hiya-

i read on a drug interaction page that valerian is not to be used with anti-anxiety meds (my klonopin), anti-convulsants (lamictal), and antidepressants (wellbutrin).

are they just saying this, or will i die if i take valerian? will it just make me tired, or have severe CNS effects? i'd like to be able to sleep better and rozerem+klonopin just doesn't work. i have a friend who has used valerian (without all my psych meds of course) and really likes it.

do any of you know more about it, or is this trustworthy info to your knowledge?

hiya-

i read on a drug interaction page that valerian is not to be used with anti-anxiety meds (my klonopin), anti-convulsants (lamictal), and antidepressants (wellbutrin).

are they just saying this, or will i die if i take valerian? will it just make me tired, or have severe CNS effects? i'd like to be able to sleep better and rozerem+klonopin just doesn't work. i have a friend who has used valerian (without all my psych meds of course) and really likes it.

Herbmed.org link to studies of Valerian oficinalis: A too-quick scan of the abstracts indicates it may act at GABA receptors like

a benzo might, and there's a potential for liver enzyme inhibition (which would depend on the exact

isoenzymes inhibited).

1. It might potentiate the klonopin.

2. The liver enzyme interaction would be the thing to look for with the others.

As a wonky side-effect, WB is kind of possessive. You might get a whiff of the valerian and instantly

decide it is not EVER going into your mouth.

herpie, Penny, or HerrFOUS could translate the stuff I linked to better than I.

As a wonky side-effect, WB is kind of possessive. You might get a whiff of the valerian and instantly

rofl. i could easily and happily get addicted to valium.. i stick to valerian just because it tastes so BAD that i think i can avoid addiction.

anyway, valerian root is the basis for valium, so i suppose that is why it can have weird interactions. you don't want to mix a strong sedative with most meds. i'd be pretty careful with it anyway - take it when you don't have to go anywhere in case you get easily doped up by it.

abifae

so it tastes like crap and i probably won't want to have any because of WB? sounds like it probably already ruled itself out! it is too bad that these herbals interact with our meds so much.

If you read the side-effects and warnings list right, it seems that WB can do goofy things in the temporal lobe. So, if something

doesn't taste or smell or feel right, you just might learn what the term "aversion" really means. Smell it before you buy it -

it won't do any good if it turns out that you cannot stand it in the house.

Pharmacologyonline 2:200-205 (2006). A review of herbal interactions found that valerian extract weakly inhibits

CYP3A4, CYP2D6, and CYP2D19. In human volunteers no effect was seen on CYP3A4, CYP2D6. So, you could

probably take it with WB on that basis.

But yeah, the stuff smells AWFUL. Dispose of unwanted capsules down the toilet.

I've not tried the tea, but... well it can't be worse than wormwood, or lobelia.

I've not tried the tea, but... well it can't be worse than wormwood, or lobelia.

i rather LIKE wormwood. lobelia is kina ick. but valerian... omigod!! it makes wormwood taste sweet and light.

however, it really does calm panic attacks and on really bad days, i'll just make some anyway - with all my sweet herbs and lots of honey. and then i do feel better!

abifae

i vaguely remember taking it in capsules when i was only on paxil and lithium, and it gave me GI issues. maybe just less of it?

i'll give it a go and see if i develop any unwanted reactions or hate the stuff so much i can't stand it.

i vaguely remember taking it in capsules when i was only on paxil and lithium, and it gave me GI issues. maybe just less of it?

i'll give it a go and see if i develop any unwanted reactions or hate the stuff so much i can't stand it.

i've never taken so much it upset my stomach (other than taste lol, once it was down i was fine)... so maybe less would be better! i usually do a teaspoon steeped for five minutes, then remove it and add things like chamomile and passion flower and steap those for ten minutes, then add honey.

lemme know how it works!

abifae

hiya-

Herbmed.org link to studies of Valerian oficinalis: A too-quick scan of the abstracts indicates it may act at GABA receptors like

a benzo might, and there's a potential for liver enzyme inhibition (which would depend on the exact

isoenzymes inhibited).

1. It might potentiate the klonopin.

2. The liver enzyme interaction would be the thing to look for with the others.

herpie, Penny, or HerrFOUS could translate the stuff I linked to better than I.

by FOUS, do you mean Full Of Useful Information? ;)

Abifae- as soon as i go to the natural store next (and i usually go every week), i'll pick up that stuff and give it a try. i won't take any klonopin that day so i shouldn't be overly drugged up. let's see how it goes!

Abifae- as soon as i go to the natural store next (and i usually go every week), i'll pick up that stuff and give it a try. i won't take any klonopin that day so i shouldn't be overly drugged up. let's see how it goes!

cool! let me know how it works ;)

honestly, i'd just like to have valium around. it is the only medication i've ever had that worked consistently and correctly for me. i don't really need much else. maybe muscle relaxers, but if i had valium, i wouldn't be so damned tense.

sighs.

maybe some day!

abifae

Archived