welbutrin action and its connection to smoking

ok, so, whatever the action is of welbutrin that makes some people not want to smoke is, i don't know specifically

but ... if suddenly, being an ex smoker, you start dreaming about smoking, and craving nicotine, could this be an indicator that whatever the welbutrin is acting upon is suddenly off/out of whack?

i know a+b=c doesn't always mean that c-b=a, but, its an intriguing question that has been rolling around in my head so i figured i'd put it out there.

ok, so, whatever the action is of welbutrin that makes some people not want to smoke is, i don't know specifically

IIRC, there's something to do with nicotinic receptors, dopamine reuptake inhibition vs. release,

temporal lobe stuff too. Maybe one of the serious neurochem wonks could look it all up and translate

into something resembling English.

"It's a kind of magic"

but ... if suddenly, being an ex smoker, you start dreaming about smoking, and craving nicotine, could this be an indicator that whatever the welbutrin is acting upon is suddenly off/out of whack?

Extended-release or standard/generic/instant?

It could be that the individual dose is wearing off sooner or with a sharper half-life curve than before,

and your brain has figured out "I know where THAT feeling came from before! Ciggies! Gimme!"

If it doesn't interfere with your sleep, maybe taking it a little later might help out.

ah, but see, here's the rub.

I cant take welbutrin, even in low doses, it makes me all giddy, drunk like. I walk around feeling like Towely going "ya wanna get hiiiiiiigh?"

so its the specific action wrought by the welbutrin i am interested in, and it's natural state in the brain, and if having welbutrin acting on the brain tweaks you to not want the smoke, what is going on up in there if you suddenly, randomly DO want to smoke. the actions and receptors and lobes are all still there and soaking in their various chemicals whether the welbutrin and/or the nicotine is too.

ok i think i just confused myself.

i swear there is a coherent sentance sentence trying to form on the tips of my tongue fingers.

Well, Wellbutrin doesn't always make you not want to smoke. I smoked the entire time I took Wellbutrin- and although I did smoke less than a lot of smokers, I didn't usually feel like I didn't want to smoke, if that makes sense.

I think that they're too far removed from one and other- there's probably no wellbutrin connection.

But I've gone through periods that I quit and I think it's more of an emotional thing- you'll start dreaming about smoking and craving nicotine when there's something in your life that's causing you to revert to that coping mechanism.

I get what you are asking. Yes. I think you could have a dopamine deficiancy that is making you crave nicotine. The body craves weird things during deficiancies to try and fill the need. My ob/gyn once asked me if I felt the need to eat dirt, pottery, or laundry detergent when I was pregnant. Wha? Apparently some women lacking certain minerals in their diet get the urge to eat pretty strange things. I think wellbutrin works on dopamine and norepinephrine. There are probably other antidepressants that you could try.

BTW, the wb made me feel super-bouncy when I first started. It felt like I did a small line of coke and took a shot jagermeister. Relaxed, confident, yet hyper as hell (and slightly less intelligent). That only lasted a couple of weeks. How long did you use it before you knew it wasn't right for you?

Archived