how bad is it...to talk to them?

As most, I have my own world. With that, I have my own people. Now this doesnt have much to do with my S/A as much as it does my HFA. But here is where the line crosees. I see my people in my head and I talk to them. Now, the line crosees because they talk back. I usually dont do it in public, but i can carry full on conversations with my people. They can make me laugh, in which i do...out loud. They even can make me cry (I cried last when I killed off one of my people). is it okay to do this? am i condoning the people in my head? should i just ignore them like i do the rest of my voices?

i really do like to talk to them and all. it just causes a hell of a lot of distractions. i go into a trance when i talk to my people. what can be done? meds dont stop them.

I will see if I can get AbiFae over here to comment. She is HFA and DID. Not only does she talk to the people in her head, I have met a few of them (Abi and I are friends in RL).

I guess it depends on what they are telling you and how it effects your day to day functioning.

Abi has a system that works well for her. Not sure it if will help you, but getting input from someone who can understand might give you some insight.

As most, I have my own world. With that, I have my own people. Now this doesnt have much to do with my S/A as much as it does my HFA. But here is where the line crosees. I see my people in my head and I talk to them. Now, the line crosees because they talk back. I usually dont do it in public, but i can carry full on conversations with my people. They can make me laugh, in which i do...out loud. They even can make me cry (I cried last when I killed off one of my people). is it okay to do this? am i condoning the people in my head? should i just ignore them like i do the rest of my voices?

i really do like to talk to them and all. it just causes a hell of a lot of distractions. i go into a trance when i talk to my people. what can be done? meds dont stop them.

hiya. as wifezilla mentioned, i'm HFA and DID. everyone has different points where they consider they are crossing lines. ;) so i'm not sure which lines you are crossing or why, but that's okay.

people in my head make me laugh and cry. we joke around and play together in our world inside.

i don't see anything wrong with it. it's hours of entertainment, and we help each other out. i get sick of being at work, someone else can do it for a couple hours.

as far as it being distracting... we have a really healthy balance in my system and good communication, and i still fuzz out half the time when i listen inside, and get distracted from the outside world for a bit. sometimes i can juggle both worlds together, but not all the time. what works best for me is when the other person sits "up front" with me and talks to me and then goes back in, cuz i don't have to concentrate as hard on both worlds.

usually though, i just catch parts of conversatoins and they crack me up. when i go to talk to anyone for a long period of time, where the trance would interfere, i either go inside and someone else comes up, or i make sure i'm somewhere i have a few minutes, preferably at home. i'd say, unless you really need to talk to someone right away, to not do it at work or while driving - so that you aren't distracted where you can get into trouble.

i was trying to explain to someone once the differences in the voices. well, there are the voices that i know are poeple in my head, and i interact with them. why not, they're part of me, we grew up together, and we work well together. then there are the voices that are not in my head, and i have to then figure out if they are from the outside world or from elsewhere. if they are from the outside world, then they are in "reality" so i have to decide what to do about them. if they are from elsewhere, other than my arguement about whether they are hallucinations or whether i hear into different realities so they are real somewhere, i have to decide whether or not to respond.

but the only ones that i consider "real" are those from my inside world. people i care about i integrate into my inner world, so they become real. the outside world just doesn't function the same way and i don't understand it as well (that is more an HFA thing than DID lol).

so it's up to you what you do about people in your head. i figure, if they're in your head, there's a good reason for it. did you ask them to be there? did you need them at one point? are they carrying memories or emotions for you? do you enjoy their company?

we use DID to help us function better with the autism. the extremely autistic littles are kept inside where they are always monitored and cared for, and then we function at a slightly higher level up front when we interact with the outside world. one of many reasons we remain DID.

you're one of the only people i've heard from who has inside voices AND outside voices like i do. that's pretty cool. i thought it was just me.

Twitch, I have had insiders for as long as I can recall. Lately they have started to become more than my imagination could account for. I have been afraid of them for a few years and not wanting to "allow" them to be "real" I have lately discovered that some of them can be my friends and are helpful...I have a couple of nasty ones, but in truth I haven't exactlly been fair to them either. I spent a decade of hard drinking trying to eradicate them and the memories that they carried. Just in the last couple of years i've started having "outside" voices and sounds, and I can't usually tell them from reality, but I'm getting better at it. The meds have helped with the outside noise some, but haven't done a damned thing against the insiders. I am agonizing over the concept of "are they real?" HUH! am I real?????

Quoting Abifae: "then there are the voices that are not in my head, and i have to then figure out if they are from the outside world or from elsewhere. if they are from the outside world, then they are in "reality" so i have to decide what to do about them. if they are from elsewhere, other than my arguement about whether they are hallucinations or whether i hear into different realities so they are real somewhere, i have to decide whether or not to respond. "

I am about in the same place with the out side chatter and related noise...I am doing my best to ignore them, because they are 99% threatening or abusive.

I live in a state that has a really poor mental health system and so far most of the doctors that I've seen are wary of the subject and have told me to ignore the voices. My substance abuse councelor is the most comfortable with the voices thing. He calls them shards and since I have had a very abusive life and don't remember good parts of it, the fact that some of these others hold parts of my life that I don't remember makes me cautious of trying to "kill" them off, even the one that trys to kill me or get me to hurt my (our?) self. I'd guess that"killing" them off would be more self destructive than good, but thats just me.

I am sympathetic to the being distracted problem, sometimes when a lot of them are talking laughing jeering crying yelling etc. I feel like I can't get a word in edge wise and it makes interfacing with the "real" world difficult.

I don't know what is causing the outside noises, they are mostly scary or malevolent. I have been diagnosed with a huge number of things, but so far only tentatively with DDNOS...its hard to get anyone to even discuss the matter with me. Are you in therapy? What are your outside voices like?Are they different people or sounds then your inner crew? Are they creepy or trying to get you to do nasty things to your self/others?

I think that the trance that you are describing is what my therapist calls dissociation, but I'm not sure. I just go away completely and don't remember the time that has passed. I have one "being" that can "cross over"

And has started to step outside my mind and be an outside voice as well sometimes. She can be annoying and persistant, but is mostly sweet. I am unsure if I should ignore her, name her, let her tell me her names or what. She has a limited vocabulary and seems like an older child aged approx 10-12. I confess that I'm lonely and am too wary and afraid to deal with "real" people, so I give in to the insiders want's, even self abusive ones sometimes. On an insistent tug from the little one, I ended up buying a rainbow jump rope and a purple hoola hoop the other day and trying to relearn how to do these things with out maiming my 46 year old body. In truth, ignoring them seems far easier said than done

Are you on any meds? I'm not really med saavy, but I think that this sounds more like a job for therapy. I wish you all the best. And talk to us more. I believe that we all can help each other a great lot since some of us are always going through some of what you are going through.

being autistic causes this world. the line crosses over though, when that world collides with psychosis. or what i thought was psychosis. but is is psychosis? my people though, dont switch me me. its just like a presenc of another person in side my head. like real people. they have their own personalities and their own way of doing things. sometime is i dont even like my people.

thats one problem with my people. they are thre all the time. i can go deeper and talk to them inside myself. tbut they are always on the tip of my mind. i have trouble concentrating, driving, doing homework, everything. i try not to talk to them when in public, or when driving, or when im doing something immportant. but that presence is still there. and they still make me laugh or cry. i'll burst into emotion for no reason when doing an activity.

i know what you mean about differentiating the voices. the inside voices are the ones i interact with. the outside voices are usually scary and causes panic because its hard to tell if its real or not. i usually dont respond to the outside voices. they are usually quick anyway and dont try to interact.

i didnt ask them to be there. but they are my comfort. when i need them, someone, ther there. there my best friends. i need them. they dont hold any memories though, but they do hold shards of myself. they cause a lot of distractions and i sometimes wonder life without them, but i couldnt imagine giving up my people.

Panz, I know w hat you mean too. meds dont change the inside voices, or the people. and sometimes the insiders hold stories of ourselves that can be terrifying to unvbeal if we keep in contact.

No, im not in therapy. my outisede voices are usually of a single male, a group of males or a group of children. the outside voices are completely different from the inner voices. granted, both are poretty mumbled the inner voices are more interctive. the outsides being a bit more "creepy".

im not sure if this is dissociation though. my trances are just like me, inside my head. almost catattonic. i dont necessarily switch into my people but rather my people keep me in place. i just dont knoiw, im very confused.

but you're right. ignoring them is easier said than done. i cant do anything without talking and interacting with my people. my people are me.

im on meds, but the seem to do nothing for this. i was in therapy, about a year ago. but it was cbt and all i felt was like i was talking in circles. thanks guys for your input. its great to hear other people are going through this.

Can you negotiate with them?

"Hey all, I need to drive now so it's very important I not be distracted. Can you hold it down for x-minutes? When we get home we can have a chat, OK?"

Maybe if you acknowledge them they wouldn't feel the need to try to get your attention when its not appropriate. Hell, it works for kids...not sure if it works for other parts of your identity though.

"Hey all, I need to drive now so it's very important I not be distracted. Can you hold it down for x-minutes? When we get home we can have a chat, OK?"

Maybe if you acknowledge them they wouldn't feel the need to try to get your attention when its not appropriate. Hell, it works for kids...not sure if it works for other parts of your identity though.

it mostly works in here... especially with the kids lol. but once we all realized that we all got more if we cooperated, we try really hard to give one another space when they're up front doing something like working.

but, twitch, i'm the same way. even if they are being quiet, they're there. i feel them and know where they are. so it can be distracting even if we are all trying to be polite and let someone work. and the outside voices... they are scary as hell, some of them. i never know if they are really there or not. my bf is good about helping me tell, he doesn't get phased by me "that guy in the bushes with the camera... is he there or not?" and he doesn't mind telling me twenty times a day that the guy in the corner of the bedroom isn't really there, but he is always there when i look.

i don't know how poeple keep these things differentiated so they can function easily!

at work, i often get confused about whether i actually have a customer, or whether they're another hallucination. lol.

abifae

i often get confused about whether i actually have a customer, or whether they're another hallucination.

If it is rude and obnoxious, it is most likely real :)

gee thanks. apparently, you've never talked to my hallucinations before. they are rude and obnoxious too! lol. there really is very little way of telling them apart. sometimes i try taking an order and realize there isn't really anyone there, but sometimes it IS a customer but they aren't ordering yet for some reason. it's very difficult.

;)

if it makes you feel better, i will know i'm hallucinating YOU when you are NOT being a punk.

abifae

Hey, Chimpmaster, help me with something. I think, somewhere a while back, you said that the Seroquel didn't really help much with your hallucinations until you went higher than a normal dose. Do I remember correctly? DD is taking 600 mg. a day - it works well when there is not stress (of course) but she is starting to have more problems again as the semester continues (college) with homework, tests, etc. and then, of course, work. She really needs the work outlet or I'd make her quit - she has made friends there and it's a great social outlet for her (and she has ended up being one of their top employees!). Weight gain has been a problem but that is secondary to the mental health issues. The Seroquel has pretty much controlled the bipolar to the point that I think they are going to ween her off the Trileptal and see how she does with just the antipsychotic and antidepressant. Seriously, there is no symptomology of any disorder (because they still can't quite figure out if SZ is somewhere in there) except the hallucinations but they are, to say the least, a bitch when they get going full force. Anyway, your experience would be appreciated.

Hey, Chimpmaster, help me with something. I think, somewhere a while back, you said that the Seroquel didn't really help much with your hallucinations until you went higher than a normal dose. Do I remember correctly? DD is taking 600 mg. a day - it works well when there is not stress (of course) but she is starting to have more problems again as the semester continues (college) with homework, tests, etc. and then, of course, work. She really needs the work outlet or I'd make her quit - she has made friends there and it's a great social outlet for her (and she has ended up being one of their top employees!). Weight gain has been a problem but that is secondary to the mental health issues. The Seroquel has pretty much controlled the bipolar to the point that I think they are going to ween her off the Trileptal and see how she does with just the antipsychotic and antidepressant. Seriously, there is no symptomology of any disorder (because they still can't quite figure out if SZ is somewhere in there) except the hallucinations but they are, to say the least, a bitch when they get going full force. Anyway, your experience would be appreciated.

Hi DMF. Seroquel didnt do much for me at all until about 900mg. Im on 1200mg now and it is very effective. Only issues are weight gain and sedation. I am prescribed abilify to combat these and synergise with the seroquel.

A higher dose may be more effective but unfortunately there is only one way to test it out. Talk to p-doc about dosage increase or perhaps adding some abilify or risperdal. Risperdal flipped me out but a lot of people swear by it.

I culd try, but they are always there. They can get quiet but rarely on my command. Asking them to be quiet, and giving them that ttention usually starts a fire and Im inside my head as fast as you can blink. (They bring me in.)

In all honesty I find the more attention I pay the worse it gets. Trying to identify the voice or abnormal thought and ignore it works best for me, mostly (on medication that is). Off meds, forget it.

You're right. the more attention the worse it gets. but ignoring isnt easy. even on meds they are constantly there talking and triping into my world through ,y head. god, i dont even know if immaking sense now.

thanks for the advice.

I can relate to the world in side my head the voices . alone can keep me company !!! .. however sometimes i find that when i open my mouth it doesnt feel like its me speakin but its one of my alter ego's and myself gets pushed back into the corner were i have to fight my way back to even breathe and have my own voice again ... so i know whats its like to have a world within a world inside my head ...

I think you could read a million text books on this topic and not come as close to explaining DID as these few posts on Crazyboards. Sure, I will never totally "get it" since I don't have this problem. But this topic helps an average schmuck like me understand.... at least a little.

Thanks everyone for putting yourself out there and sharing your experiences.

I think you could read a million text books on this topic and not come as close to explaining DID as these few posts on Crazyboards. Sure, I will never totally "get it" since I don't have this problem. But this topic helps an average schmuck like me understand.... at least a little.

Thanks everyone for putting yourself out there and sharing your experiences.

*grins* i've read so many books written by "sane" people about DID and they have no freaking clue what they are talking about. i much prefer these posts, too.

besides, you might be an average schmuck, but you are an average schmuck who doesn't bat an eye when my littles come out and have to go potty two minutes after we leave the food court lol.

abifae

• 2 months later...

like you i hear voices everywhere from everybody and i live with them, i listen , i reply sometimes in words sometimes in actions, life is much more fun. When i'm alone i also distinguish(sort out) whom's voice it is, but once i reallised it's a bit difficult to believe in a voice of a deeply sleeping person or dead person but they keep coming, so i started thinking it could be god related,it can be god talking to us in others voices, it was the only plausible explanation to me, what i know is, helping others in need helps you feel better inclusevly it can be vicious, sometimes i do some charyti and when and after i've done it , it urges to me to do more and more, then i read that althought god is for sure glad with you, making donations to charity or helping financly a poor one discharges dopamine in to your body,and that makes you feel really good and with a good mood too. i couldn't get rid of the voices with medicines or drugs so i gave up, and they are part of my world now. if you have nothing to do and have a bit of money you can dispend, don't save it, give to others in need or to the church, god is here, christ too, and any other god or angel that you dedicate too,what we hear is a god related thing, think about it, do something about it, unfortunatly don't go too far cause the comunication with voices starts increasing,none of us wants that, but if death exists and god exists at least i try to do something,even that is not much, but something in the good direction, it makes me feel real well.

Archived