dont take this the wrong way

no biggie ... but ...

so when you go, view new posts, and you see all there is to see, and you want to make all those posts as read, but springer posts aren't in that list, but when you mark all forums as read ... it marks the springers as read too.

<blink>

yes yes, i know, i could go to the springerboard first, and then i wouldnt have this problem, but ... since the srpinger threads dont come up on the view new posts search ....

it would be reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally wonderful if they werent marked read there either.

world won't end ... either way, or rather

the world WILL end either way .. but

anway ...

in a perfect world, this would be a nice thing.

ok, as you were.

huh? why would i do that? isn't this where i am supposed to post stuff like this?

Don't know *shrug*** I just thought if you pm'd them they could help you better one on one and faster.

seems to work for me.

Like I said. I don't know *shurg*

I hope you get what you are looking for ;)

huh? why would i do that? isn't this where i am supposed to post stuff like this?

Don't know *shrug*** I just thought if you pm'd them they could help you better one on one and faster.

seems to work for me.

I don't think it is wrong for Pinky to ask this question on the boards since there may be other people having the same question/problem. I hate bugging the mods so it has to be a huge problem before I pm any of them. They have enough to do, imo.

Considering Pinky is asking about the abilities and limitations of the board software itself, posting here seems wholly appropriate. VE is in charge of the tech side of things right now (so far as I know), but this hasn't always been the case. Posting here ensures that everyone who might be able to help, particularly those with tech admin access, knows what's going on.

You're always welcome to PM the mods, especially with personal questions or concerns. This kind of technical question is just likely to be better-answered if it's posted here. That is, after all, what this section of the board is for.

Sorry. Nothing I can do.

My eventual goal is to find a different software solution for springer. Most LAMP based message board software running on an average server just isn't designed to take the load of threads longer than a couple hundred posts.

Right now we're using 15% of our disk space and bandwidth but I'm having to nursemaid the database daily to prevent memory problems. If it wasn't for springer, we could easily host five sites with our present resorces. It's an abuse of the medium and it makes me crazy and you have no idea how much easier my life would be if it were gone.

Ok. Sorry. Carry on.

Okay, here's a question. Would it help with the problem if the long threads (and I know I'm an abuser here) just went bye-bye? I don't care about keeping mine: I don't get the whole possesiveness thing. So if the long threads are using up space, can they just be erased?

Bobby may want to copy parts of it, but from my perspective, just get rid of the whole thing.

This has nothing to do with Pinky's original question, but is a response to VE's comment.

I don't understand this stuff, but are long threads like the Springer ones the reason why it takes so long for pages to load? If we're gumming up the works, maybe we can help by deleting some of it.

olga

is it possible to splain to people who aren't tech's in the professional sense how it is that springer causes such problems?

i'm not denying it does, i'm just curious as to how ...

and while you're at it, why is the sky blue? (j/k)

I used to blog on friendster but I REALLY prefer the way the message board allows more interaction between friends (meaning I love the springer threads way more than blogs). The reason I bring up the blog is because after about 20 posts, the old ones would start dropping away.

Some people seem to get 20 posts a day so that might be a little extreme here, but maybe after 10 pages the first page could go away.

I think with springer out of the view new posts results and a cap on the max posts per thread we should be able to hang on until we come up with an alternate software solution.

We are going to have to start pruning older threads with no reference value from all the boards.

Part of the problem is that database tables have to be locked for writing, meaning only one person can save a new post at time. when the post table is small that's a fraction of a second. When it's large and several people are trying to save posts to threads that already have several hundred posts on them, stuff gets backed up and it can end up taking a couple minutes for you to finally get your turn to save your post.

I've been told that there is a postgresSQL driver in the works for IPB which should help a lot, but that's at least a year in the future.

I think I'm following up the wrong thread here.

View new posts is a search just like any other. The most frequently returned search results are cached to make future searches faster. The problem is that when the most frequently returned results are not true full text searches, it slows the full text searches down

To simplify it as best I can given my own limited understanding, repeatedly accessesing large threads cases them to cached to RAM thus causing previously cached index informatoin to be lost or swapped to disk. Add to this the fact that the search index information is usualy full of the results of "view new posts" searches. If you want to do a full text search for a specific topic you're fucked.

Here's an example. This search just took 108 seconds. The person was looking for posts containing the the terms "heart" "speak" and "public". Because of

# Time: 060930  1:18:45
# User@Host: IPB[IPB] @ localhost []
# Query_time: 108 Lock_time: 0 Rows_sent: 4149 Rows_examined: 8573
SELECT p.pid, p.queued, t.approved, t.forum_id
FROM ibf_posts p
LEFT JOIN ibf_topics t ON ( p.topic_id=t.tid )
WHERE t.forum_id IN (3,27,9,92,93,48,60,64,4,5,7,8,87,6,76,10,11,13,14,15,16,17,19,23,24,89,20,21
28,29,30,31,32,44,33,34,35,78,46,40,36,43,37,38,39,42,45,91,47,49,53,54,77,56,58
59,57,22,85,61,63,62,103,65,66,82,25,96,50,51,52,81,83,95)
AND p.queued=0
AND MATCH(post) AGAINST ('+heart speak puclic' IN BOOLEAN MODE);[/code]

When springer threads were in view new posts results, they were effectively filling all caches no matter what.

This is a big problem because the primary mission and function of crazyboards is still medical information and education. If people come here and do searches for that subject matter, it's a problem. This person did this same search five times and had the same problem.

If any mysql gurus out there think I'm off base with the cause of the problem, I love you.

Hey VE:

Could you come out to CA and explain all this computer stuff to me....im very impressed with your abilities - although i have no knowledge of what they mean.

and i hope that person/entity with the 6000 or so thingys from one ISP is no longer causing CB any trouble.

why do people have to be assholes?

ok...onto springer....

december

ok, i think i am coming to a small place of understanding on the dilemma. the tech stuff mostly flies over my head, but i think i get a gist.

crazyboards primary function is medical info

springer due to its HUGE volume clogs up the works

if i recall correctly, i saw something like because of this, your server could handle 15 sites if it weren't for springer, or something.

so

can springer be split off and set up to be affiliated with crazyboards (maybe crazyblogs), and linked to from crazyboards, as well as have its own url?

splitting out the datatbase removes the issue from the crazy boards site no? but the affiliation and format remain, cuz I agree I have tried many a blog and the format doesn't work for me. this springer thing is just like massive group therapy for me. and it is so god damn nice to go somewhere where people get you. get the whole being crazy thing.

this place has saved my mind and maybe my life, more often than one might think.

but i hate for it to be the fly in the ointment yanno? it's bad enough i spend so much time being misunderstood and despised out there because people don't get a dysphoric rage is out of my control, and i really would rather not do it, but ...

anyway, off track.

bottom line: i wouldnt wanna lose this place. but i hate to see springer being such an issue. yanno?

that's my 10 cents.

ok, i think i am coming to a small place of understanding on the dilemma. the tech stuff mostly flies over my head, but i think i get a gist.

crazyboards primary function is medical info

springer due to its HUGE volume clogs up the works

if i recall correctly, i saw something like because of this, your server could handle 15 sites if it weren't for springer, or something.

so

can springer be split off and set up to be affiliated with crazyboards (maybe crazyblogs), and linked to from crazyboards, as well as have its own url?

that's the plan

i've been working on somthing sorta livejournalish where people can create their own sub-communities with varying degress of openess. What you're doing with springer is more in the social networking vein than truely blogging, so that's where I'm going with it. That's what's trendy right now anyway.

I'd made pretty good progress untill we started having security problems and I started having to deal with that full time and then my brain broke and I was sleeping 18 hours a day and topmax makes me stupid and blah blah blah blah blah

i just meant making it two separate sites (total split-two different domain names, just putting a hyperlink from one to the other), but keeping them on the same server.

but if its a pain in the boo-tay, and not really do-able, then never you mind !

my brain is spinning and all this stuff comes splattering out.

i'll be quiet now.

ETA: we were posting at the same time. anyplace to look at the formats you're considering? other sites doing the same kinda thing? i dig the current format, but sometimes change is good. please god give me something to distract myself with so i dont keep bothering these people crazy!

BTW: I hope you are focusing more on the ISH than the live journal. that interface made me just crazy, i could NOT understand the thing to save my life!!

Archived