Did Owens Try To Kill Himself?

"Police Report: Owens Tried to Kill Himself

NFL star rushed to hospital; publicist denies suicide attempt"

you can find this story on www.msn.com

if the police are right and owens did try to commit suicide, then why is the publicist denying it? why is there such a stigma against MI that people can't admit it? i bet that because of his fame and influence that he won't be treated for any MI he should have, because his stay in the nut house would "ruin" his reputation. Screw reputation. why is that on the line in the first place?

He has an opportunity here to help a lot of people fight the MI stigma. This cover-up crap is pissing me off.

And if he DID try to off himself, why wasn't he placed on a 72 hour hold??

If any of us ate a bottle of pills, we would be going home the next day.

i would have liked to have seen him be observed for the time frame that the rest of us would be observed for, just for his own sake, and for his publicist to not have denied it but said something much more neutral about it. there's always the time for coming out about it when you feel better, but outright denying it happened and not getting treatment (inpatient) is kinda wrong. we all would have been kept and observed. i think it sets a bad example for perpetuating stigma, and also for the people out there who may be facing his same feelings. if that makes any sense.

Uhhh..I am not expecting him to don a cape and fly around the world bitch-slapping the insensitive, but last I checked, DENIAL didn't help anyone get better either.

Edited to clarify: From the news reports, it doesn't necessarily seem like Terrel is trying to cover things up, but more likely his aides, hanger's on, and others afraid the gravy train might get derailed

I'd just like to say that it's not necessarily true that if he ate the pills, he'd stay overnight. I had a suicide attempt that I readily admitted was a suicide attempt with a couple dozen ambien and trazodone and I was in and out of the emergency room in a couple of hours, with instructions to call my psychiatrist (whom I hated) in the morning. I never did tell him about that.

If you can believe this, they asked me to walk home. It was early morning- before sunrise. A nurse getting off duty gave me a ride home, because it was only a few blocks, but man...

And I don't know- I find it hard to blame him for trying to downplay it, even if it was a suicide attempt. How many of you would tell NFL sports, "Yeah, I tried to kill myself last week" if they asked and you knew they intended to publish it with your name and picture?

It would be a wonderful, wonderful move for mental illness awareness. But I don't think it's fair to demand representation from TO anymore than it would be to demand it from any of us. You've got to get to a place where you can be that representative willingly- not forced into the spot light after a recent suicide attempt.

I do like (diet) Dr. Pepper, though.

I watched his press conference live this afternoon.

Now, granted many if not most of us are pretty good at putting on a face and fooling those around us. But I just didn't get any feel that he was suicidal. He was animated, lively, clear eyed, answered questions quite well. (frankly he came off better spoken and more intelligent than I expect most athletes are these days). There was just a tad bit of dodging by both him and his female spokesman, but fairly honest.

If I had to guess, I think that he was goofing on the hydrocodone for a buzz, and took a little too much. His female spokesman got scared and called 911.

a.m.

also fwiw, terrell owens publicist reportedly said that owens had "25 million reasons to live" referring to his $25 million dollar contract with the dallas cowboys.

(so obviously there's a lot of hope for everyone out there struggling with depression. and i'm sure TO could lead a valiant MI awareness campaign on how to land a ridiculous overpaid salary and be a bitch for every NFL team he's ever played for)

Archived