Thinking Good Thoughts

I have been trying to come up with mental techniques to help with my panic/anxiety/phobias. I know this is an individual thing, but was wondering what phrases, memories, visualizations help you? Maybe we could give each other ideas. I seem to remember something like this coming up in the past but it can't hurt to start a new one.

Something else that has been helping me, since I have multiple phobias, is making a list of what I'm NOT afraid of. I know it sounds cheesy, but when I start beating myself up over being afraid so often or of so much, I think of my list. It sort of puts things in perspective.

Granted, these things don't help me during a full blown panic attack, but sometimes it can help turn a minor situation around, and since I can't take meds for this right now, every little bit helps, know what I mean?

Visuals/memories that help me-

- my kids playing

- sunbathing (especially if it is warm enough that I can really get into it! lol)

- an empty, straight road. Sounds weird, but the idea is that there is nothing to impede me from moving forward except me.

- the sign of the cross- or rather, praying it. Not quite a visualization, but in a way, yes. I visualize my fear being taken by God.

- being held by my spouse

Phrases that help (still working on this one, usually my mind goes blank and good intentions don't help me much LOL)

Things I'm not afraid of-

washable crayons

blankets

kittens

pink bunnies

Please add your own ;)

there is the eastern belief about the chakras, or the energy centers in your body. i do meditations on my chakras and "balancing" them. i meditate a lot.

if i don't have time for that, i imagine myself cloaked in white light. i imagine that bad things cannot come through the white light. it is positive energy that is invinsible.

i say positive mantras/affirmations, such as 'my world is safe and full of positive energy'.

I place myself back in those times too of overwhelming happiness, where nothing could of came between me and what was just there, that moment;

Walking down the aisle of the Church and seeing your husband to be looking at you with eyes so full of love and pride, your eyes so locked, no one else was in that church just the two of you, and you felt it, that higherpower over all.

Giving birth to your child, pushing at the times you hear the doctor saying so, and your husband gripping your hand so tightly, but they are so far in the distance, It is just you and your baby, you working not even feeling, the pain, oh hell it is there but nothing stands between you and that baby.

Then your babies head peaks out your tears flow, you want that baby so in your arms. Oh the clock stand still till Mother and Child are united and you hear all is fine.

You look down and fall in love, and promise you will never allow harm to come their way.

Every single moment of watching your children play, run in the ocean waves, watch the water tickle their toes, scrunch up their noses, squinch thier eyes from the sun, all pictured memorized with the scent of the salt air, the sound of the waves, the seagulls flying , the feeling of the suns warmth, burn.

All of these let me know how much I have lived, how much I have, how many promises I made.

They make me feel strong, and not alone.

Also, much I still have to do.

Aly

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good topic.

If my brain is frying with anxiety, I don't really know what to do.

I just put up a yellow sticky I found in my random papers, it says

tender loving care

and it makes me think of me getting that from the universe, from an idealized mom,

and it makes me think of giving that to someone else, and giving it to me, that I deserve that.

"Loving yourself means accepting yourself especially when you are not accepting yourself."

That one is for when I beat myself up for having anxiety or problems or just bad head stuff.

I really don't have much to offer in this area but am really glad others posted about this....

I am not afraid of the very very gentle yoga class I went to yesterday. I had monkey mind, lizard brain anxiety a few times...

funny I have images for the yukky stuff

With my yukky brain right now I wish I had an image/visual that would help...

Luli

I love rain so I'll think hard about the sound of rain and thunderstorms

The sound of a child giggling

english gardens

waterfalls

snuggling under blankets

the wind moving through trees(thats sort of hypnotic for me)

I think those are the top ones

lilie

This can take some doing, but it helps with my anxiety.

If I have a bad thought, say my bf getting in to a car crash, which causes anxiety for me, when I catch my thoughts, I will rethink it. Like instead of having the thought end in a car accident, I see him coming home safe instead.

Like I said, it can take some work, but once you get the hang of it, it can really help with the anxiety associated with thoughts.

• 1 month later...

i check with each of my senses. it helps ground me. the first thing i do when i panic or get stressed is to dissociate so i have to ground. i actually just try to find something around me with each sense :)

slow deep breaths always helps me, too.

and i have a saying that always makes me feel calm and contented... "if you are falling, you will always be caught, even if it's by the ground at 100 mph". i don't know why i find that calming, but i do. it makes me feel like i'm not going to be in limbo forever ;)

abifae

and i have a saying that always makes me feel calm and contented... "if you are falling, you will always be caught, even if it's by the ground at 100 mph". i don't know why i find that calming, but i do. it makes me feel like i'm not going to be in limbo forever tongue.gif

I love it! ;)

Archived