CrazyBoards.org

Lexapro to Celexa

Guest PinkToo2grrl

Guest PinkToo2grrl

Used to take Celexa, switched over to Lexapro, because Celexa didn't seem to be doing enough, but I seem to be having all sorts of issues on Lexapro that I didn't on Celexa (loss of libido, weight gain, blahs, etc.) and lowering the dose of Lexapro does not treat my symptoms adequately.  I've been on lexapro about a year now. 

Life seemed much better on Celexa, and I am wondering if going back isn't the answer, but if Lexapro is high-test Celexa, it seems -- theoreticaly at least -- to make little sense to go back.  And yet, since this game of meds is so seemingly random at times, and highly individualistic, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of going back to celexa after being on lexapro? 

Does/can taking lexapro, develop an immunity to the effectiveness of celexa?

Any info helpful as I ponder.

• 1 month later...
Guest luli2545

Hi,

A drug rep was explaining the differences between celexa and lexapro....something to do with the histamine type molecule that was removed from one or the other...I think it was the celexa lady touting celexa. Vaguely recall something about the drug being touted as not having the sedative effect, due to removal of some molecule. And also that ... one of them, or maybe both of them, are straight seratonin impacters...so no norep. or dopamine... I'm not much of a chemist but the two things that struck me were, good, the drug makers can eliminate the sedative part of one of these ad's. And also, which you all may know a lot about and I do not, that some of the ad's are aimed at just seratonin and not some other chemicals in our brains. Maybe a smart reader of this post could have a line on the diff. btw celexa and lexapro vis a vis sedation & weight gain.

The pdocs seem to say that going on and off a med, for several months, can reduce the efficacy of the med. I know a guy who has MDD with psychotic features, zoloft (plus some haldol) got the guy through his computer training 2 yr course pretty well. In the middle of his 3rd year he bombed, took a different SSRI, did well on it for 2 years, then when his folks died his pdoc put him BACK on the zoloft...which is working fine for him now in his second year of his second time using zoloft. I hadn't known that a longer break on a med would maybe make it ok when a person went back on it.

Anyhow, best best wishes for whatever you decide about.

Sending hugs,

Luli

When I first heard about Lexapro I was excited about it.  I was on Celexa at the time and I had read that Lexapro was a refined version of Celexa.  I learned that Lexapro worked much quicker and that it had fewer side effects.  Forrest Pharmaceuticals had taken away the R-citalopram in Celexa which was believed to have contributed little to efficacy and was responsible for side effects.  I did not do well on Lexapro.  I felt pretty jumpy and became hypomanic.  I missed the small amount of sedation I got from Celexa.  I went back to Celexa pretty quickly and I am happy with it.  My pdoc said she has a small group of patients like me who are better off on Celexa.

Katie ;)

Archived