CrazyBoards.org

So my doc just started me on Lamictal. I'm on Topamax and Effexor already, but I guess he's hoping the lamictal will be able to replace them. anyways, so i've only taken the lamictal for one day (12.5mg) and I woke up last night and this morning with a pretty raging headache. Now before you all start tweakin', I've already read thru the CrazyMeds page on lamictal, and I know this is one of the potential side effects. but I guess I'm just wondering if its possible to get them from just one dose, and such a small one at that, even though I know thats how lamictal is usually started. I don't know if this headache is cuz of the med, or just a headache, you know? i don't have THE DEATH RASH or any other side effects my doc seemed so worried about, so I'm a little hesitant to call him, in case he wants to pull it right away. I dunno, thoughts, experiences? I'm just worried i'm worrying about nothing.

- hannah

Guest katiedid

So my doc just started me on Lamictal. I'm on Topamax and Effexor already, but I guess he's hoping the lamictal will be able to replace them. anyways, so i've only taken the lamictal for one day (12.5mg) and I woke up last night and this morning with a pretty raging headache. Now before you all start tweakin', I've already read thru the CrazyMeds page on lamictal, and I know this is one of the potential side effects. but I guess I'm just wondering if its possible to get them from just one dose, and such a small one at that, even though I know thats how lamictal is usually started. I don't know if this headache is cuz of the med, or just a headache, you know? i don't have THE DEATH RASH or any other side effects my doc seemed so worried about, so I'm a little hesitant to call him, in case he wants to pull it right away. I dunno, thoughts, experiences? I'm just worried i'm worrying about nothing.

- hannah

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i got headaches from lamictal pretty much instantly as well.  each day would slowly get a little easier on the head and then boom, i'd have to increase again and it would start all over - but last a shorter amount of time with each increase.  i've also noticed if i miss a dose i get the same type of headache.  i've been level on 100 mg/ day, taken at night, for 3-4 weeks now and hadn't had the headache for 75% of that time.  well, until i missed one last night...

so it does get better!  just takes some time.

- hannah

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi sk8punk49

i am just starting my lamictal treatment and i found that the first 3 days were the worst.  i had horrible nausea and a vicious headache that just wouldnt go away.  im now on my 3rd week and am at 25mg - upped from 12.5mg yesterday and i have the nausea (not as bad) but the headache isnt nearly as bad.

my doc said each titration level should add a bit of discomfort but you SHOULD see them disappear...

xo

tal

• 1 month later...

- hannah

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How's your headache doing? Just started yesterday 25 MG annoying headache for two days (to put it mildly), stomach yucky too. I've got a gig tomorrow... Can I just skip a  day? Also bad clenching of the teeth; probably why I have the headache. I've got TMJ as it is. Lousy sleep last night too! How ya doing after a month? Time for a valium!

Jon

My Lamictal headache was really bad at first, then diminished.  I found that none of the aspirin, tylenols, whatever, actually helped with the headache.  So I tried caffeine, and that did help.

The good news for me is that when the pdoc put me on lithium, the lamictal headaches went away almost immediately.

Jerod: Can I simply not take it tomorrow? I can't afford to feel lousy? nottimlm is right, no headache remedies work, I usually take about 600 mg of good old ibuprofen and no problem. I take Axid for the stomach, but I had to eat half a roll of tums to settle things down.

Just by coincidence, I just started a round of steroids for a case of pleurisy that won't go away. You know, the blister pack, MethylPREDNISolone I think? Any known drug interactions? I guess I can check that web page...

jafco, this is just my experience...

when I've had to take the pred pulse for other reasons, it would make me feel Bad, as in...wanting to puke, headache, bitchy...it was a toss up as to whether I could take enough of it to help or quit it 'cause of the effects. Sometimes I could finish it, sometimes not.

It's a hard drug to take, imo.

spike

good luck!

jafco, this is just my experience...

when I've had to take the pred pulse for other reasons, it would make me feel Bad, as in...wanting to puke, headache, bitchy...it was a toss up as to whether I could take enough of it to help or quit it 'cause of the effects. Sometimes I could finish it, sometimes not.

It's a hard drug to take, imo.

spike

good luck!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Spike

Looks like I've got a double header going. I've also increased my EFXR over the past few days so that's got me ramped up.

Sometimes the easiest solution is staring you right in the face. I'll just take the Pred the Lamictal and the xtra 75 mg of EFXR when I get home from the gig. Why didn't I think of that to begin with?

John

Thanks everyone. It all worked out! I took the xtra meds in the pm and all is well. The pred course is only for 6-7 days, I'll be done in a few days. Not to worry! I hope?

Cry me Blood!

John

Rastaman in a former life!

Thanks everyone. It all worked out! I took the xtra meds in the pm and all is well. The pred course is only for 6-7 days, I'll be done in a few days. Not to worry! I hope?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love replying to my own posts!

Listen guys, this headache and nausea stuff is insane. I haven't taken the steroids for days now, and the EFXR never made me sick. It's definately the Lamactil. It says take at bedtime? This stuff has me running around like the energizer bunny, Im clenching like mad. The NAUSEA!!! Yeah I know it's a side effect, but that doesn't make me feel any better. Taking my AXID and eating rolls of Tums. Too much calcium? I know of the Benadryl vertigo drill. Is there anything else? I think the xtra 75 mg of EFXR isn't helping the situation either. Oops, wrong fora!

Help!

John

Lamictal can either be energizing or sedating.  It wreaked my sleep.  Now I take it in the morning.  Made a big difference.

The steriods also can screw up your sleep and wind you up for quite a while after quitting them.

A.M.

Try avoiding animal protein or dairy for half a day and see if it helps.  I hit on this quickly and am doing fine, no nausea or pain; get bad digestive problems with meats or more than a little dairy.  Veggies (except for well-cooked bland ones) also disagree with me.

I'm sure it's transient, but it works for now.

Well its been about two weeks now. I'm at 50 mg Lamactil and the nausea and headache have not abated. Especially the nausea... I'm not eating, sleeping like crap, and my anxiety and depression seem worse. My TMJ is the worse it's been, muscles in neck and shoulders I feel like my head could snap off.

I'm well settled in on the 300 mg of EFXR and no longer on the 7 day pred course for the the pleurisy. So those mitigating circumstances are at least a week behind me. So is this stuff helping or hurting?

The only other AC I took, Neurontin,

• 2 years later...
Guest eobermeyer

- hannah

Hello hannah,

I started taking my Lamictal for Bi-polar about 24 hours ago, at about 1 am this mornin i was woke up from a dead sleep and knew something was wrong. I walked to the kitchen to get food, and I hit the floor, i couldn't think, walk, speak. I was paralized. The dosage was only 25 mg and I took like 50 mg of seroquel before bed with alittle weed, and it was crazy. So back to my story, I started eating, then started passing out have actual seizures, never had a sezure my whole life. I tried calling 911 but couldn't for wahtever reason, i couldnt think clearly. After that i tried talking to my roomate she didn't know what I was saying and couldn't figure out waht was going on, i passed out again had a seziure and apprently the paramedics came and rushed me to the hospitle, I had a severe reaction to the drug that almost killed me. But anyways becarful taking that shit, I don't think I am going to continue my treatment for bi=polar. Thats my crazy story, i am going to the neurologist in about an hour..

• 2 years later...

MY STATS: patient(not hlth pro), F, age 26, 150 lbs., 5'3, meds: 100mg/day lamictal now, xanax 6mg/day, Bipolar/PTSD

I only noticed a "headache" when I was titrated up to 300mg/day. Once tapered to 200mg; it stopped. It was not a typical headache for me, but a painful, pulsating throbbing of the right eyeball. I will also say there were other disturbing (non "the rash") side effects that made me want to taper down as well, and I will be happy to share these if you want.

I would suggest you log what you feel each day in terms of possible side effects, etc. and tell your pdoc about these (i bring my log to remember). I always ask about it even if there is any bit of worry so I can have peace of mind.

Archived