to the wise--do NOT wash down the Adderall with a large iced Starbuck's with 2 shots in it. Even my wacked out system couldn't take that-=-had tocome home and take a Klonopin! LOL--should have know better--

hope it works for you--

china

I would really consider the risks of Adderall if you have psychotic tendencies.

Saying that from own experience. Ritalin made me suicidally psychotic to the point where I ended up in ER from an overdose. It wasn't life threathening, but I woke up with tubes in my arms wondering what the hell happened. And drinking that liquid with chunks of coal in it is not that fun really.

Your cocktail seems to be changed all the time, not nessecarily a bad thing, but it indicates you're not really stable right now.

Having ADD doesn't protect you from psychosis caused by these meds.

Maybe consider something "weaker" first? Concerta? That was milder for me. Starting out with amphetamine/dextroamphetamine when you have been clearly psychotic doesn't make any sense to me.

yeah, i have no idea what they're going to decide (my pnurse and pdoc have to talk about this). maybe my pdoc won't like the idea, or if they decide to go for it i can bring up these issues and see what they have to say. it is good to know this kind of stuff to ask them about it. my pdoc works with a lot of kids and is the treatment center's expert in stim use. i feel like whatever he decides is fair to try. i haven't had psychosis for awhile, but my bp is always bouncing around. i've been stable for a few months. i don't think this is long enough to qualify as stable though! ;)

I'm sorry if I sounded like I was preaching, I just wanted to share my horrible experience.

I really hope that if they put you on Adderall, it works out to the best. Myself I have to live with ADHD with only minimal help from Provigil, so I feel you there.

Ask them if you can start really low and if you can get the XR version, I think that should minimize the risks.

Did you check out the coping mechanisms thread btw? http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.ph...ping+mechanisms

Edit: IF Adderall makes you go crazy, don't give up there. Concerta worked for me for months without scary side effects, it was just Ritalin that fucked me up, and now I'm banned from pure stimulants.

Edit again: Has Lamictal made your ADD worse? Or your short-term memory? I think it has for me.

helena-

i now have 10mg adderall and i'm going to start it on friday. that seems like a low enough dose to get used to it and see how it effects me.

i got taken off of topamax because it made me hyper and stupid. even worse than usual. not even lists were helping!

i don't know about the lamictal. i wasn't paying attention when i started it and i've been on it for 2 years.

i've tried to live with ADD and i can basically manage it in my daily life. i worry about driving, because i'm very easily distracted and have caused accidents. i've also almost run people over. driving takes all my effort.

mosty, because i'm now on SSDI, i wouldn't care about having ADD for the most part because i can manage the few things i have to manage and there's no work to worry about. work was a whole other story! i worry, as i said, about driving and potentially hurting myself and other people. in my last accident i smashed up teh car pretty good and the airbags went off. in my defense- i had a green arrow and was turning left on the arrow, and the guy who i smacked into had a gray car, on a gray day, with no lights on. how was i supposed to avoid that, and i had the right of way.

ahhh....

i'm hoping that adderall will help what's been bothering me my whole life and show me that i'm not lazy, crazy, or stupid ;) (well, the crazy part i know, but i'm not lazy or stupid)

edit- oh, another thing- how will it feel? will it just take care of my symptoms, or will i feel speedy or slower?

I was going to say your doc is an idiot to give that when you're hallucinating, but nevermind. 3mg of risp will totally negate that. I can't take more than 200mgs seroquel without it starting to block a Dexedrine dose equivalent to 4x that. Stimulants and APs counteract each other. Those of us who need both have a hard time. I've taken them for anxiety disorders which I can put up with Unfortunately you're taking APs for psychosis so you really don't get to chose if you want to stay out of the hospital. You might get a little bit of benifit, but not a lot.

Loon-A-TIK:

Don't know if you'll read this before starting. If you get the generic Adderall, you can break it up in quarters and take 2.5mg at a time. Would suggest taking 2.5, waiting a couple of hours, then if you don't feel much, another 2.5, and so on. I started with only 5 and it felt pretty strong on the first day. I think I would have been running around on the ceiling on the first day if I took 10mg, tho now I'm pretty comfortable with 15 or so at a time. Lots of muscle tension, maybe extra blood pressure and so on that wouldn't happen so much if worked up to slowly.

Responses vary, so we don't really know how you'll react. Maybe you'll need 25, tho I doubt you will at first. But, at first, better too little than too much.

Archived