Help- my job might be in danger

I have been bad sometimes, depression, medication, you know the drill, being late or not showing up at work.

Now, a job posting has been put up for a job with my job title! And there isn't enough work for 2 of me...so, i think they're planning to backstab me.

To save myself, I'm considering telling HR about the bipolar, thus protecting myself against unjust dismissal....right?

I would really appreciate it if you could provide info or links to the threads discussing the law and policies on this, the protection afforded, documentation needed, etc.

Thanks!

Go ahead, do it, but remember--like VE said, you have to show that you can do the job with accomodations, *AND* also, those accomodations can't be an undue hardship on the employer--i.e., if you are missing work a lot, that would be Bad.

However, lateness could be accomodated for by adjusting your schedule or flex-timing you, for instance. Generally speaking this may be an inconvenience for them but certainly not an undue hardship (depending on the industry, YMMV blahblah boilerplate).

Just don't let it lie, hell, I'm about to pull the ADA card myself, I know my guys can't fire me yet (heh, apparently December is like MAD busy time and it's state gov, can't hire someone in less than 3 months and can't train in less than 2...) but I'm about to pop anyways so... yeah.

Will try to come up with links, as I have been researching this myself, and have been meaning to get deeper (than I can get away with while at work, heh). ;)

Declaring yourself as having an illness will not keep you employed if you aren't able to fullly accomplish your job.

I was only able to buy myself about a months worth of time before I got fired, but this was while I was still melting down and not correctly diagnosed. Although I never specifically told my boss that I was MI, it was apparent, and I was given a lot of leeway and help over about 5 months.

You need to have an idea of what accomodations would allow you to be fully functional in your job. If, in the end, you still aren't able to perform, they can reasonably fire you for poor performance.

I don't mean to be totally negative. Just understand that ADA isn't some shield that guarantees us jobs.

Hopefully, your boss values the good work you have done so far and will work with you to keep your valuable services.

best,

a.m.

i've gone the ADA route and kept it to myself too before. both have had their times of good and bad.

i have no idea, so my word is just an opinion. what i'd do is sit down with your pdoc and figure out what your impairments are and what your needs would be (flex time? opportunity to work 10 hr days 4 days per week if they have it? quieter work space?) and get those in writing, and maybe even a letter from your pdoc explaining that you have a medical condition and you are requesting accomidations. you also have to talk to HR about your list and figure out from there what they can and can't do to help you.

if nothing else, as everyone has said, it will buy you time. and talk to a lawyer for sure! at one job i disclosed because i had to be off for 2 months on mental health leave, and when i came back they fired me, so i've sued them (it has taken over a year to get this far), but i'm pretty sure i'm going to win. it is coming down to the wire.

hopefully, if they do want to can you, it will at least make them think twice.

in the meantime, scout out what jobs could be available. just know what the market is like out there.

Archived