Lexapro [escitalopram] pooping out maybe

I think Lexapro is starting to die on me, either that or it just isn't strong enough for the kind of stress I'm under. Stress sets off depression in me like nothing else.

Paxil sounds pretty nice and powerful and wonderful, I'm not afraid of the sexual side effects b/c I already have them. Anyone have success switching to another SSRI after Lex died on you? I'm sure hoping I can rotate 'em like tires. Wouldn't that be nice.

i'm the same as you as far as stress setting off depression. i don't think its a sign of 'poop-out' necessarily (in my experience these meds barely worked for me to begin with) but you never know. i really don't think these meds were ever meant to make a significant impact on major depression. i was on lexapro for five months last year and didn't really like the feeling of being on it during any of that period of time. i eventually tapered off, and was off any ssri for about three months.

i'm still on the med go-round, but keep paying my tokens to see if zoloft will work for me. i was on paxil this summer and it just gave me too big a case of the blahs. even my doctor concurred with me, when i called him from out of town and said 20 mg was just making me feel too flat and depressed. he suggested i cut it in half, but that didn't really work for me either, so i just ditched it in favor of zoloft. zoloft, with the slight dopamine reuptake inhibition, makes me feel a little less flat and numb than the other ssris. the only thing that really sucks is that i can't seem to have any caffeine on it. coffee just kind of sets me off . . . kinda rambling about my own story, huh. well i think its worth a shot. paxil should in theory help you deal with the stress more, but my experience with it this summer didn't prove it to be the miracle drug for dealing with stress that i wanted it to be.

Lexapro is my first med. For the first six months or so it was great. After that, it seemed to fizzle a bit, but I also started a job then. Then I quit the job and planned a wedding and got married and now I'm moving, and it fizzled even more. Every bump up in the stress level seems to take its effectiveness down a notch. I've been on it for 16 months.

So I'm thinking maybe I just need something more powerful.

congratulations on the marriage. it sounds like you've accomplished a lot, even with the extra stress in the past year. have you tried taking any kind of benzo in addition to your lexapro to help with the stress? i think that might help you out a little quicker, and help you determine if its just the extra stress that's worsening your depression - or just the lexapro not working for you. i didn't have much success with benzos until my doc prescribed librium (an older benzo) last year, after i had reached an un-medicated state again at the end of the summer, and nothing was seeming to contain my stress and anger. in combination with tramadol (a synthetic painkiller) it worked very well. i've since upgraded to xanax, in the smallest dose, but i still don't use that as much as i should.

i think stress is the biggest killer, and usually precipitates my depression. its hard to get your mind back to square one, once the whole dominos of stress start falling. even though benzos can sometimes cause a little depression, i think its more important to keep the stress contained than worry about any lingering depression. so far i've yet to isolate a perfect strategy for me to keep the stress in check, and in the meantime it makes all my efforts to climb out of my depression that much more futile. i would try a really low dose of a benzo, and see if that helps at all - before you undergo the lengthy and sometimes inconclusive process, of switching to a whole new ssri. not that i don't think paxil might help, but using a benzo to controll stress in the meantime would seem a lot quicker.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Greeny I have tried Wellbutrin as an addition to the Lexapro. Noticable improvements were in the sleep (it helped me to not oversleep) and energy arena. Not sure that it had any positive effect on mood--in fact, it seems to be what started my mood cycling from fine to depressed and back constantly.

Archived