The Big Bag of Everything

On somewhere i read this was cited as an ADD thing - carrying Everything so as to not forget Anything.

I just recently figured out that if i put all the little things from my Big Bag into a smaller thing with a zipper (the one i have is meshy, which means i can see what's in it), stuff like my lip balm and hand lotion and ear plugs and pen and glasses lens cleaning cloth and stuff like that, it's easier to find it all. before, it was a big soupy mess in the bottom of my bag.

i still have to carry a notebook, sunglasses, tissues, multiple pens, the face for the car stereo, sometimes a sketch book (pencils, eraser, sharpener), or other miscellaneous things. for a while i carried incense and a lighter.

sometimes i am the Superhero who helps others in Need, because if they need something, chances are i have it.

yeah. i love my big bag of Everything.

Yep... pretty much sounds like me. The worst is when I travel. I over-pack like you wouldn't believe, though I'm getting better.

One of the best things I ever started doing was creating packing lists. Very detailed packing lists. I've got one for going up to my parents summer home for the weekend list and another for my week-long summer vacation when I rent a cabin on Lake Huron and have to bring everything trip, one for going on ski trips, one for business trips, etc.

The lists let me pack reasonably... I don't end up packing every single thing I own and I don't worry about forgetting stuff.

I like your idea of the little mesh bags of like items. My purse tends to become a jumbled mess, too!

Oh yeah oh yeah oh yeah. I've been meaning to put a "don't forget to put in your purse" list on my front door, so I see it when I go out.

And Sunshine, I've created packing lists too. I need one that details everything, down to exactly what makeup needs to go in the bag. Recently I ended up in Puerto Rico with my mandala coloring book (not used) but and 10 pair of underwear but only 1 pair of pants that fit, no stockings, no sweater or jacket for evenings/cold airplanes...

i bought bins for camping. i made lists. but i haven't connected to action yet.

lists of what not to forget trouble me, because it's inevitably the things that aren't always in my bag of Everything, that i forget. like the checkbook i only need once a week. i'll tote that thing around (not in the meshy bag either) and then it will stay in one bag, i transfer everything to another bag, and then leave the checkbook in an effort to travel 'lighter' and then forget it the one day i need it..

gragh.

packing into a smaller purse on those occasions when i don't wish to carry a bigger bag, can be challenging.

the back/shoulder pain involved with hauling a large number of items around is a concern as well.

i still love the Big Bag of Everything.

But i didn't even start on when i carry my laptop with me..

I have a big bag of everything too. then I get pissed off when I can't find what I am looking for, so I buy a new big bag, thinking for some reason that will make me more organized. but it doesn't. so I have like 10 purses 3 briefcases 7 backpacks and a ton of tote bags. So I dump everything from the old big bag into the new big bag.

My backpack has five compartments.

I use the tiny tiny one for the breath mint tin of emergency meds.

The next largest one holds things like lip balm and (ideally) pens -- stuff I use every single day that's tiny.

The next pocket is larger and holds toothbrush, toothpaste, hair brush, nail clippers, dental floss, deoderant, and pads -- all because I often forget to do one of those things at home and must accomplish the hygenic task on the run. I also keep a stapler, post-it notes, and paper clips in here sometimes, but I keep taking them out to use them and forget to put them back.

The next pocket holds food things: tupperware for the soup kitchen, utensils, Luna bars, almonds, fruit leather. I cannot count the number of times I've left my packed lunch at home, or the Tupperware (I have to clean it daily, don't I?), so food is good.

And finally, the big section holds my laptop and books and power cord and other such crap. Fun fun fun. Except the bottom turns into a big swamp of crumpled papers that got tucked in with my laptop, then lost.

I still forget my chequebook. And my wallet. And my bus pass, when it isn't physically attached to my key ring and hung around my neck. I should start carrying money around in my backpack's depths. And duct tape.

i have a different system, since i carry smaller bags. i put out things that i remember i'll need (usually i have a list or notes sitting around somewhere) either in or by the purse, that way it is there. but i always forget my check book and ID , things you'd think i should have!

like lmnop, i'm always forgetting to do hygene tasks at home (like put on deo, i'm a criminal when it comes to remembering that), so a little one of those has to be in teh bag. when i was a student my bag resembled lmnop's- i had a place for everything in my bottomless bag. soemtimes i'd carry the books in my arms to have room in the bag for all my crap!

now, my mom is the biggest bag offender i've ever seen. she's been DXed BP1 but not ADD, but i kinda can tell she's ADD- her bag is really huge. i call it the suitcase. she needs wheels for it or something. if you need a hearing aid i bet it's in there. toe dividers for that pedicure? no problem. nail polish for that run in your stockings? no problem (wait, she doesn't wear stockings!). her bag is down to an art. nevermind all her meds. she has meds in there she doesn't even take! she has meds she used to take, as if carting them around is useful in any way. it is the suitcase.

b/c of ADD and uh, an event (i was in a subway during the blackout in nyc and had no cash and almost nothing on me).... i leave the house, as my husband and i say "ready for the apocalapse"

though a lot of this stuff gets put in separate bags that live in my car.

when i used to walk/subway to school i had a MASSIVE bag and sometimes also a canvas book bag and my shrink used to say i looked like a bag lady. (and laptop... yeah... my poor back. at one point my subway stop was 3 levels down from the ground (which is like 6 stories?) and oh god, by the top i thought i was going to die.

but hey, if all my meds and bank info and sylabi and books and life are with me... it reduces the chances of me looking like a flake.....

doesn't it?

(hopes)

what about the Big Box of Everything?

i started doing this in junior high and it has just gotten out of control since. it started with feminine hygene products. i just had my stash in my locker. then i added pain relievers, and a sewing kit, and all kinds of stuff...now it is a large box in my hall closet. anything from shower curtain rings to cat hair/lint rollers can be found in my box. i refuse to seperate my things into smaller boxes. even if i have to dig in my box for what i want, it is all there, in one place, and i don't have to wonder where it is. i know it is in the box, somewhere.

I always see the need to carry one of those small wet towels, a portable toothbrush, extra contact lenses, makeup... I'm ready for everything. I never got people who can go out and just bring keys, wallet and cell phone.

On somewhere i read this was cited as an ADD thing - carrying Everything so as to not forget Anything.

I used to do that with my school bag - take every single text and excercise book etc. My mum would always comment and call me things like 'Miss Packhorse 1996'!

I still find it difficult not to overpack now.

what about the Big Box of Everything?

i started doing this in junior high and it has just gotten out of control since. it started with feminine hygene products. i just had my stash in my locker. then i added pain relievers, and a sewing kit, and all kinds of stuff...now it is a large box in my hall closet. anything from shower curtain rings to cat hair/lint rollers can be found in my box. i refuse to seperate my things into smaller boxes. even if i have to dig in my box for what i want, it is all there, in one place, and i don't have to wonder where it is. i know it is in the box, somewhere.

ive got that big box. i alone am a amzed whats in there. i cant even make sense of it now.

big bag? backpack. i hate purses so my backpack has everything from my notebooks, sketch books, lip balm, earplugs, voice recorder, one book, disposable camera, inhaler, emergency meds and a laptop. i actually just clened it out from all the garbage i call "important little items" that i just KNOW i'll need SOME day.

now that i think about it im forgetting something that needs to go into my bag......

I'm the same way, though not ADD (I don't think). I pack everything and bring it all with me. It was worse when I was manic... I carried a backpack, a tote bag, a purse, and up to five shopping bags packed with you-name-it. It's crazy. And yet, I'm never stuck without something I need.

Still wondering if when other people have a reply button it says BP1 or MDD or BPD insteat of "ADD", as it shows up on my computer.

I have a lot of disorganized stuff, but there are islands of relative order. Ferinstance, toolboxes. If I have to solder something, I have a toolbox full of that stuff. Fix the car? Yes, a box for that, tho I have bulky car tools too. Another box for handyman work, and another to leave at home with similar tools for general repairs. The boatbuilding tools are rather dispersed at the moment, I'm afraid. There are several hobby toolboxes, too. Of course the weakness is that things don't jump back into the toolboxes themselves.... On the other hand, those boxes are in stacks with a bunch of other stuff, so don't poke the pile or it might fall on you. And those boxes are heavy. My room is a disaster, too, tho I hope to improve that tomorrow.

As far as packing is concerned, as long as I'm driving my car I just throw everything in a bag that I might need and don't worry if I'm carrying 25 lbs for 36 hours. My overnight bag currently has 10 (thin, tho) books in it. And maybe I'll take a crummy pair of shoes and wear a good pair, just in case, or vice versa. Then there's the bicycle clothing and the bike itself, sometimes.....

I forget things all the time, but somehow there are some areas where I do pretty well, generally pertaining to hobby activities. When I used to scuba dive, I don't think I ever forgot to take something important. But I forgot lunch twice this week, and also my cell phone.

holy crap my bag has grown to the point of being able to carry extra SHOES if I need to. I have stuff in there that I doubt I'll ever use. emergency sewing kit, packaged water from the red cross(in case of emergency) contacts, old glasses that will blur my vision if I wear them-try that on the 101, scissors, one dress, brushes, pens,maps, pencils, a blanket(I know I know)my first aid and emergency wilderness book(I live in LA) keys to cars, storage places, and mailboxes that I no longer own, and paperwork from three years back. sigh..my husband just looks at me and tells me at great length(he's an aspie) how to fix my "packrat problem"

sigh...

lilie

holy crap my bag has grown to the point of being able to carry extra SHOES if I need to. I have stuff in there that I doubt I'll ever use. emergency sewing kit, packaged water from the red cross(in case of emergency) contacts, old glasses that will blur my vision if I wear them-try that on the 101, scissors, one dress, brushes, pens,maps, pencils, a blanket(I know I know)my first aid and emergency wilderness book(I live in LA) keys to cars, storage places, and mailboxes that I no longer own, and paperwork from three years back. sigh..my husband just looks at me and tells me at great length(he's an aspie) how to fix my "packrat problem"

sigh...

lilie

hey, when the "big one" comes i'll be looking for your car.

i keep telling myself i need an emergency kit in the car and in the apartment, but i never get around to doing it.

i do have: a thomas guide, a million CDs, between 2 and 30 empty water bottles, mapquest directions to everywhere i've been since i last washed my car, a box for recipts, a sweatshirt, luna bars, extra cash, a shitload of books, and cat treats (for a cat that hasn't been in the car in well over a year.)

You don't just endlessly cycle between presets until All Things Considered comes on?

thank god i live in a city with more than one NPR. for all of you who don't have morning becomes eclctic i sugesst you check it out online. it's the only radio show i've ever heard play good new music.

(i'm allowed to go off topic, yes? it is the ADD board...)

i solved the pill bottle rattle by buying this little pill thing that looks like a giant blue and white pill. it's just for my lunch rx meds. (vitamins are another story, and i try to be at home for them. otherwise i put them in this tiny japanese mini tupperware thing with a kitty on it.) ... i like my pills to travel in style.

though there's something kinda naughty feeling about taking a dexidrine out of a container that looks like a giant pill.

i solved the pill bottle rattle by buying this little pill thing that looks like a giant blue and white pill. it's just for my lunch rx meds. (vitamins are another story, and i try to be at home for them. otherwise i put them in this tiny japanese mini tupperware thing with a kitty on it.) ... i like my pills to travel in style.

I keep them all in my bookbag. Along with the D&D dice that I hadn't used in 14 years until last week (See? I knew I'd need them

again!) and other stuff. It's probably a bad idea because half that stuff was in the bookbag two bookbags ago in which the

mercury thermometer broke.

And commercial radio is so bad in this area that I memorized the frequency for a high school radio station. It actually

plays music in the morning.

lol oh yeah the water bottles! one good case in the trunk and a whole bunch half filled or almost empty rolling around in the car from goddess knows how long that taste rank if you try to drink one. I have a cd changer it picks the tunes for me. can you actually picture me trying to dig in a cd case looking for tunes while flying down the 405? the presets are a problem for me because I'll keep changing them like every one minute to see if something better has come on in the last 30 seconds.

lilie

I've often thought of having a whole set of "essentials" stashed away in my car. Things ya just can't do without and don't want to make a trip home for when yr out and about.

Lately I always keep a case of can drinks in the back so I never have to be thirsty, some paracetamol, extra pair of high heels, some kind top with sleeves, pair of sunglasses, a comb, a variety of coins, a small amount of money in notes, city road map book, plastic forks, hair ties, pen, a magazine or two, sometimes even some small bottles of wine! Oh and a blanket of course.

To be complete, which I don't do but I should.... a pair of running shoes and socks (so I can go for a walk without going home to get proper shoes), some snacks or instant food (like pouches of flavoured cooked rice) and some plastic cups. Better still, add a toothbrush and toothpaste, and a bottle of deodorant. Why not also add a spare pair of underwear and a change of clothes, nah, maybe too extreme.

Kind of like a portable home or so, lol.

I probably have a few small empty wine bottles rolling around under the seats and some half filled bottles of mineral water that I don't want to throw out in case I need in an emergency.

Haha, this isn't strange is it? What do others keep in their cars?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I had to give up ffinding a actual purse-looking thing that will hold my giant leather DayTimer out of which I live. I have lists of the lists, folks. So being a nurse is perfect for me, cause nurses always carry these great tote bags (Lands End is my friend) and EVERYTHING goes in there, the water, the clear bag that has all the face stuff, the Daytimer, the phone (How many calls have you missed cause you can't find the fucking phone?)

When I go just out, the Daytimer has to be in the car--or where I can put my hand on it, always. IT IS MY LIFE. If I get bored, I just read my lists, and make more.

I used to travel a lot for work--we don't even want to discuss what I had in my "carryon"--I mean, what if they lose my underware?

When I was in nursing school I literally lived in my car, class at 7AM next one at 5PM--you cannot imagine. I did not hang curtains, but did give it some thought.

I almost gave into a info-mercial the other day--this thingy with pockets which will move from bag to bag--and it has a light!!!

I was given the niftiest plastic pill case, so cool, holds everything, with my little Deadbear's head on it.I made the mistake of writing the names of meds on the compartments--dumb,dumb--changed meds, now know where nothing is. Just don't try to take it on the plane!!! No extra shoes, just mostly paper in the tote bag--I am such a list person.PENS AND BLISTEX--worse addiction ever. And newspapers--and coupons, and my grocery list in case I decide I need to add to it.

Does anybody else think that the inventor of the shuffle IPod was HUGELY ADD and has done us ADD'ers the service of the world, cause if it shuffles, I don't have to decide what to play, and its small, and I can have LOTS of music?

I have a tiny car, but well-packed--anyone need an extra flag? Or an ice scraper in Florida? How about my dad's glasses? (He died in 2003) Always have to have a rain parka, and 2 or 3 more botttles of water, and a Weight Watchers book. How about glue so if the dashboard breaks any more I can fix it while driving? And duct tape--and the Chilton's manual. I can't fix it, but I might need to know what I need to get to have it fixed. I am blessed that the CD player has taken a shit--I would have 80 million cd's ratteling around.

Thats how my current pdoc dx'd me--the 1st appt, I handed him this ream of paper with all my symptoms, meds, etc, all typed out, stuffed in my Daytimer in my huge tote bag. He just looked at me, fiddling with my hair, drinking my water, being smart,swinging my legs, and laughed his ass off. I fought him for a year, then just gave in and admitted--

"Hi, I'm China and I am so ADD I can't shit without writing it on 2 calendars and e-mailing someone about it, cause otherwise I would forget to shit."

Boy This topic hits dead center... Well my thread IS "Let Me Check My Bag Of Tricks"! i've been doing this since i was very small, as a Boy Scout my back pack always was 20 lbs heavier than anybody else with my own extra gear ( spare boots, 4 days of clothes for a 2 day trek, a dozen extra D batteries, a bottle of Bacardi 151, ad infinitum...)these days its about situational bags of tricks (tools, hiking, travel by car,going to dialysis, again ad infinitum...)

Ray

Archived