The boy's been here before

The other night, I was sitting with the boy (6yrs old), rubbing his feet (he has growing pains) and having a talk about the pets. He suddenly changed the subject. He said "I'm so glad you're my mommy and daddy is my daddy and I'm in this family, because when you were a little girl, I belonged to another family and they were mean to me so I went back to heaven and then I got to be your little boy"

I'm stupified

Croix

That is so sweet ;) That reminds me of what I was always taught about "having the faith of a child." Children's spirits are so pure and beautiful and direct.

I don't believe in reincarnation, myself, so I can't really tell you anything about that part of it. I can say that kids are, without a doubt, amazingly perceptive. I wonder when and where we lose that.

The other night, I was sitting with the boy (6yrs old), rubbing his feet (he has growing pains) and having a talk about the pets. He suddenly changed the subject. He said "I'm so glad you're my mommy and daddy is my daddy and I'm in this family, because when you were a little girl, I belonged to another family and they were mean to me so I went back to heaven and then I got to be your little boy"

I'm stupified

Croix

Oh my God, Croix, that's eerie! But it says a lot about what a great parent you are. You've been fighting tooth and nail to get the boy what he needs to succeed in school and he really appreciates it. He's very lucky to have you as a mom...

hugs...

That is so sweet ;) That reminds me of what I was always taught about "having the faith of a child." Children's spirits are so pure and beautiful and direct.

Faith, I think you mis-spelled "horror show." Re-read what the kid told his mother.

Hopefully, this was something he heard or saw on TV somewhere and will forget when the idea grows stale and something

more interesting comes along. If there IS such a thing as reincarnation, that's the kind of thing best left in the dead-and-buried

past. I cannot see that being helpful information in this life at that age.

Oh come on. I think it's sweet because it obviously expresses his present love and appreciation of his family, not because he said he was unhappy at some past point in time.

As I said, I don't believe in reincarnation, so maybe he did dream it or see it on TV somewhere. That is completely irrelevant. He's six years old! I think it's great that he has a natural awareness of the spiritual that he could apply it to himself and his own life regardless of whether he came up with it himself or not, and I am sure that awareness will evolve and change forms who knows how many times through his life.

Now if he were making multiple references or dwelling on how unhappy he used to be and fixating on that sort of morbid thinking, THEN I'd be worried. But telling his mom one night that he's glad to be where he is? IT'S SWEET, DAMMIT.

;)

I do believe in reincarnation.. and children are much more open to such things, because they have no judgment. I'd say don't let the boy know that it freaked you out. Just let him talk, and act like it's no big deal. Really it's nothing to be scared of.

Oh come on. I think it's sweet because it obviously expresses his present love and appreciation of his family, not because he said he was unhappy at some past point in time.

"Mommy, I love you and Daddy" IS sweet, no question there.

Now if he were making multiple references or dwelling on how unhappy he used to be and fixating on that sort of morbid thinking, THEN I'd be worried.

Exactly. It's a bad line of thought to encourage at an age where fantasy, consensual reality, and spirit aren't

so very far apart. I know it's maybe not realistic, but a six-year-old should NOT have to understand that

some families can be that mean to their children.

On further thought, it's probably in the top five most emotionally damaging things I can think of to have

told my mother at that age - but that has to do with specific family issues.

He may have synthesized this idea from media sources or he may be sharing his experience and interpretation of the spiritual realm. Either way, it's not a big deal unless one of you makes it into one. If this is something important that he brings up repeatedly, then determining the source and significance of this thought would be more important. As a one-off comment, I'd suggest you simply let it slide. Don't harp on it and don't deny it. If he wants to bring it up, let him. If he wants to have a dialogue about this thought, listen closely and be nonjudgmental in your words. If necessary find someone to help you get some background on reincarnation. (I'd offer, but I don't know much.)

He's your son. Kids say odd things, some of which makes sense to adults and some of which does not. Not every baffling remark will be some delightfully humorous observation to be shared with the grandparents over coffee. Whatever they say, they're still themselves. You're a great mom. He even says so. You can learn more about reincarnation if it will make you feel better. You'll continue to figure out what kinds of support he needs along the way.

Children often come up with some astounding sayings. They obtain it the same way that the stuff of dreams are made of is obtained. That is it could be imagination, something they heard or saw, or it may be something spiritual. If their thoughts are black, then there is a problem. Evil is at work, more commonly called MI. If the thoughts are positive it is only a part of spiritual development, whether imagined or not. There is no need to be alarmed. Encourage the positive thoughts, but without alarming the child try to get the attention off anything negative. ;)

When I was very young I would talk about how "When I was big I used to... " and my mom would try to correct me, saying, "You mean that when you get big you want to do..." Now I can't explain what I was talking about. At the time I meant to refer to the past, not the future. I think I was talking about memories that weren't from this life, but now I can't remember those memories much beyond a wisp. If they were dreams then I was dreaming about being an adult. Whatever it was, it has had no effect whatsoever on my current life.

I also read "Many lives, Many masters". It's really interesting. It's written by a pdoc who's patient let him share her story about reincarnation.

I didn't make a big deal about it. I just said, "That's interesting, Me and Daddy are very happy that you are our kid too" and gave him a hug.

I'm not even sure what I believe in, so I'm certainly not going to tell him what to believe in. When we talk about such things (though they rarely come up) I tell him that lots of different people believe lots of different things and it's his job to learn about every possibility and decide for himself when he's older what he wants to believe in.

It's the only time he's ever said anything like that so I really don't have any bases of comparison. If he brings it up again, I'll have to decide from there what to say about it.

Latin, We've always called him The Boy. It started when I was pregnant with him before we had a name. It stuck. We don't call him that when we talk to him. We just refer to him as such to other people.

Croix

Evil is at work, more commonly called MI

that's one of the most absurd and ignorant statements I have ever read.

I do wish you people who seem to turn nasty at the smallest of things, would at least give me the benefit of a clearer explanation of your misinterpretations, so that I may have the benefit of explaining myself or withdrawing my comments. In history there is often reference to people having demons, we with our present knowledge prefer to call it mental illness. If mental illness is not a demon, then I do not know what is. Whether you take this as factual or figurative is up to you. My belief is that evil forces do medal with our minds. Since this site is about non physical beliefs, I am entitled to make such statements. If you find them offensive, then don't read or post here, go to something more of your liking. My intentions on this site are to give friendship and comfort to others. Anti social behaviour is not allowed, that is why there are moderators. I do hope that you will take this on and be more patient with me in the future as I am in no way trained in social or medical work and what I write could and often is wrong or badly written.

Children often remember a lot of where we come from. This statement, although freaky, would not seem unusual at all to us if we "remembered". But we don't. We are filled with other information and so forget where we come from and become terrified to go back.

Makes no sense to me.

Breeze

If mental illness is not a demon, then I do not know what is. Whether you take this as factual or figurative is up to you. My belief is that evil forces do medal with our minds. Since this site is about non physical beliefs, I am entitled to make such statements.

and the rest of us are entitled to ask you to either (a)prove we have demons, or (b)stfu and take those beliefs somewhere you know they'll be appreciated. this is a PSYCH site, not a fucking christian chat room.

you have no idea what statements like that mean to people with DID. many of us have been put through the horror of "exorcisms" in the name of treatment (a treatment, i might add, that only added additional ptsd for every victim i've ever met). you wanna advocate for that attitude here and i think you can reasonably expect to be challenged pretty quick.

yep we've got the right to free speech. however, i challenge you to imagine how you'd feel if i began jumping in on your spiritual posts to express that "jesus christ was a three-headed manbearpig bent on creating pedophiles in service of the dark lord". cause those are my beliefs so nyah." not very nice - or necessary - of me, is it?

anybody who thinks they can be more diplomatic re: this position please feel free to help me out here heh. i'm too pissed off to say it nicely. i don't expect to see this shit here, at least not from members.

- lysergia

ps. sorry to threadjack, Croix.

i think what your son said was heartwarming, no matter what the explanation.

my daughter once asked me if i could remember where we lived when we were monkeys. turned out that her father had tried (failingly) to explain evolution to a four year old! she's fifteen now, but to this day her room is decorated with hanging monkeys everywhere ;)

For the three of you I've noticed in this MI/evil war of the worldviews, and anyone else who might feel inclined to jump in, please do not sidetrack Croix's thread further. If somebody else would like to start a discussion on mental illness, spirituality, and you associated experience, please start a new thread and keep things respectful. Any further posts here on this alternate topic will be split and moved.

Croix, in my humble opinion you did well. I wish more of the kids I used to work with had parents like you.

My girlfriend's youngest son (not the MI older son) used to ask her when the "Donkadids" were going to come back in visit. You see, they had this space ship shaped like a triangle and they had cool machines, but their dog was mean and he didn't like the dog. I think he was 2 1/2 at the time. He wanted to dress up like Donkadid for Halloween and got mad at mom for not knowing what they looked like. My friend just aplogized for not being able to help with the costume....and he forgot about the whole thing after a couple of months.

We think he either walked in on dad watching a sci-fi movie or heard something from some older kids about aliens and had a dream about it...who knows for sure. But to this day we still laugh about the Donkadids and acuse her of being impregnanted by aliens. This would explain so much about her family...LOL

I wonder what a Donkadid looks like? Some kids just have better imaginations than others, who knows.

Thanks lmnop

Croix

;) My apologies for the interruption to your more pleasant thread. I can only iterate what others have said. The fact that your child has noticed your supreme parenting skills at such a tender age is quite a complement to you. What a pleasant place the world would be with more people like you, we would have a world of happy well adjusted children. Peace be with you all.

Who knows Croix...LOL

I just think it is really interesting that kids put these things together in their heads (past memories? dreams? guesses?) and they are so nonchallant about these ideas....having no idea that many people would freak out if they heard...LOL. My friend's son just assumed Donkadids visited everyone...could NOT figure out why mom didn't know what they looked like! (Stupid mom!)

I think you handled it great ;)

Archived