New Movie

Oh, my god--I just finishd reading that book wchich is an autobiography of a writer. It has got to be the most bizzar, weird, even offensive book I have EVER read. There is NO WAY the movie could be like the book. Yeah, the mom was probably BP, but I thought she was definately schizophrenic, like the rest of the characters, including the shrink--who was crazy as a loon--and pretty much every one else.

If you read it, it is not the light, humorous read you might think from the cover. I rarely found it funny at all, but its like watching a train crash--you just can't look away.

I cannot imagine a movie that even comes close to being accuraete to the book--which may be a very good thing. A bigger collection of nuts, pedophiles, rapists, and general nutcases I have not come across.

Good luck--

china

I must agree with china. I'm not at all wild about Augusten Burroughs' writing. 'Running With Scissors' WAS like a trainwreck that you can't look away from, and 'Dry' (the next book, talking about his alcoholic rehab) was self righteous and annoying. BUT it will be very interesting to see how they go about turning the first book into a movie, so I'll watch out for it.

i've read the book as well.... i have no idea if they can back the movie anything compared to what happens in the book..... sorry, i'm not making sense... it is too early in the morning for me....

and, yeah, agreed -- the book was insane. from what i remember, though, it is far from *about* bipolar. it goes all over...

I've never read the book (and probably won't, judging from the reviews all of you have given it), but there is some chance there could be a movie based on the book that makes some sort of story and sense. Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen was a collection of reflections, basically, which the film version strung together and added to in order to create a cohesive storyline -- and the result was a very good film. From simply reading the book, it seemed unlikely to be movie material. Chances of this happening again -- especially with the type of source material you've described -- are slim, but maybe.

Then again, Girl, Interrupted was "a heap of jewels, unstrung," to swipe Tate's opinion of Shakespeare's original King Lear, whereas it sounds like Running With Scissors is gravel.

• 3 weeks later...

Heya,

I only just saw the trailer on TV today.

I got *no* impression it was anything but the usual icky someone-usually-a-woman-goes-nuts-kills-people movie.

The background you folks give doesn't make me think it's any better. Based on a story isn't always an endorsement.

I'll just watch Aliens again. Or Resident Evil 2, b/c it's fun seeing TO in a movie during SARS.

;)

--ncc--

This sounds like a book I need to read. I love messed up books. I think I'll avoid the movie though, they never do the book justice.

Read "a million little pieces" by jame frey also. Another great one. Sick and twisted books make me feel that much more normal!! (like i said!! haha)

Read "a million little pieces" by jame frey also. Another great one. Sick and twisted books make me feel that much more normal!! (like i said!! haha)

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://video.g...ad=google_video

Based on the trailer I saw on TV, I want to see the movie.

Based on the trailer in the link I posted above, I want to see it even more.

Just because I've fuckin HAD shrinks like that...and I just am that fuckin' twisted and sick.

I honestly think I will thoroughly enjoy this movie.

Read the book. It IS the most bizarre thing I've ever read. No movie could ever come close to this book. It's disturbing. A trainwreck, you all say. YES YES YES.

Don't worry, Maddy. NO shrink compares to this wackjob. We look so uncrazy compared to this book.

Based upon what I'd seen from the trailer, I've had shrinks like that.

That's what I typed.

And I was referring strictly to the medication portion of the trailer.

And that was back when I was on one of my court commits and HAD to take what they gave me!

Oh the fun of forced psych treatment.

I read and liked the book, but like Joolz, the weirder, the more twisted, the better. I also like to read biographies of serial killers. I will definitely see the movie, if any cast can pull it off...the trailers always are good, but was enough of a teaser for me. BP disorders are just one flavor of MI depicted in the book, btw.

S9

Archived