you don't list your meds, but SSRIs helped me A LOT when it came to relaxing and opening up. i felt normal, like i could be myself and not be afraid of everyone/everything. the SSRIs (especially paxil for me) were a godsend.

after i got used to having new expectations for myself and these things were coming moer and more naturally, that was when (not because of this reason but because of my bipolar disorder) my pdoc changed my meds, and took me off paxil. still though, because i no longer expect people to react towards me in a negative way and i've learned to not be afraid of groups, i now have no trouble socially. for me, it took a stint on paxil to release my tension in the social area.

Firstly there is no easy answer to your problem. Remedy may include medication, therapy, relaxation exercises and so on.

I think its important that you manage your expectations too. You suffer from social anxiety and a new environment will be challenging for you. Rest easy in the knowledge that everyone is nervous in a new environment, they just have different ways of reacting to it.

If you find 1 on 1 s better, why not arrange a series of meetings, perhaps over coffee, with each team member in the first week or 2. They only have to be 15 minutes, just enough to get to know each other a little. This can be a very effective tactic - ive seen it done well.

Good luck and I hope it goes well for you.

Chimp

Archived