Therapy

I quit therapy a few months ago and started again with a new therapist a week ago. I left therapy b/c a few days before the session, I couldn't sleep and got VERY agitated. But I couldn't deal with the intense anger I feel so I started again. This time around though it is causing even more stress than before and I'm not handling it very well. Other than the intense anger issue I do well w/o therapy.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with the anger w/o therapy? Funny part is, I have no clue why I am so angry! Beyond

Okay, so you're saying that you've quit therapy because it makes you angry (or more prone to anger later) for reasons beyond your comprehension. I just want to make sure I understand what you're saying. What were you in therapy for initially? Was therapy able to help at all with that before anger became an issue?

I sometimes get angry unexpectedly, usually when I'm agitated and depressed, hypomanic, or when I'm unconsciously pushing an issue out of my conscious mind. The best solutions I've figured out so far have been to breathe deeply, leave the situation if I can, and try figure out what the hell else might be going on. Anger doesn't usually come from nowhere. It tends to spring out of some hidden place. Figure out what that is and try to address the issue(s).

I get very upset with people who challenge me or make me feel threatened (usually through criticism) -- two things therapists often do. I think I need therapy anyway. Now to figure out how to benefit from it....

It wasn't the therapy that made me angry, but it's the agitation and intenseness of the feelings I have PRIOR to my session that I can't handle .I went back to therapy b/c I wanted to deal with the anger that I feel that has nothing to do with therpy itself. I have an eating disorder and prior to my session the ED gets out of control. Therapy comeas and goes I'm fine again until right before session time.

I also am Borderline. Beyond

This is Just A Guess. But here goes.

Perhaps you felt like you werent getting very much out of therapy. Therefore it became an issue right before a session.

As for the issue of the anger. I have a low grade always angry thing going on too. I am also borderline. Mine tends to flare up when I feel im pushed into a corner. Dealing with it on your own may prove daunting. Do you feel if you try to explore the reasons for your anger in therapy you might lose control and become embarrased?

Being a borderline, you probably suffered through some yucky abuse. Maybe all three types of abuse.

I have a book that I can recommend to you. Its a collaboration with HH the Dalai Lama. Its called Destrctive Emotions How can we over come them? It talks about dealing with feelings of anger and stuff along that line.

i think you might be getting freaked out about your therapy sessions because you know they're going to bring up uncomfortable feelings for you, and you don't really want to handle/deal with those feelings. i think that's why your ED gets worse- you're trying to control the situation. in therapy you may feel vunerable and like you have no control.

Archived