What Constitutes An "Alcohol Problem"?

sometimes i have just a couple of drinks when i go out or am at home, and sometimes i have none. i don't drink every night, usually once or twice. but when i do drink, it is easy for me to have 3-even 5 sometimes and get myself in messes i'd really rather not get into.

last wednesday with the cab incident was one of them. had i been mroe sober, i could have dealt with it faster and better, instead of waiting so long and being so confused about being stood up by my cab.

what is an alcohol problem? when is drinking overboard? when is it fun and when does it cross the line?

btw- i know i'm not supposed to be drinking on my meds, so i do generally keep it to 1-2. if i'm drinking more than 1 i call a cab (and got stood up, lol).

loon

well i think the only one who'd really know if you're out of control is you. aside from the partying aspect of drinking do you ever feel like you NEED to drink (for example if I could just have one rum and coke I'd be fine. I could calm down.) being confused and waiting for a cab can be a dangerous combo I don't know what city you're in but sometimes bad cabbies recognize their more drunk fares take them to secluded places, rape them and dump them. be very careful. and if you're only drinking two drinks and getting that disoriented then I'd say no more drinks for you. If you feel weird and still want to drink then maybe you're headed in that direction. one doesn't have to drink every single day to be an alcoholic. but it's good that you're thinking it through.

lilie

i'm an innocent over here, i never knew that cabs sometimes stand people up, and i also never knew they were dangerous!

i'm uneducated in the underbelly ways of the world.

when i go out in the future i won't drink at all. i actually do go out often and don't drink, so i know i can be around alcohol and not have any.

i think knowing it is getting me into trouble and not letting that happen anymore is the important part. thanks for the warning about cab drivers. i always thought they were the good guys.

but when i do drink, it is easy for me to have 3-even 5 sometimes and get myself in messes i'd really rather not get into.

I think there's a tipping point here. If more than one or two drinks increases the liklihood of your getting into messes or dangerous situations, then it's a problem. If you can go out and limit yourself to one or two drinks with something non-alcoholic in between, fine. If not, well, it's probably best not to even start with that one or two.

I've had to put limits on myself, too. One or two is fine. More is BAD. Drunk, sick, hungover, depressed.

Greeny

i've decided to not drink at all if i'm going out (this isn't a problem, i did it while i was on topamax), and only to have 1-2 if i'm either at home or at either of the restaurants next door to me.

i can't go getting into these situations. if a more moderate approach doesn't work, then i'll join a non-religion based type of group. with a history of alcoholism in my family, i don't want to go near what could become a much larger problem.

• 2 weeks later...

The cab incident is scary! I"m innocent like you and never suspected any such thing. Thank goodness you got through that okay.

It's a hard line to walk. On one hand, what is the point of one or two? On the other hand, why go on to 5 or 6? There has got to be some kind of middle ground, and I think all of us that want to and can do it can find that ground.

The place where you start doing stupid things is your limit. Stay below that limit. Keep things like how much you've eaten and slept in mind. Keep your emotional state in mind, that's a biggie.

I hope you are able to find a happy medium. I"m still trying myself.

thanks waterfall- i'm fine with up to 3-4 in a 2 hour period. after that forget it- i'm drunk and doing stupid things. i had 5 (or was it 6?) the night of the cab incident.

3 has got to be my limit when i'm going somewhere, with friends who won't let me do stupid things, and i'm not driving. if i'm at a next door restaurant the i can have 3 still, they're just next door

Loon - do you think your potential problem might be connected with being Bipolar (and similar DXs)? I personally find that alcohol aggravates my high symptoms. It doesn't take much to get me drunk either.

Sorry of you have discussed this elsewhere and I've missed it.

boz-pot-

my tdoc and i have actually discussed that. we think that it is the periods where i am drinking a lot that are a sign of a mania. now, we don't know if it is the wild behavior that causes it or is a symptom of it.

i am sure, though, that it heralds worse things than just being a drunk. if i do it continuously it is a sign of a real mood disturbance.

Archived