when you know you should see the doctor

Yeah I should probably shell out (who knows how much for my uninsured ass) to go see my pdoc b/c I'm on the max dose of Lexapro and the depression is returning. I just know he's going to be like why don't we add Wellbutrin? Or why don't we switch to WB? He seems to be really gung ho on me switching to WB, even when I was doing well on Lexapro, because of the sexual side effects of Lex.

I just don't want to go because, frankly, I have Wellbutrin samples up the yin yang and can do it myself. I will be really irritated if I travel 30 miles to see him and he starts talking about Wellbutrin.

OTOH, I don't want to acquire a rep as patient who messes with her meds without dr's permission. Honestly, though, he basically told me that I can do whatever I want with Lex and Wellbutrin. Like he trusts me to adjust my own meds. Weird.

What should I do? I should add that I've only been depressed for a week, but I can tell that it is real depression, if you know what I mean. And I'm hoping to move real soon so a drastic swich might not be the best idea.

Oh, by what should I do I meant should I go to the doctor or not. Oh yeah, the other weird thing is--you can't leave a private message for the doctor--no voice mail/ answering machine. What is that all about?

While I'm whining, I'll just go off on a semi-random tangent--I just have a bad feeling that what happened to my mom is going to happen to me. Because my mom responded reasonably well to antidepressants, she continued on them for seven years and continued to suffer until she was diagnosed as bipolar and put on mood stabilizers. I'm not saying that I know that I am bipolar, just that I am going to be pissed if history repeats itself. My pdocs haven't taken the possibility seriously.

Whine part 3: What the hell? How can someone slide down into the pit so fast? Stress fallout? (I just got married last weekend.) Watch, I'll make an appointment with the pdoc, then I'll cancel it right beforehand because I feel better, then right after I'll get depressed again and kick myself for cancelling. Happens all the time.

Do yourself AND your husband a favor and get on a regular schedule with your pdoc. PLEASE!!!!

I don't want you to end up with a stressed out husband several years down the road and you still a mess.

Sure, my hubby and I have made it almost 20 years, but the odds are against you. And there have been times when I have thrown up my hands and said "THAT'S IT! I can't take being married to a crazy person anymore!!!" even while I still loved him to pieces.

Please please please go to the doctor. And keep regular appointments....even if it is only every other month when you are feeling better.

Um...your doc doesn't have an answering service or anything so you can get in touch with him after hours?

That would bother me.

I guess it's ok that ya'll agreed about the WB, but I'm concerned about after that. What if the WB doesnt' work, would he just call you in something else? I don't think it's in your best interest to have a doc that lets you mess around with meds on your own without a visit. I personally would consider shopping around for another doc. Are there any other ones available to you?

I agree with Wifezilla on this one, you need consistent appts. At the very least until you are stable. Not having insurance sucks, but it's worth it to get you the help you need.

Croix

Don't worry wifezilla, I was only not seeing him after my last appointment in May because we both agreed that I was doing fine. I wouldn't say I'm a "mess" either--yet. But yes, I agree that I should probably see the doctor on a more consistent basis. Only problem is--I'm moving in two weeks. But I'm looking for new doctors. This is what makes the whole thing so difficult. It's a really inconvenient time for me to start getting depressed. Eek!

But overall, I think I am still taking good care of myself. No t- or p- for the past few months, but I've been stable up till just now and they didn't seem to think it was a problem.

It's probably a bad time to mess around with meds anyway. I talked to my t today on the phone and it perked me up. I think it's time to make an appointment!

when you get a new pdoc and get evaluated and all that, ask that person how often you should come in to check in, and i'd really get a pdoc with a number you can call, especially if you're a patient who only comes in every other month or something.

i'd see the tdoc in any case! you've had a lot going on, like a wedding, and need to talk about it. that alone may help you through until you find a new pdoc. you may want to know also if your tdoc is available to talk on the phone in case of an emergency. i'd try to just have some kind of back-up plan.

i wouldn't try the WB on your own. i'd wait to find a new pdoc to answer that question. (i personally always change my own meds and always get in trouble for it, so don't do it! lol).

even doing "fine", people with psychiatric disorders need access to someone they can call in an emergency, and the ability to get a quick appointment should symptoms come back, and regular bi-monthly appointments (or every three months if you're really stable) to check in. consistent psych treatment is key to maintaining wellness. you'll just relapse without it.

Let's see. You just spent a lot of time tearing your hair and planning your wedding. Then, you got married last week. Next week, you're moving. Could you do anything more to increase your stress? Go broke? Start a new job? (Oh, that's coming, isn't it? Or else I misremember.) That's a lot of stuff to worry about, so it's not surprising if you feel down. Please don't let your low mood discourage you about your marriage, it's probably just a result of all the stress. So maybe if you work on treating it, you'll feel better as your situation stabilizes. I hope you do.

LDO

who's broke and starting a new job

Good luck LDO!

Loon, thankfully I can call my tdoc anytime. She's awesome! I hope I can find someone as good as her in my new place. I wonder why my doctors didn't want me to "check in" or anything? Sometimes I think my doctors are holding out hope that I will outgrow my issues or something--that might play into it.

Archived