Rough Appointment with New Pdoc

lemonflavor

She's somewhat negative, but that doesn't mean she isn't a good doctor. She didn't like the high dose of Ativan I'm on at all which is kind of scary. She will not prescribe it that high. She didn't believe some of the things I said, like when I told her .25 of Risperdal made me very hypomanic. She didn't think that small of a dose could do that. A few other things she thought "weren't right". I knew my previous doc didn't believe some of what I said but she's more in the open about it.

She's very opinionated but maybe that's a good thing. I don't know what to think. I feel discouraged but think I should give her a chance. She could be very good. She's definitely not encouraging.

She's going to get my previous doc's medical records and have more of an assessment of me next time. He didn't believe some of what I said also so they'll probably gang up on me.

Should I confront her about how I feel next appointment? This triggered a deeper depression for me and I'm not doing well.

i'd gently bring up that you feel she might not believe you and some of the symptoms you've had on certain meds, but you know your own body and these are reactions you've had. tell her you have nothing to gain by claiming that .25 Risperdal made you hypo if it didn't. tell her you're just sensitive, or whatever the case may be. she should be more supportive.

maybe if you approach her like that when you have a problem with her, she'll back off of her negativity. some people are just like that i think.

about your ativan- i'd tell her how it helps you and why you use it in the first place. if she still thinks your dose is too high, don't let her cut you down cold turkey, let it be a gradual thing.

about your ativan- i'd tell her how it helps you and why you use it in the first place. if she still thinks your dose is too high, don't let her cut you down cold turkey, let it be a gradual thing.

I told her it's the drug that really helps me. But I can also see that it becomes less effective as time goes on. I've been on 3-5mg and when I take 2mg at once now it hardly does anything. She will let me go down in dose gradually. But I would rather see somebody who isn't so uptight about it. I don't know.

Thanks for the advice about her not believing me. I will try to approach it that way.

I was hoping a female doctor would be more understanding and sensitive. NOT.

if your gut says she's not a good match, or you plain don't like her or her style, don't stay wtih her. you're the customer. you also need to believe in your pdoc. if you believe that the current dose you're getting is right and it is wrong to decrease it, then you have a conflict with her right there.

RANT

what i don't get is why don't pdocs recognize that we're adults and let us determine what risks we're willing to take in terms of our benzo intake? i can understand if you're constantly wanting increases, but 3-5mg isn't all that much for a day. it is probably comparable to my klonopin (which i feel like i need to take right now!).

i used to take care of my grandma when she was alive, before she got too bad and we had to put her in a home (i'm 28 btw and i was 22 at the time). she used to take 8 mg ativan a day! when i'd give her a dose, it took about 10 minutes or so, but then she was calm and collected, and was even more reasonable and remembered better. it was amazing.

as long as you're not a junkie, i don't see why she has a problem.

Archived